Biologists Create 'Zombie Cells'

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Biologists Create 'Zombie Cells'

Postby Templar+ on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:42 am

Biologists Create 'Zombie Cells' In The Lab Which Outperform Living Counterparts

Source - http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/02 ... 84959.html

Biological researchers have created dead 'zombie' cells in the lab which outperform living cells.

Seriously.

A team at Sandia National Laboratories and the University of New Mexico have innovated a technique whereby mammalian cells are coated with silica to form a near-perfect replicas.

The silica replicants can survive greater pressures and temperatures than flesh, and perform many functions better than the original cells did when alive.

By painting the cells with silicic acid in a petri dish, the acid embalms the organic matter in the cell down to the nanometer level.

The silica then acts as a permeable armour, according to Michael Hess at the American Office of Public Affairs.

That means the cell beneath can be used as a catalyst at far greater temperatures than normal.

Heating the silica to around 400C evaporates the protein in the cell, but leaves the silica as a three-dimensional replica of the "formerly living being", Hess said.

"The difference is that instead of modeling the face, say, of a famous criminal, the hardened silica-based cells display internal mineralized structures with intricate features ranging from nano- to millimeter-length scales."
The valuable biological material can thus be converted into a reusable fossil, which could have uses in fuel cells, decontamination and sensor technology, as well as commercial manufacturing.

Lead researcher Bryan Kaehr said in a statement that the research distinguishes between a mummy cell and a zombie cell.

"Our zombie cells bridge chemistry and biology to create forms that not only near-perfectly resemble their past selves, but can do future work," he said, terrifyingly.
Templar+
Old Timer

Player: Templar+
STEAM_0:0:10400303

Re: Biologists Create 'Zombie Cells'

Postby m0lineux on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:45 am

Interesting read, you got a source link for this?
m0lineux
UKCS Admin

Player: Tickler
STEAM_0:1:2177441

Postby Templar+ on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:57 am

Yea sorry forgot about that - added to the thread.
Templar+
Old Timer

Postby Binerexis on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:06 pm

That doesn't sound like a zombie cell, it sounds like a replica of the cell which, in some cases, can function as the original cell once all organic material has been vaporised. The piece also doesn't explain how the synthetic replica of the cell can actually do any of the things it listed.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Templar+ on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:51 pm

I agree it does sound a bit odd.
Templar+
Old Timer

Postby Binerexis on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:43 pm

It's one of those situations where the person reporting on it doesn't actually understand what's going on; it's the Higgs Boson all over again...
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Return to Thinkers Topics