gun Control

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Re: gun Control

Postby Wizav on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:52 am

Dildos are illegal in Texas but guns aren't.

Probably explains the low number of dildo-related murders in the area.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:32 am

There are 80 million registered gun owners in the NRA in America, as far as I know.

Taking their guns, which in America, is part of their way of life, will not happen. There'll literally be a modern day civil war in America.
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby Binerexis on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:37 pm

For all their talk of starting a civil war if guv'ment come to tek our gunz, it would be over within a few days. Mostly due to tanks in the sense of the army has them, the civilians do not.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby ApacheFlame on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:18 am

Hmm, it appears that Obama agrees with me:

BBC News
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby Bobbobthebob on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:19 am

Binerexis wrote:For all their talk of starting a civil war if guv'ment come to tek our gunz, it would be over within a few days. Mostly due to tanks in the sense of the army has them, the civilians do not.

Iraq and Afghanistan are both great examples of why that's wrong. Counter-insurgency is messy, drives up civilian casualties and generates more insurgents. Now imagine that happening in the America with the difference being that you're telling soldiers to shoot their compatriots. (America's still a long way from a civil war anyway, no matter what some blowhards might say).

MrsSekhmet wrote:Why would one want to have a gun in the first place, if you are, as apache is, a hobbyist, I can get that. But if you're not, what is the added value of having one?
Mainly for hunting or killing pests. Things like shooting rabbits on a farm or culling red deer (which until we bring back wolves is always going to be necessary) are good reasons. On the other hand, grouse and pheasant shooting is pretty much a national disgrace but: it's mostly out of sight for the average Briton, it appeals to a false sense of tradition, those practising it are the same ones with political power and no one really gives a crap about the environment at the best of times.
Bobbobthebob aka His Royal Bobness and Grand High Bob of Bobland
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Player: Bobbobthebob
STEAM_0:0:10020489

Postby ApacheFlame on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:35 am

Bobbobthebob wrote: Mainly for hunting or killing pests. Things like shooting rabbits on a farm or culling red deer (which until we bring back wolves is always going to be necessary) are good reasons. On the other hand, grouse and pheasant shooting is pretty much a national disgrace but: it's mostly out of sight for the average Briton, it appeals to a false sense of tradition, those practising it are the same ones with political power and no one really gives a crap about the environment at the best of times.

Interesting point of view, although I disagree.

If you are killing animals for pest control then you only need a semi automatic rimfire rifle for small prey. If you are hunting larger animal such as deer then a bolt action fullbore rifle is the way forward giving you accuracy at range. What's the point of using an assault rifle?

Assault rifles are built for combat where it matters on the manoeuvrability of the person using the weapon and getting lead out of the barrel quickly. Neither of these are important for hunting larger animals. After one shot the rest of the surrounding animals will scatter.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby Bobbobthebob on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:41 am

I was replying to Mrs. Sekhmet's more general question which seemed to be about firearm ownership in general (although perhaps I misunderstood). I was thinking of people using shotguns for rabbits and whatever the appropriate calibre bolt-action rifle is for deer.

Assault rifles for hunting bunnies is definitely pretty stupid.
Bobbobthebob aka His Royal Bobness and Grand High Bob of Bobland
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Player: Bobbobthebob
STEAM_0:0:10020489

Postby Binerexis on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:59 am

Bobbobthebob wrote:
Binerexis wrote:For all their talk of starting a civil war if guv'ment come to tek our gunz, it would be over within a few days. Mostly due to tanks in the sense of the army has them, the civilians do not.

Iraq and Afghanistan are both great examples of why that's wrong. Counter-insurgency is messy, drives up civilian casualties and generates more insurgents. Now imagine that happening in the America with the difference being that you're telling soldiers to shoot their compatriots. (America's still a long way from a civil war anyway, no matter what some blowhards might say).

The thing is, they won't be fighting an insurgent force, they'll be fighting against gun nuts who couldn't coordinate themselves even if they wanted to. I think that some people give the gun nuts a little bit too much credit in the brain department; they've said that they would wage an all-out war and they would lose in doing so.

If the gun nuts were part of a larger organisation who were fighting against an oppressive government with much more support then I would consider it an insurgency but, as it is, I'd be willing to accept that they would kill more of their own members rather than innocents or the opposing force. To be fair, the only people they could really team up with would be those who want the constitution to be followed by the letter and they're more likely to go down the route of peaceful protest and legislation rather than all out war.

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Bobbobthebob wrote:(America's still a long way from a civil war anyway, no matter what some blowhards might say).

I fear you fail to see just how fanatical quite a number of these "pro-gun" people really are. After all, it's only been ~150 years since the last civil war in America.
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby Kaelan002 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Not getting involved in this, but I stumbled across this page by chance. (While looking into css animations, of all things).

http://www.assaultweapon.info/

Apart from being a very pretty site. It explains the so called "assault rifle" blanket term people/media are so fond of using, and using wrongly - useful for linking people to.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby Binerexis on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:52 am

Kaelan002 wrote:Not getting involved in this, but I stumbled across this page by chance. (While looking into css animations, of all things).

http://www.assaultweapon.info/

Apart from being a very pretty site. It explains the so called "assault rifle" blanket term people/media are so fond of using, and using wrongly - useful for linking people to.

Whilst that site does make a valid point, it doesn't mean that the firearms listed are appropriate for self defence for civilians. It goes back to the magazine size issue raised before. Cool, the assault weapon ban is lifted or they're allowed or whatever but why would a civilian need a shotgun where you can load up multiple cartridges? Why would they need a handgun that can carry eight rounds?

This is disregarding the point that the site is very pro-gun and likes to list off that:

". . . there were 8,583 total murders with guns in the United States in 2011, meaning so-called assault weapons were used 0.6% of the time."

8.5k murders with guns in just one year. That's roughly what... 23 deaths a day? I can't help but think that would be lower if there was stricter gun control. As I've said before, I don't see why people see the need to have firearms for self defence in a modern society.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Shuriken on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:42 am

Why they want them is irrelevant, why people want them to want them is quick and dirty population control. I'm all for not killing people but from a capitalist standpoint turnover is desirable, it all just comes back to money
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby sNaKeBiTe on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:31 am

Binerexis wrote:Whilst that site does make a valid point, it doesn't mean that the firearms listed are appropriate for self defence for civilians. It goes back to the magazine size issue raised before. Cool, the assault weapon ban is lifted or they're allowed or whatever but why would a civilian need a shotgun where you can load up multiple cartridges? Why would they need a handgun that can carry eight rounds?

I agree. Also, I understand there are conversions for guns like the AR-15 which make them practically fully automatic while tecnically still being semi automatic (Slide Stock). If you don't know what that is watch this video from 2:20 on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTSNscULt28
How is that not illegal? :scratch:

sNaKeBiTe

Player: sNaKeBiTe
STEAM_0:1:10928581

Postby Binerexis on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:40 pm

Shuriken wrote: I'm all for not killing people but from a capitalist standpoint turnover is desirable, it all just comes back to money

So THAT'S why they were so against free healthcare! ;)

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Little_Devil on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Switzerland does not have a standing army, instead opting for a people's militia for its national defense. The vast majority of men between the ages of 20 and 30 are conscripted into the militia and undergo military training, including weapons training. The personal weapons of the militia are kept at home as part of the military obligations; Switzerland thus has one of the highest militia gun ownership rates in the world

Switzerland trails behind only the U.S, Yemen and Serbia in the number of guns per capita; between 2.3 million and 4.5 million military and private firearms are estimated to be in circulation in a country of only 8 million people. Yet, despite the prevalence of guns, the violent-crime rate is low: government figures show about 0.5 gun homicides per 100,000 inhabitants in 2010. By comparison, the U.S rate in the same year was about 5 firearm killings per 100,000 people, according to a 2011 U.N. report.

If that doesn't make you stop and think as to the mentality of USA citizens, the I don't know what will.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Aceo on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:37 am

I'd say the main difference is the way in which the right/privilege is worked in the society. In the USA it's very much every one 'deserves' a gun and 'should' have one. While in Switzerland you have a full training program, US has barely any requirement, and then along side that will be safety, psychological training in tough situations and a much less focus on guns being for rising up against the Government and more as working with the Government.

Again, that is another country which I would say has very sane Gun Control, if only due to the training requirements. When guns are a free for all, I don't see how that could ever have ended well.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Previous

Return to Thinkers Topics