Wanted: Visionairs for Europe

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Wanted: Visionairs for Europe

Postby Wombat on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:26 am

Ireland, can we borrow your president please?

It's been a long time since I've seen someone with a vision in Europe...
Last edited by Gh0st.IRE on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the embedded video link!
If you smile at life, life will smile back!
Wombat
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: [RS]Wombat
STEAM_0:0:516408

Re: Wanted: Visionairs for Europe

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:23 am

Fantastic speech.
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby EWJ on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:00 am

Michael D is a class act. Glad he got the presidency.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Sir Bob Geldof on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:31 am

great president indeed
Sir Bob Geldof
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Geldof Section 9
STEAM_0:0:13484122

Postby Ger-h on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:53 am

excellent speech
Ger-h
Executive Admin
Maptesting Head
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Official Executive Teaboy™

Player: Ger
STEAM_0:1:35307921

Postby Wombat on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:45 pm

It's men like this we need in Europe right now, but unfortunately there are so little. You can not lead a nation / continent if you don't have a clue where you're going...
If you smile at life, life will smile back!
Wombat
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: [RS]Wombat
STEAM_0:0:516408

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:30 pm

Certainly has the Irish blarney :P :)

No idea what the presidency does, but going by the first 5 mins of the speech it would appear to be a lot of waffle, however when he gets warmed up, he actually shows more understanding of the economics of the EU, than many politicians and supposed economic advisers.

He does bring up some good points as in ratings agencies Its just a shame that the majority of politicians, have little understanding of basic economics, let alone give us a solution to a problem created by the Banksters and Politicians such as the Conservatives in the UK.

The problem with the UK, is Maggie Thatcher took a U.S. model, and deregulated the financial sector, despite warnings from leading financial experts, and was told that the system that the Conservative Government was planning would lead to a financial system of boom and bust, (prosperity for relatively few and recession for the majority) This has not only proven to be correct, but when the system is abused by the Banksters, has shown that countries that rely on the fiat system of currency, can and will collapse financially, when these people pursue their own financial wealth. Greedy individuals saying more for me, screw everyone else.

When you strip away the blarney of this guys speech, he has some very powerful points of view, that need listening to and acting upon.

I wish he was PM of this country so that he could not only set the idiot politicians, we have, straight, but with his policies actually give us a financial system that works for the many, not the few. :D
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:38 pm

Little_Devil wrote:
No idea what the presidency does, but going by the first 5 mins of the speech it would appear to be a lot of waffle, however when he gets warmed up, he actually shows more understanding of the economics of the EU, than many politicians and supposed economic advisers.

Essentially the Irish president is an ambassador for the country and as such travels around the globe building relationships with other governments and things of that nature. Michael D. Higgins himself is a poet, teacher and fluent Irish speaker too, if I'm not mistaken.
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:45 pm

More tongue in cheek comment than actually wanting to know. :D

None the less, we in the UK should vote to kick out, that idiot David Cameron, and put Michael Higgins in his place :P
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby Flare on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:44 pm

While I was only about 2 at the time, my parents (Welsh) living in S.Wales at the time, seen Thatcher in a different light.

They described a era where the unions got too greedy when they got a whiff of power versus the companies and a weak goverment, were wrecking the British economy with strikes and constant demands.
Mines got closed when it got too expensive to pull the coal out, steel industry collapsed when it was far cheaper to buy in other countries without such high wage requirements.
The Falklands was dealt with in a manner that is suitable for a leader of a country to deal with invaders and attackers of citizens of the country, Falklands and the people there are British, same as if the attack was on the UK mainlands itself.

I would put our current woes squarely in the laps of Blair and Brown to be honest, to warping the idea of a free EU market into actually joining the EU, of handing over major concessions to the EU leadership for favours with the EU members, for squandering when the UK finally managed to clear its WWII debt, for taking the easier route of borrowing heavily to deal with the economic crisis instead of identifying wasteful projects, and severely lack of ability to implement tough but needed measures... too scared to annoy its union masters, and not willing to risk losing votes with unpopular but needed measures.

Camaron and co are not doing a good job, but that is more to do with being tied to the useless Libdems who hamstring any attempts to steer the British economy back to stability with overly idealistic agendas... they are the ball and chain on Camerons legs and it is no surprise he is struggling.
Labour on the other hand dont seem to have ideas on how to fix issues and would rather sit around and make sarky comments which rankle even more when its them that caused the issues in the first place.

HOWEVER... this is my limited viewpoint, and the viewpoint of my parents who left the country at the time because of all the strikes and instability. We went to Africa , eventually living in South Africa in a booming steel town.
I dont think Labour can provide the UK with the correct leadership, unless I am very much mistaken it is tied to the unions who only worry about themselves and their members (bloated public sector was the result, and will be again... yes work but no income for the country).
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:29 pm

It just goes to show what misinformation and the power of a controlled News service and Press can do.

Lets see now, the actual facts, rather than the rhetoric, and this is why they called it 10 years of misrule under Thatcher.
Fiscal policies were to be introduced by Thatcher which is based on boom and bust, for there to be a boom, there must be a bust, the bigger the bust the better off the rich will be afterwards.

The reality of the Steel works and the coal mines is that in the private sectors of industry at that time, workers were being paid more than they were in state run companies. Also every time a Conservative government came along, they did as they do now, call for cut cut cut in spending. This left state owned companies in a very poor state of repair, and of course efficiency could not be maintained because they did not have the modern machinery to produce things efficiently. This along with paying workers poorly, led to the strikes so that a decent living could be earned. Labour did try to improve this, but with the never ending Cons coming in, it was always going to be a game of catch-up
Along comes Maggie who couldn't give a crap about any manufacturing industry in this country, and just wanted easy money to make her look good. So she sells off the gold reserves, which helps pay for the tax cut she gives everyone, destroys nearly all manufacturing in this country. sells off every money making company the state has ever owned and deregulates the financial sector. Investors fall over themselves to buy up state run companies, to actually seeing a nice little wind fall for themselves, and they sure as hell got it.
North sea oil, Electricity companies, Gas Water. Even the French government gets in on the act buying out utility companies in the UK under guise of their own government backed companies like EDF.
As far as fiscal companies go, David Camerons father, a part of Maggies government, set up his own company to sell financial information to companies on how to avoid paying Income Tax, and made millions out of, which upon his death went to his siblings.

Maggie even put in place the current NHS set-up against all the advice given to her at that time, and now this government are trying to change it yet again. The only time Maggie backed down from a strike action and that was when she tried to go too far with the NHS, by wanting to sell off huge swathes of it.

To say that she misruled this country is an understatement, and this load of clowns in Government that tell us we need to tighten our belts, then pay for her funeral out of public funds is a disgrace. We have not paid for any Prime Ministers funeral since Winston Churchill and he deserved it, this woman did not. Nye Bevan and Clement Attlee, were given private funerals, and they both deserved better than she did.

Thank god for the Lib-Dems holding this gang of crooks in check, who even now would like to pull the wool over everyone's eyes. Pity Lib Dem and labour could not be trusted to stop a public funeral of this nature, just shows how far to one side all these parties have swung these days.

Quite a lot of Nero's we have in this country, right from the top down. They all fiddle whilst the rest of us burn.

Just a foot note and quite solid proof that Politicians in general are useless at fiscal matters, and that is for everyone to look at the Icelandic model and what they did after the financial crisis. That country has turned itself around, and not by tightening their belts, but actually helping the people of their country. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-2 ... rect-.html

As I said before get rid of the lot of em and put Michael D Higgins in there place. :D
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Return to Thinkers Topics