What are your views on the celebrity culture?

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Re: What are your views on the celebrity culture?

Postby Slavechild on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:51 pm

Well I don't take it back .. it's just a bit harsh. :p
Magical Facebook Fairy wrote:Image
Slavechild
Home Member

Player: Slavechild
STEAM_0:1:26412177

Postby MrsRapidByte on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:16 am

Personally love celeb gossip after reading the news - it reminds me that even though they may appear to have everything they still mess up and have issues :D It cheers me up and fills in death time on CS:S (which is sadly more than it should be :().

Could do without some "celebs" but same can be said for regular folk, but we are still stuck with them :roll:

MrsRapidByte
Home Member

Player: Lady Luck
STEAM_0:0:5400643

Postby BelovedKiller on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:14 am

Its a necessity.. Humans always worship. First it was the gods, now it's fame (the observation and judgement of others), next it will be the self-aware systems we build to realize truly omnipresent observation and judgement.
BelovedKiller
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: 제트별 - 冻住,不许走!
STEAM_0:0:22867374

Postby Wizav on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:13 am

What pisses me off more than anything is that talentless nobodies are in the news almost everyday and other people that should be in the spotlight are just ignored and awareness about the great things they are doing along with it.

Take the thousands of people working with and helping poor communities, building charities and basically saving lives every day. The people working 18 hours shifts in labs trying to discover/create life changing medicines and therapies for people but have no funding or support.

I think a celebrity culture is good, we just have the wrong celebrities. So many people these days seem to be famous just because they are good looking or the child of a rich person and it's not deserving of fame and riches and just spawns a generation of kids that inspire to be on TOWIE and get plastic surgery at age 16.

People like Leonardo DaVinci were Famous in 1400's, Now people like Kim Kardashian are famous in 2014. Something has gone very wrong

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby Snowbat on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:01 am

Wizav wrote:What pisses me off more than anything is that talentless nobodies are in the news almost everyday and other people that should be in the spotlight are just ignored and awareness about the great things they are doing along with it.

Take the thousands of people working with and helping poor communities, building charities and basically saving lives every day. The people working 18 hours shifts in labs trying to discover/create life changing medicines and therapies for people but have no funding or support.

I think a celebrity culture is good, we just have the wrong celebrities. So many people these days seem to be famous just because they are good looking or the child of a rich person and it's not deserving of fame and riches and just spawns a generation of kids that inspire to be on TOWIE and get plastic surgery at age 16.

People like Leonardo DaVinci were Famous in 1400's, Now people like Kim Kardashian are famous in 2014. Something has gone very wrong

Very true. It's sad that people who truly deserve praise, like those examples you mentioned, are totally ignored. How for example something simple yet so heartwarming and actually constructive like this article was totally ignored. I read this thing on 9gag for f*s sake.
Yet the newspapers keep getting flooded with Justine Bieber's decadent lifestyle, Miley Cyrus being a whore and other celebrities I only know for all the stupid news we are bombarded with.

I can understand that people want to read this celebrity gossip as well. After all, it's just fun to read and as I said earlier, sometimes we just enjoy seeing these people throw their lives down the crapper, but really... worshipping them as gods and having their every move reported in the news... pfff.
We should take all these people's wealth, and use it to salvage what's left of this planet.
Snowbat
Home Member

Player: Snowbat
STEAM_0:1:1977404

Postby Little_Devil on Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:45 am

Many many comments on here I agree with, and so many others would apply.

Is this societies biggest problem ?, no just one of them. As a culture we are led by the nose, by a few people, and elevate others to the status of demi-gods, then sit back and wait for them to either dwindle into the past, or fall from grace at the behest of these very same people that elevated them in the first place.

The Romans did the same, its just that they put them into arenas, all still slaves, just the same as people are these days.

The best way to keep the masses in a state of confusion over the bigger picture, is to entertain them with trivia, and use their base instinct of the pack animal to keep them amused and oblivious to the real stuff in the world. Feed the populace with entertainment packages, that give them a semblance of freedom, and publish pure diatribe on the news, whilst downplaying real events, and keep peoples attentions focused on rubbish, dulls the mind and makes slaves of everyone.

Role on the global Currency and monopoly of the big companies, who control countries, even the UK, and keep those slaves happy with celebs and entertain the brutes/slaves.

A gilded cage is still a cage, and an Arena still has its lions, no matter what form it takes.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Previous

Return to Thinkers Topics