Scottish Independence

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Scottish Independence

Postby ScottishBanjo on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:45 pm

As the title says, what are you guys thoughts on Scottish independance? I personally think it is a ridiculous idea purely for the fact we wont last on our own. Alex Salmond is a plamph and doesnt have a clue what he is doing 99% of the time. We take more money from the treasury each year than we make and all this talk of import/ exports is flawed simply because what we can provide is easily enough povided by other countries.

No doubt Braveheart will be played on scottish television repeatedly, days before the vote.

ScottishBanjo
Recruit Member

Player: ScottishBanjo
STEAM_0:1:16359495

Re: Scottish Independance

Postby Enigma on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:28 am

I think Scotland will do just fine if not better independent. We have oil, gas, working manufacturing industry and also sixth largest financial centre in Europe. Unemployment in Scotland is lower than south of the border.

Just get rid of the neds (ship them to Shetland) and then it's going to be a beautiful country. Maybe Easterhouse could become suitable for living again.
Enigma
UKCS Sponsor

Player: nice dead server lmao
STEAM_0:1:29505170

Postby ListerofSMEG-2 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:15 am

Whatever the pros and cons of independance, I believe Banjo hit the nail on the head with the fat-headed Salmond. His antics at Wimbledon when Murray won were nothing short of embarrasing - sport & politics should not mix.

If he doesn't win the vote, will he disband the SNP as they would clearly have no place in Scottish politics if their raison d'etre was taken away?
i37 i40 i43 i45(Spec) i46 i49 i52(spec) i55
ListerofSMEG-2
Home Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: ListerofSMEG
STEAM_0:1:5418592

Postby Binerexis on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:32 pm

I don't think it'd be a particularly good idea. If I lived in Scotland, I'd want some pretty convincing evidence to show that we wouldn't be plunged into European debt.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Shuriken on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:51 pm

BUT TEH OILS
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Ger-h on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Doesn't Scotland have the only source of gas in the whole of the uk?. That will help them to live
Ger-h
Executive Admin
Maptesting Head
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Official Executive Teaboy™

Player: Ger
STEAM_0:1:35307921

Postby ScottishBanjo on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Easterhouse is like venturing into a warzone as is where I live, Pollok. I have been bottled 3 times for playing football.

How long will those resources last though? and isnt Norway using it?

Ill do some research saturday and lay an paragraph or 12 for you to pick at. Salmonds actions at wimbeldon were outrageous, no need at all. Also a military force? wouldnt we need one? and with independance we wouldnt have one!

ScottishBanjo
Recruit Member

Postby Enigma on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:16 pm

Isn't Pollok next to Paisley? That would explain a lot. :lol:
Enigma
UKCS Sponsor

Postby ScottishBanjo on Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:59 pm

Yeah right next to it. Basically Silverburn, it's horrid!

ScottishBanjo
Recruit Member

Postby Enigma on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:16 pm

I used to live in Paisley for a while, I know how you feel haha.
Enigma
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Love Muffin on Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:40 pm

I think it will be bad for Scotland, the oil will run out one day and not sure what else there is for them to make money from I think they will have to give England some of the oil revenue. They will have to build their own army and defence or they will have to pay England to help with the defence, the Clyde royal naval base will be moved out of Scotland, probably have to apply to be part of the EU.
Scotland wont be getting any tax from England anymore.

Both countries would be stuck with the same government for a while with Conservative power in England and SNP in Scotland which isn't the best thing

Will Scotland have to make their own currency?
Will Scotland be able to use the NHS or would that go as well?

It's best to stay as the United Kingdom, what will happen to the Union Jack?
Last edited by Love Muffin on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STEAM_0:0:5223960
Liverpool FC
"It's a love story, baby just say yes"

Feel free to add me on Steam
PSN: HoinkDoink

UKCS Facebook
#Banter

-Daztec
Love Muffin
Experienced Member

Player: Love Muffin ت
STEAM_0:0:5223960

Postby I Blame my Mother on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Points of clarification Muffin,

Elections are due in both the UK and Scottish Parliament shortly after the referendum (may 2015 and 2016 respectively)
The Scottish Government appears to prefer the option of continuing to use Sterling as currency unless the EU mandates that they switch to the Euro (this depends of course on a successful application and the Eurozone still being a thing)
Scotland already has its own NHS. All member nations of the UK have their own independently operated health services, each is commonly referred to as the NHS but only the service in England is officially called the "national health service" (the others are called NHS Scotland, NHS Wales and Health and Social Care in Northern Ireland) the different services are totally separate and operate under different management, rules, and political authority.
I Blame my Mother
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Events Deputy Head

Player: I Blame My Mother
STEAM_0:0:5643272

Location: At the late night science fiction double feature picture show.

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:47 pm

All funding for UK and NI NHS comes from London, despite them all having unitary based hospitals. They are all funded by the NHS coffers. so no different.

It all depends on how much independence is allowed doesn't it ?

Oil fields are fed to Scotland and will continue as a major money resource for many years to come, with new fields in the North Sea being found on a regular basis. I have shares in an exploration company which has found a number sources of oil just in the past year, and they are expanding the number of blocks they an test in.
Besides there are other natural resources Scotland can export, like wind and wave power, so energy could still be one of Scotland's main sources of income for the future.
Fishing may actually improve as well, since the can be classed as a different country, along with being able to offer goods free of English Tax laws. It will be entirely down to a new Scottish Government to work out a good deal with the English Government on things like tax and compensation for goods provided.

I think independence can be a good thing, if worked out properly. It could drive Scotland into a more prosperous future, given that every successive English Government has this one track mind of centralising the populace of the UK business inside London. With its high speed rail links, that costs Scottish and the rest of the UK billions, with something that will bring no one else any real benefit, since the Cons always appear to contract out big projects to the Yanks before any UK business.

At least Scotland will be able to Veto payments of Scottish taxes for stupid things this Government want to burden the rest of the UK with.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Salva on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:14 pm

ill wait and see.
in all honesty id love to say yes brilliant lets do it but im still unsure, hell there are loads of pros and loads of cons but as LD says if its done properly it should be good, if its done badly it could be terrible.

but atleast id get a new passport photo
Salva
Always remember kids it's Unspecified's Salva's fault!
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Player: Salva
STEAM_0:1:492410

Postby Ger-h on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:25 pm

whats wrong with your old photo salva?
Ger-h
Executive Admin
Maptesting Head
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Official Executive Teaboy™

Player: Ger
STEAM_0:1:35307921

Re: Scottish Independence

Postby re# Skilgannon on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:31 pm

Think you will find that the Norwegians and big corporations that are mainly US concerns have the legal licences to the oil fields in Scotland and an independant Scotland wouldnt be able to afford the legal bill to rescind them, all the fat defence projects they are currently building in Scottish ship yards would be pulled into English ship yards as well so that would be a huge source of revenue lost too

It really doesnt bother me personally either way but I think the Scottish people need to look long and hard at the ramifications of independance before they vote as they dont have many income streams as a nation that they could control
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby MrRapidByte on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:21 am

I will be voting YES for sure, Scotland will be fine for money and such. Do a little bit of research and you will see. We send a lot of money to westminster and get nothing back.

--Man Has Been and Will Always Be, Simultaneously Fascinated and Terrified of the Unknown.
MrRapidByte

Player: bzrm #Drunk
STEAM_0:0:62627409

Postby cowboyfromhell on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:58 am

MrRapidByte wrote:Do a little bit of research and you will see. We send a lot of money to westminster and get nothing back.

I don't have any strong opinions either way, but a few links of your own as strong evidence supporting this would be very useful, as I can't think of any off the top of my drink-addled head, particularly as so many potential options are not actually controlled by Scotland, as Skilgannon mentioned.
Senior Forum Moderator, CS:GO Admin, ex-TF2 & CSS Admin
Add me to Steam Friends if you need a hand. :)
Use the UKCS Uploader for your pictures, it's free for members!

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
Xerxes wrote:Worst. Senior. Mod. Eva.
cowboyfromhell
Senior Moderator
UKCS Admin

Player: Cowboy
STEAM_0:1:10068175

Postby re# Skilgannon on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:14 am

Really? Nothing? Think you're the one who needs to research a bit or has it escaped your notice that your shipyards were just this week given a multi billion pound contract to build ships for the royal navy, can you really see England awarding those to a foreign nation in future? Or indeed those contracts staying in Scotland should you break away?

All your central government funds come from westminster, those oil and gas fields you are relying on are licensed out for decades to norwegian, us and english companies (including the undeveloped fields) and if you try to rescind those contracts then the support industries that places like Aberdeen rely on wont be given those contracts anymore

The banking industry is up the spout all over and the support centres are being out sourced to places like India so the 2 main industries in Glasgow aren't exactly booming, your government is trying to bring in a minimum price per unit on alcohol (despite the fact its against european competition laws) which will royally shaft distilleries and breweries

There is no real fishing industry left anywhere now so thats not to support you especially with the Scandinavian countries fishing at will in your fishing grounds (and you wont have a navy to police those waters)

Cant really think of many more industries you have that could provide national income

Anyhoo as i said, doesn't bother me either way but you guys need to seriously look into your potential infrastructure for yourselves before you vote and not just take the word of some politicians who aren't exactly known for their honesty ;)
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby BelovedKiller on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:41 am

I'm against independence, the union between England and Scotland seems to work in its current form and I don't think an independent Scotland is set to benefit any further than the United Kingdom will over time.

(Also, can someone edit the topic title, the bad spelling bugs me)
BelovedKiller
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: 제트별 - 冻住,不许走!
STEAM_0:0:22867374

Next

Return to Thinkers Topics