GCSEs, A-Levels: plans, hopes, dreams?

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

GCSEs, A-Levels: plans, hopes, dreams?

Postby Cole Scuttle on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:30 pm

A-levels came through last week and GCSEs came out today. As a mature student there's less for me to worry about than your average school pupil. I'm looking at a career change out of the retail sector that I'm in currently, and into education, ideally as a tutor for adult learners and preferably teaching functional skills English. In an absolutely ideal world I'd like to teach history to adult learners, but there's just no call for it beyond school level - at least, not to the extent of my qualifications (BA in the subject).

I went back to college to do GCSE English at the grand old age of 44 because one of the prerequisites of the PTLLS-CTLLS-DTLLS courses that I want to take (Preparation, Certificate and Diploma in lifelong learning) is that I must have level 2 maths and English, and at least level three in the subject I want to teach - hence why I was the tallest kid in the class by a good head and shoulders. But having passed GCSE with reasonably flying colours, the next stop is A-level, which is looking a bit pricey at the moment. Anyway, that's my ambition and it's what I'm working towards. What's everyone else looking forward to, and how have you done so far?

Cole Scuttle

Player: Cole Scuttle
STEAM_0:1:6079823

Re: GCSEs, A-Levels: plans, hopes, dreams?

Postby Berath on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:25 pm

No response!

Don't tell me we have no GCSE or A'Level students here......UKCS is getting older :D

Berath's Brain Burps; you know it makes no sense
Berath
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: (=WDG=) Berath
STEAM_0:1:23915483

Re: GCSEs, A-Levels: plans, hopes, dreams?

Postby Dauntless on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:11 pm

I found it was easier to do NVQ lvl 3's which are the equivalent to 2 A-Levels. Most employers agree to it as its tax funded. I suppose this isn't the best way forward for your career change though unfortunately.

I'm doing a city and guilds AutoCAD course at the moment as my employer treats me as a draughtsman without paying the wage to go with it as I have no actual CAD qualifications, just a ton of experience. Once i'm finished my course its bye bye and on to better things (although I've just applied for another job but haven't heard anything yet).
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Return to Thinkers Topics