What are your views on the celebrity culture?

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

What are your views on the celebrity culture?

Postby samyboyz on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:27 pm

I remember one time I was watching the news in the morning; the reporter read out that thousands were dying in the Philippines due to the hurricane. That lasts a solid minute. Then gets taken over for about 10 minutes about how miley cyrus was smoking weed.

Does it sometimes slightly sicken you? It's gotten to the point where it's as if some celebrity smoking weed is more important than thousands dying.

samyboyz
Recruit Member

Player: Jaguar
STEAM_0:1:43206231

Re: What are your views on the celebrity culture?

Postby re# Skilgannon on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:37 pm

I think, in part, people avoid news about disasters as it reminds them of

1) their own mortality
2) their own morality
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby Flare on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:16 am

I think the whole world is nuts personally, things like ...

- Laws only university trained people can understand, and only a sub set of the laws, after 5+ years of study ...but each of us are bound to those laws and ignorance is not an excuse.

- Children... in a overpopulated planet, un restricted breeding is not only allowed but free medical means to artificially inseminate those who cant concieve...and the majority of the time by poor people who are unable or unwilling to add to society meaningfully.

- Resources, the majority of which are owned by a fraction of the population who have more than they or thier offspring could actually use in a lifetime... while millions starve for lack of a meal.

- Money, once a conviniance to assist in bartering now the most important factor in virtually anything including preservation of the planet and our own very species...RIP humans, slave to their own creation, couldnt afford to survive :roll:

- More money, paying more to entertainers than defenders of our society, our countries and our health, hell even those entrusted to educate all those bloody kids get far less than some celebraty on a TV show...

- Leadership , hell screw credentials its all about networking and backscratching...we all know it and all moan about but millions of us sit and let 30 - 40 people mess up the place, so those people can have more for themselves and their circle.

- Space on this dirtball is a premium, yet the very breadbasket of this planet is wasted by small despots ruling vast areas of very fertile lands and treating the whole lot as their personal property while millions starve around them... and the world watches.

- Charity, spending millions helping others... so that the leaders of those others dont have to waste money on those...and just splash more cash on the fat cats and warmongers instead creating more refugees.

... yeah , more interest in celebraty gossip over human suffering is up there but basically typical for our nut job of a species... heheh yes there was intelligent life on Earth, but he died a while back...sorry :P
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Security on Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:56 pm

Many people look up too celebrities and hope that some day they might be one of them be it for the money, getting attention, there influence or whatever. At the same time people like to gossip and celebs are very easy targets and the media knows it, it simply is easy money.

People also do not really care about disasters when it is far away, they just look at it, say it is horrible and continue there lives with at most giving something to charity buying away any guilt /social pressure they might feel because now they helped...

Personally I do not care about either, I have no interest in celebs and when it comes to disasters, as long as it has no effect on me I just do not care. I rather spend my time, money and effort on something I can directly see around me like friends and family.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Snowbat on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:42 pm

Aye I'm conflicted about it.
A part of me finds it totally disgusting that the news makes a big fecking drama about Schumacher being in a coma because he skied outside the tracks, Paul Walker dying in a car crash while speeding, Justine Bieber sending pics of his genitals to Selena Gomez after a fight they had and Miley Cyrus' inability to keep her tongue in her mouth all this while people die every day in horrible conditions and thousands of people live in misery, war, famine and disease.

The other part of me can understand that people prefer to read the light-hearted bullshit they tell us about these decadent celebrities instead of hearing how many people died due to a monstrious Earthquake, simply because constant news about disasters make us more depressed.

This is where schadenfreude kicks in. Schadenfreude is human. As twisted as it may be, it's a human reaction and we will more likely feel schadenfreude towards celebrities throwing their lives down the toilet with drugs and excessive booze than with natural disasters hitting normal, hardworking people.

What do you think has the potential to bring a smile on my face? Seeing Justine Bieber engaging on a path of self-destruction with his macho-bullshit or seeing thousands of innocents die in an Earthquake? The latter makes me depressed, the former makes me laugh at how ridiculous Bieber is and actually makes me feel happy that I might not have all his dough and fame, at least I'm not some jagoff junkie in a downward spiral like he is.

I laugh at celebrities doing such decadent and stupid stuff. It makes me realize that being a celebrity must not be all glory and sunshine. There are only a few celebrities I actually admire because these people have remained relatively normal despite being so famous and rich and they did some genuinely good things (Tom Hanks, Leonardo Dicaprio, Johnny Depp,... just a few examples)

That being said, I'm not really proud of it. I realize terrible things happen in the world and deserve to be adressed much more than those idiots in Hollywood, but to be honest, sometimes hearing all this bad news all the time makes me unhappy I just prefer not to be continuously bombarded with it.
I know it's easy for me to say since I'm not living in some war-torn country, third-world country but I'm a mere human, what do you expect?
Snowbat
Home Member

Player: Snowbat
STEAM_0:1:1977404

Postby Wizav on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:39 am

Honestly if i could, i would just take them all out and give all of there resources to people that actually matter such as doctors and scientists. If the fans of celebrities complained i would take all of there shit as well. There would be a new game show on TV such as wack-a-belieber where fans of bieber pop out of holes in the ground and are hit with oars, winners of the show would get to punch bieber in the face.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby Shuriken on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:31 am

I'm hideously depressed most of the time because our species is going to become extinct simply because we can't share.

We've created an environment where it's easy to destroy ourselves and stick at it because it's easiest to be told what to do.

Stupid species is stupid.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Wizav on Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:07 am

Did you see the recent report released by Oxfam, it shows that the 81 richest people have the same wealth as 3.5 billion. You really have to sit and think about it to realise just how messed up that really is, 81 people have more money than the entire population of Europe , India , China and USA

Nobody needs that much money :ill:

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Shuriken on Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:25 am

And it's only increasing. Sadly the only thing that will change things ultimately for the better is either a highly improbable mass enlightenment or a practically inevitable huge scale war of some kind.

People say the world's gone mad, it's a self fulfilling prophecy if it carries on like this.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Wizav on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:30 am

I think it should just be made illegal for anyone to accumulate wealth after something like 10-20 million. All excess funds, profit and earnings that go over that limit should be placed into one big account that funds medical care , research and education for everyone on the planet, then space exploration and so on

At least when it comes to natural resources, i think its ridiculous that a single man , company or country can own an entire commodity like oil or gold just because they stumbled across it in there back yard or something. Nobody should have any claim what so ever on resources, it belongs to everyone born on this planet and should be shared equally.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Aceo on Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:27 pm

Wizav wrote:Did you see the recent report released by Oxfam, it shows that the 81 richest people have the same wealth as 3.5 billion. You really have to sit and think about it to realise just how messed up that really is, 81 people have more money than the entire population of Europe , India , China and USA

Nobody needs that much money :ill:

3.5 billion...? More than the population of countries? You do understand that that isn't all that much in terms of Countries. If there are a billion or so people in China, that means that you believe the amount all of them own is below £3.50...? Now for the US, they have a population of around 313.9million (google). So, around £10 each.

Last edited by Aceo on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Postby Shuriken on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:15 am

81 people have the same wealth as 3.5 billion people, figures weren't mentioned

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Aceo on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:20 am

Ah, I completely misinterpreted it as 81 people have 3.5billion pounds. I apologize. And then, that this is more money than any population mentioned.

I don't believe in limiting wealth in any way though to try to get back to a point that was made. It will just have people hiding even more income/wealth than they do now. Taxes could be increased on really high incomes but to take money away purely because people own a lot of things sounds counter-productive to me.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Postby Useless² on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:14 pm

To weigh in on the celebrity culture, we've done it as long as there have been people better than us, its not a new thing. The only thing thats changed is that we can follow our 'idols' almost anytime we want to, this is why it seems more common.

As for the news I think Skilgannon hit the nail on the head, who wants to sit down while having their tea (or whatever) and be shown bad things on the device of choice that we singularly cannot do anything about, so viewers decline the network/channel loses money and they try something different. Our 'idols' doing something wrong on the other hand get the views, it shows us that theyre human and more importantly it gives us the tut factor that we absolutely love, and also a feeling of superiority over someone we look upto.

Now for my 2 bits on the spread of wealth. Humans are too smart for our own good, not only do we invent mindblowingly complex things, we also invent ourselves into a corner. Prisoners of our own intelligence (intelligence is obviously not a bad thing) because we not only invent things to help ourselves we also invent things that punish/trap/kill ourselves, Im not talking about guns, bombs, etc. I mean the things we use to constrain ourselves, things that didnt really exist until we made it or brought it to attention, and it is these things that kill more people than anything else.

Time and Money.

We as a species feel the need to attach a value to things and we tend to do it in these nominations. Two things that we invented that people are petrified of running out of, and only one is really important. But still the wealth will go to the money hoarders and eventually come falling around our ears, and man will be ultimately killed or changed by their own creation.

Like the old cree indian prophecy “Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.”

I apologise if this sounds abit preachy or overly hippy-ish or uninformed, but I saw this thread afew days ago and Ive been thinking about it since then. Plus like most people I find it difficult to write down whats happening in my head :D
God gave me wind and waves...

...Everything else I can buy
Useless²
Home Member

Player: Useless²
STEAM_0:1:20542679

Postby Slavechild on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:12 pm

Personally I think some celebs should be burnt at the stake, for example all of the TOWIE cast etc. etc.

People need to look up to people like Brian Cox, Mr. Branson, Robert Downey Jr/Iron Man, Batman, Stephen Hawking etc. .... and not people like Johnny Essex.
Magical Facebook Fairy wrote:Image
Slavechild
Home Member

Player: Slavechild
STEAM_0:1:26412177

Postby re# Skilgannon on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:32 pm

bit harsh tbh and they wouldn't be celebs if people didn't watch!

As for Robert Downey jnr he was a RIGHT muppet when he was younger, I remember it well!

People do change :)

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Shuriken on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:38 pm

Some do, then there's Charlie Sheen lol

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby re# Skilgannon on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:46 pm

one thing that does "get my goat" about celebrity though is when a celeb, be it actor, singer etc dies from a drug overdose or drinks themselves to death its seen as a "tragedy" and their addiction is made out to be some terrible circumstance that they were a victim to

when normal "joe bloggs" is a heroin addict or alcoholic he is seen as a dirty tramp

why? Because someone knew the celebs names better than the man on the street? What truly makes one a "tragedy" and the other something to be looked down on

no one chooses to be an addict and being an ex MH Nurse who worked with substance dependent clients I can tell that there is NO difference, both are lives destroyed, both are people who for one reason or another became addicted to something horrific and both destroy the families around them

re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Slavechild on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:15 pm

Sorry that was a bit harsh looking back :?
Magical Facebook Fairy wrote:Image
Slavechild
Home Member

Player: Slavechild
STEAM_0:1:26412177

Postby re# Skilgannon on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:30 pm

there is an edit button ;)

re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Next

Return to Thinkers Topics