Online Sexism

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Re: Online Sexism

Postby Ama_ on Fri May 24, 2013 10:42 am

I like to think Neandertals were more evolved than people belonging to this group :roll:

Ama_

Player: Λmα_
STEAM_0:0:37787598

Postby The Sinner on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:12 am

I just joined UKCS and read you post.

Lack of life experience, therefore understanding and knowledge rather than malice is the root of much sexism in online gaming. As a child I used racist, sexist language with little understanding of the meaning of what I said. I was conditioned to have such attitudes, it was at a time when racism and sexism on TV was funny. I was a product of my environment and peers, it take's time to learn to think for oneself.

I suspect that much of the sexism comes from the younger players who haven't quite got it yet.
I think, at least in the West we are enlightened enough to be attempting to solve the problem of sexism in society.
I just it wasn't so deeply entrenched.

There is no place for any kind of discrimination anywhere on the planet not just UKCS servers.
Children of all races, creeds and nationalities will happily play together, until an adult tells them lies.... Indoctrination the only legal form of child abuse.
The Sinner
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Ŧħξ $іηηξг
STEAM_0:0:5055243

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Why won't this thread die already! :cheers:
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby Allan Ocelot on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:28 pm

Gh0st.IRE wrote:Why won't this thread die already! :cheers:

Because online sexism (or sexism in general) still exists?

I spoke to someone today who could not understand how the term "Mankind" (used to define our species) was sexist.
- Knowledge is a curse but ignorance is worse - Neil Hannon.
Allan Ocelot
UKCS Sponsor

Player: ALLAN OCELOT - "The Bard"
STEAM_0:0:33578867

Postby Binerexis on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:43 am

because people still giggle at HOMOsapien.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:54 am

Its just peoples propensity for turning a word to their own use, since their is nothing to describe something in the first place, or the words to describe that something, they either dislike or think is inappropriate.

Choose any word shorten it, or give it an abbreviation and put it into regular use to describe something or someone, and it changes the original meaning of a word.

Take the word sexism, it is a modern word made up by someone and put into regular use, and originally was defined as chauvinistic men's behaviour towards women. Now the definition has been extended, to include women's behaviour towards men.

Whenever there is an issue, people will always try to narrow things down and put people into a frame of mind, of them and us. Maybe we should invent a word that means we accept each other, or have they already ? :) , so many words, can mean so many things, to so many people. :)
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Seraphina on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:32 am

Allan Ocelot wrote:I spoke to someone today who could not understand how the term "Mankind" (used to define our species) was sexist.

Really? That's sexist? Assume I'm sexist too then because I don't find the word sexist or insulting or whatever you want to call it.
Can't people just use words without trying to find a hidden meaning behind them?
Maybe the word mankind was originally meant to be sexist or maybe it wasn't? Is it possible that it's just a shorter version of huMAN KIND?
Some things are just taking it too far....wayyyyy too far!
You've had your last regrets, reached your final depths, deepest pits.
Stepped aside for the world to pass you by, chose to leave the fear.
You are stuck in a world of deadlocks...
Seraphina
Home Member

Player: Seraphina
STEAM_0:1:8420977

Postby Enigma on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:48 am

Allan Ocelot wrote:
Gh0st.IRE wrote:Why won't this thread die already! :cheers:

Because online sexism (or sexism in general) still exists?

I spoke to someone today who could not understand how the term "Mankind" (used to define our species) was sexist.
I don't understand how is it sexist either.
Enigma
UKCS Sponsor

Player: nice dead server lmao
STEAM_0:1:29505170

Postby re# Skilgannon on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:59 am

nope its not sexist

dictionary definition is "the human race; human beings collectively without reference to sex; humankind."
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby Allan Ocelot on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Seriously you guys.
MAN-kind.

Every phrase used to define us as an entity in the universe is "Mankind".
I know its level 90000 sexism, but you cannot have one rule for one and one for another :scratch: .

Its way over the top, but my point stands. Equality in everything is the way forward not just "please don't pick on females for this, please don't pick on males for this".
Allan Ocelot
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Binerexis on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:32 pm

Allan Ocelot wrote:Every phrase used to define us as an entity in the universe is "Mankind".

Homosapiens.
Sapiens.
Humans.
Humankind.
Animals.
Carbon-based lifeforms.
Earthlings.
Terrans.
Inhabitants of the system Sol.

I know that two of those words contain 'man' but if we're going down that road then the words 'woman' and 'women' need to be ruled out as sexist too.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that in some texts our species are referred to as Apes or something to that effect so there's that too.

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Allan Ocelot wrote:Seriously you guys.
MAN-kind.

Every phrase used to define us as an entity in the universe is "Mankind".
I know its level 90000 sexism, but you cannot have one rule for one and one for another :scratch: .

Its way over the top, but my point stands. Equality in everything is the way forward not just "please don't pick on females for this, please don't pick on males for this".

Prime example of someone shortening a word, then applying a different meaning to it.

Original Humankind abbreviated version, probably by some sexist dick Mankind. :D

Binerexis wrote:
Allan Ocelot wrote:Every phrase used to define us as an entity in the universe is "Mankind".

Homosapiens.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that in some texts our species are referred to as Apes or something to that effect so there's that too.

Very true Homo-sapiens is 2 words joined together to form another word, Hominidae, or great ape. sapiens or primates of the family Hominidae.

People tend to want to bend words to mean what they want them to mean as in the above statement.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Allan Ocelot on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:55 pm

As I say, It's an Over the top point ;)
I also feel more intelligent from reading Little_Devils post as I am one of those sad chaps that enjoy saying long words when discussing evolution ;)
Homindae has been added to the ocelot book of "Words used to defeat religious sods" (£4.99 amazon)
Allan Ocelot
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Snowbat on Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:37 am

There is a point where political correctness just becomes silly.
There have been stories of really over the top political correctness. Like this kid who got banned from XBawks Live because he lives in a place that is genuinely called Fort Gay (and "gay" is a banned word)
Or the case where someone demanded that the typical "ho ho ho!" from Santa be banned because "ho" sounded too much like the derogatory term for a prostitute. Or when people find the term "master and slave" for a Hard Drive too offensive.

A certain degree of political correctness is good, but there are limits. I mean... seriously...
Snowbat
Home Member

Player: Snowbat
STEAM_0:1:1977404

Postby Binerexis on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:44 am

That policy on Xbox was changed when users stopped using sexual identities as derogatory terms.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Berath on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:31 am

True Snowbat.

It also annoys me though when people try and justify rudeness by saying it's their freedom of speech to say it. I remember seeing a lovely photograph of some TF2 cosplayers taken just at the point when one dressed as Saxton Hale proposed to his girlfriend dressed as an Engineer. Everyone around them looked so happy.

But a whole load of comments were just being horrible about the body shapes of both. Then when these people were called out, they said it was 'their human right to say what they wanted' and 'what about freedom of speech'

To my mind being rude does not equal freedom of speech. To try and claim it does is an insult in a world where journalists and reporters still risk being killed and imprisoned for revealing truths in repressive regimes.

Berath's Brain Burps; you know it makes no sense
Berath
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: (=WDG=) Berath
STEAM_0:1:23915483

Postby Binerexis on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:50 am

Being rude IS protected free speech. It does not, however, automatically make you not a dick for being rude.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Snowbat on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Berath wrote:True Snowbat.

It also annoys me though when people try and justify rudeness by saying it's their freedom of speech to say it. I remember seeing a lovely photograph of some TF2 cosplayers taken just at the point when one dressed as Saxton Hale proposed to his girlfriend dressed as an Engineer. Everyone around them looked so happy.

But a whole load of comments were just being horrible about the body shapes of both. Then when these people were called out, they said it was 'their human right to say what they wanted' and 'what about freedom of speech'

To my mind being rude does not equal freedom of speech. To try and claim it does is an insult in a world where journalists and reporters still risk being killed and imprisoned for revealing truths in repressive regimes.

There is a Flemmish Extremist party in Belgium that often uses free speech to promote their racist bullshit. They're especially anti-Islam. While I agree extremist Muslims are not welcome here, they're flat out racist and when someone says something about it, they say it's free speech.

One day, I was having a chat with one of these guys who vote for this party. They said that being racist and hating on Arabs was "freedom of speech".
I asked if it was also freedom of speech when an extremist calls upon all Muslims to commit violence against the West. I also asked if it was free speech if I were to publicly compare the head of his party with Hitler and Goebbels.

He didn't know what to reply.

Free speech is good and all, but there is a limit here. Common decency should be taken into account. Yes, over-the-top political correctness is absurd, but that doesn't mean one should have the right to go spread hatespeech on everyone he doesn't like.
Common sense and decency... that's all it takes.
Snowbat
Home Member

Player: Snowbat
STEAM_0:1:1977404

Postby Binerexis on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Free Speech isn't 'free' if there's a limit. What they were able to say is free speech and what you were able to say is free speech.

I feel that this thread is going WILDLY off topic.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Previous

Return to Thinkers Topics