Should poor/homeless people be allowed to steal?

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Should homeless/poor people be allowed to steal to a certain extent?

Fully agree
5%
Agree
3%
Neutral
13%
Disagree
11%
Fully Disagree
63%
Not sure
5%

Total votes : 38

Should poor/homeless people be allowed to steal?

Postby Dargenor on Tue May 14, 2013 3:13 pm

This is a very two sided topic, on the one hand if the person is homeless and it was not their fault, then maybe it is there only way? Maybe it's the only thing they CAN do to survive?

On the other hand, any kind of robbery is wrong and should not have exceptions but then maybe we need to supply for the homeless to a larger extent?

I'm going to leave it here for this post, thoughts?

Dargenor
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Dargenor
STEAM_0:1:28811257

Re: Should poor/homeless people be allowed to steal?

Postby Synaphix on Tue May 14, 2013 3:42 pm

I fully disagree. I myself have lived on the streets for a three month stretch when I was younger and whether hungry or not I never thought of stealing. I get your point that you feel the need to do it just to survive but there are other ways to cope whilst on the streets and people are willing to help you so why steal from others when you are being given a chance even if its a little bit of soup or a warm beverage.
No. I am not a nice man. It's important that you understand that. It's going to save you a great deal of time and effort. There is not a warmer, kinder me waiting to be coaxed out into the light. I am acerbic. I can be cruel. It's who I am. Right to the bottom. I'm neither proud of this, nor ashamed of it. It simply is. And in my work, my nature has been an advantage far more often than it has been a hindrance. I'm not gonna change.

- Sherlock, Elementary
Synaphix
UKCS Admin

Player: Synaphix
STEAM_0:1:36281577

Postby Dargenor on Tue May 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Yes, as you are talking from experience you have a rather large point but may I say, supermarkets make billions in profit and say a value loaf of bread, is that really a big deal? To a potential child who is homeless?

Dargenor
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Synaphix on Tue May 14, 2013 3:54 pm

And as I say again, you have charities which people donate to to provide food to these people, if they are not going there then that is their own fault. I used to walk miles from place to place each night hoping for a bed for the night and sometimes even missing out on food.

I get your point but there is ways to eat and get shelter or get out of it if you try and wait it out however hard it is. There is also groups who collect the food chucked out by supermarkets at the end of the night to distribute to the homeless, cake shops etc who give their bread at the end of the day, so why rob from them when they help?
No. I am not a nice man. It's important that you understand that. It's going to save you a great deal of time and effort. There is not a warmer, kinder me waiting to be coaxed out into the light. I am acerbic. I can be cruel. It's who I am. Right to the bottom. I'm neither proud of this, nor ashamed of it. It simply is. And in my work, my nature has been an advantage far more often than it has been a hindrance. I'm not gonna change.

- Sherlock, Elementary
Synaphix
UKCS Admin

Postby Flare on Tue May 14, 2013 4:03 pm

That is the path to anarchy, today we steal a loaf to live tomorrow who makes the new loaf ? The baker cannot or will not make loaves if the poor simply steal them (and are allowed to get away with it).
The baker needs the money to supply and live, or the baker will be poor and need to steal to live.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Dargenor on Tue May 14, 2013 4:07 pm

Fair points, moving slightly away from topic, I still feel there is not enough support for homeless people, some circumstances are completely not their fault. From them on the streets, nothing, no food, no suit. Yes they have charities but how many supply a suit and deodorant so they can go get a job? They also need a permanent address usually and if they have no friends, where from there?

Dargenor
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Synaphix on Tue May 14, 2013 4:20 pm

The way that I got myself on track again was through Salvation Army and even though I was not quite old enough to live in their small rooms as I was not deemed as an adult they did help feed me and give advice and actually helped me with documents, contacting support etc to getting on my feet again. And believe it or not but there are people who take you on even in jobs that may seem disgusting and belittling to you but you do it for a little income. There are places to get clothing and bedding even if you have to sleep or live in a corner closed off somewhere.

And as for a permanent address there are ways around this including those little bits of income and renting a P.O. Box etc

- Sherlock, Elementary
Synaphix
UKCS Admin

Postby Dargenor on Tue May 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Fair enough :) In the future, many years from now I intend to once after hopefully having a successful and long career, to open a charity that supports homeless people getting onto their feet and into jobs, I'm extremely passionate about helping others and I honestly can't wait. Thanks for your input Synaphix :)

Dargenor
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Synaphix on Tue May 14, 2013 4:32 pm

There is a show I forgot the name of that the rich move into poor areas for a week and see what is happening and help out (the secret millionaire I think?) and either it was the same show or a similar one that did it via living on the streets too even if America the same concept can apply for doing things here or elsewhere that would be a good thing to check out. You can already help out by volunteering in kitchens or giving out soup on weekends at special events etc, never too young to start!

And yes, I realise that not all homeless are grateful and can be downright rude but the majority of them you come across you may not even realise are homeless as they blend in due to issues about being seen homeless. When I was with my ex in Norwich in 2010 or so there was a guy who we approached and we ended up getting him a sandwich and bottle of water and he was extremely grateful, we stayed with him for about 45 minutes and met some of his friends who did not ask us for anything and explained how people had helped them or how they are clearing things up and able to get a roof over their head or job :D

- Sherlock, Elementary
Synaphix
UKCS Admin

Postby Dargenor on Tue May 14, 2013 4:46 pm

I already help out a lot, I go into Manchester center every weekend or so and give out multiple bottles of water and sandwiches, I already am thinking about helping out in kitchens too and yes it was Secret Millionaire. It's a hard life for some, they don't deserve it in most cases.

Dargenor
UKCS Sponsor

Postby sweetamber92 on Tue May 14, 2013 5:01 pm

Stealing perfectly good food from the bins of supermarkets yes, but steeling peoples stuff / things which are important or worth money to people no.
sweetamber92
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sweetamber92
STEAM_0:0:27295044

Postby Binerexis on Tue May 14, 2013 5:13 pm

I don't see a problem with it so long as it's for survival. There isn't any support for homeless people in my area so, if I was in that position, I would more than likely steal.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby MrsSekhmet on Tue May 14, 2013 5:28 pm

There are foodbanks here and shelters where people can get food, they can even go to local supermarkets to ask for leftovers which aren't able to be sold anymore, so no.

I am so glamorous i piss glitter and sh*t stardust

My life is a constant struggle between being bored and being lazy.
MrsSekhmet
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sekh
STEAM_0:1:40186891

Postby Cotillion on Tue May 14, 2013 5:29 pm

I totally disagree... if i would allow someone to steal because, yeah its a sad story, not his/her fault, and supermarkets make millions, where does it end?
your personal ignis fatuus
Cotillion
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Cotillion \m/
STEAM_0:1:32290831

Postby Dargenor on Tue May 14, 2013 5:39 pm

True point Cotillion but Binerexis has a point, what IF it is the ONLY way to survive?

Dargenor
UKCS Sponsor

Postby sweetamber92 on Tue May 14, 2013 6:20 pm

MrsSekhmet wrote:There are foodbanks here and shelters where people can get food, they can even go to local supermarkets to ask for leftovers which aren't able to be sold anymore, so no.

Here taking leftovers out of a bin from a supermarket is an offense and not even the shop workers are allowed to take to out of date food home. i got massively told off for taking fury cheese when i had a super market job. its like if they cant sell it then no one can have it at all. so all the good food just goes to landfill...
sweetamber92
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sweetamber92
STEAM_0:0:27295044

Postby MrsSekhmet on Tue May 14, 2013 7:08 pm

That's really silly. I do not know if it is legal to take food out of the bin though, I knew lots of people who did it. But if it is good food, why waste it.. Well silly world we live in.

I am so glamorous i piss glitter and sh*t stardust

My life is a constant struggle between being bored and being lazy.
MrsSekhmet
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sekh
STEAM_0:1:40186891

Postby Unspecified on Tue May 14, 2013 7:24 pm

If it were a choice between death or taking a loaf of bread then i couldn't really blame them at all.

Not sure legalising theft is the way to go though. It this opens up a massive can of worms:

Who decides who is allowed to steal and who isn't? Where is the cut off? How much money can you have in your pocket? What about those people who collect/beg/sell big issue but then spend it on cigs/booze/drugs - do they still get to steal their food?
Who decides what they can steal? How much? How often? Bread is ok? What about meat or cheese or toothpaste?
Who decides who they can steal it from? One loaf of bread doesn't matter much to tesco but what about a couple of dozen items from a small local shop every day in some town with lots of homeless?
Are they allowed to steal my wallet to go buy food?
Can they break into my house and raid my fridge?
You mention suits for job interviews - are they allowed to steal those too?
Who has to check who stole what and if it was allowed under the rules?

Being homeless must be awful and its a cycle that's hard to get out out i can see, but i don't see legalising theft as the way to go. Support for homeless may not be great in places, and awful in some, but there are charities and other organisations you can go to if it genuinely is a case between starve or steal a loaf. To be honest i cant remember hearing many cases of homeless people starving to death, so how big an issue actually is this?

I'd fully support more support for the homeless though!
ImageUKCS Head Moderator. Retired Senior TF2 Admin.
Feel free to send me a Image or message me through Image with any questions or problems.
Don't forget that UKCS has an image uploader that's fast and free for all members!

17:43 - Salva: i did find out im not pregnant

One of the UKCS iSeries Clanbox Co-Organisers:
Unspecified
Executive Admin
Head Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: unspecified
STEAM_0:0:2326270

Postby Dargenor on Tue May 14, 2013 9:17 pm

Indeed it's a hard one but my view is maybe if the supermarket caught them, the police should not get involved, it should stay between the supermarket and the homeless man.

More support for homeless people is what I want, so much, in 30 years when I own a large charity, they will be relieved of a lot of stuff they have to go through. (Hopefully)

Dargenor
UKCS Sponsor

Postby I Blame my Mother on Tue May 14, 2013 9:28 pm

Under the present circumstances in this country, with the currently available assistance given freely to those in dire need, it would be very difficult to justify stealing for survival.

Does this make it a moral absolute?

No

In other places or other times, I can understand. I can't bring myself to condone the act but neither can I condemn someone who found themselves in that position.
I Blame my Mother
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Events Deputy Head

Player: I Blame My Mother
STEAM_0:0:5643272

Location: At the late night science fiction double feature picture show.

Next

Return to Thinkers Topics