Obesitas

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Obesitas

Postby Snowbat on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:58 pm

I read an article recently that stated that the state wanted to put some policies into effect to reduce childhood obesitas.
Basically, they want to put taxes on junk food and prohibit some advertising for it.

My question is this: what the f... is wrong with society these days? Why can't parents simply be a good parent and tell their kids not to eat junk and find a good sport for them? Why are so many parents too damn lazy to actually be a parent and make sure their kids eat healthy and practice some sort of excercice?
Instead, they prefer to let the state do the work and then they scream bloody murder when they put taxes into effect.

It's like adults saying that "once you reach your thirties and forties, you'll get a fat gut so why bother". Could you believe this silly bullshit? You only gain a beer gut if you let yourself get one. Obviously, once you reach a certain age you can't get away with as much as when you're in your twenties (hell, I could shove down crap each day in my twenties and still be scrawny) but it just means you have to live a healthier lifestyle once you hit your thirties if you don't want to become too fat. I hate it when people use age for an excuse to become a lazy, junkfood-gobbling couch-potato.
Snowbat
Home Member

Player: Snowbat
STEAM_0:1:1977404

Re: Obesitas

Postby Shuriken on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:01 pm

It's cheaper to be fat and unhealthy. Both for you and the state.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Slavechild on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:22 pm

A little while back there was a 3 part documentary about the diet industry, for part of it they visited a city/town in the USA that wanted to put a tax on to high sugar drinks. Cola found out about the local law they were trying to put in place and spent hundreds of thousands on $ on advertising space in the city/town with adverts saying the new tax was a tax on the poor. The law didn't pass and Cola removed all the advertising. The same happened when one of the NYC mayors tried to stop fast food chains from selling super large drinks (you know the SUPER large one's) and they did the same there and the law didn't pass :(

If you compare what happened with the tobacco industry and what's happening with the food industry you'll find it's sorta heading the same way.
Magical Facebook Fairy wrote:Image
Slavechild
Home Member

Player: Slavechild
STEAM_0:1:26412177

Postby Seraphina on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:26 pm

I don't think it's a bad idea, put higher taxes on chocolate and chips and pizza and all that crap too (and yes I occasionally eat those as well).
As Shuri says, it IS cheaper to eat unhealthy so when you take that away, maybe it helps.
I know when I go shopping and there's a lot of fruit and veggies in my shopping cart I pay more than I do when I go for easy and fast foods.
It's not gonna be the solution for the issue but it would be a start, I guess.

Not gonna comment on the rest of your generalizations.
You've had your last regrets, reached your final depths, deepest pits.
Stepped aside for the world to pass you by, chose to leave the fear.
You are stuck in a world of deadlocks...
Seraphina
Home Member

Player: Seraphina
STEAM_0:1:8420977

Postby bobito on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Junk food isn't that much of a problem if people do regular sport activities(not a problem in reasonable amounts of course).People just aren't motivated to do sport by parents nor by what-so-ever.Advertising is filled with a wide variety of tobacco and junk food companies and sport is hardly mentioned.

bobito
UKCS Admin

Player: No Ultras No Party
STEAM_0:0:20863013

Postby Flare on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:18 pm

*sigh* At this rate we will soon be at the stage where we will be made to eat government sanction food supplements that are both healthy and tasteless, manufactured to deliver the exact nutrient requirements, the order for this given to the cheapest bid by some foreign company (probably Chinese).

Salt, sugars, smokes... what next red meat ? That's bad for you, eggs as well I hear...sometimes they are good for you though, scientist flip flop on this a lot.

I say educate rather than dictate, are we not human can we not think ?
I have a bit of a beer belly myself, but I am fully aware of why and don't complain, I drink too much beer and do not do any exercise beyond the manual work I do at work, packing food into boxes and boxes of said food onto pallets.
Why should I pay more for my junk food I occasionally indulge in for a treat, just because foolish people cannot comprehend the simple fact that eating only fatty junk food will make you... fat, and without exercise these lazy fools are both fat and lazy and thus a drain on the health services.

Reminds me of a story I read, about a fat girl who was suing MacDonalds as she didn't realise all those burgers would make her fat, stupid cow was eating them for breakfast, lunch and dinner and of course did no exercise activity... she was living on the stuff, not exercising and wonders why she got fat.
Her type should be forced onto a re-hab clinic and fed only vegetables while doing various exercise activities... instead of surgery.

Educate, not dictate.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Aceo on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:25 pm

Healthier food should in some way be made cheaper in my opinion. Not junk food more expensive. Not sure on how possible it would be...

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Postby Security on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:14 pm

Just increasing the tax won't do anything except give the government a bit more money to play around with (something they don't mind), they should educate and help people improve there lifestyles instead. Offer them cheap or even free health and diet advice, make sports more affordable to people with a low income, start regulating what actually is in the food and actively make sure companies follow those rules. There are so many ways the government could actively help people.

I really do not understand why these days higher taxes or (higher) fines are always seen as the go to solution as there simply short sighted and ineffective (but they do allow them to claim that they tried...).

Edit: :D

Last edited by Security on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Dauntless on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:31 pm

Aceo wrote:Healthier food should in some way be made cheaper in my opinion. Not junk food more expensive. Not sure on how possible it would be...

I agree. Although a lot of healthy food isn't healthy, just crap packaging by corporate bell ends. Maybe they need to put in a scale that is clearly labelled on all foods, the healthier it is the cheaper it is, like with the energy rating of a house or the hygiene ratings in restaurants etc. If its A rating its healthy and 50% cheaper than D rated version of the same food.

This is just another subject close to everything else that is wrong with this dump. Everything is taxed, everything is a tax on another tax. Nothing is tax free if you look close enough.
Just look at the NHS (before you say anything the NHS is one of them calling for a tax on junk food), I pay my NIS, and enough damn tax on ciggs which goes to the NHS, more tax than is actually spent on smokers by the NHS. I have never been ill but the thousands I have already paid into the NHS I damn well expect the care there for me when I need it. What I don't expect is everything else taxed to pay for it when everyone else walks into this midden [Midden - good word, look it up] and gets it all for nowt.

Its not nice and its not right but a lot of it comes down to parents who can't afford children but have them anyway because the state pays.
I have 2 kids, I get nothing extra from the state other than that which everyone gets. But I'll be damned if my children will eat shit and/or go cold. By the end of it I have no more money and maybe less than most people who can only afford to be lazy and junk feed their brats and I have significantly less money than those arseholes that pump kids out for cash, 11 kids = £60k of benefits a year. The Chinese system is pretty bad but the worse things get the more you think... maybe, just maybe...

Hmm I think I may need to rant... ok here goes.... kidding, I'll end up as some drivelling keyboard warrior. I have some strong views but these have all grown from past history just like a lot of us on here, we all have our crosses to bare.

Sorry if my comments have offended anyone, I have not intended to do so.
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Postby Silkie on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:57 pm

I wouldn't say healthy food is that expensive. Maybe it's my vegetarian diet but what I eat seems pretty cheap to me especially with offers like cartons of blueberries for 69 pence each. Really though unless you get people to make the change themselves I just don't see it working as even healthy school meals will only do so much good if the parents load their children up with junk food. I pass a school every day on the way to town and sadly you can already see which ones are going to have problems later in life and which ones will enjoy the benefits of a healthy life style. Mummy waddles out of the car and sure enough out of the back come fat and frankly not very happy looking children. Meanwhile Mrs. buns-o-steel has walked a mile plus to school with her daughter who runs effortlessly the length of the school entrance walkway to play with her friends laughing all the way. You just know both of them have had healthy breakfasts and are getting more out of life because they have made the smart choices.

I feel I ought to add that I've made a change last year myself and the odd thing I found was not only am I enjoying eating a lot more with greater variety but after the first few months I didn't even miss the junk food. It's almost like it has an addictive quality and once you wean yourself off it then the craving disappears for me. With the energy from good eating I no longer suffer from insomnia have rediscovered the joy of walking, hiking and weight training. Hell some days despite being 47 I feel like a teenager and not just the tall long legged vision of gorgeousness that merely made me walk into a lamp post last week. :wink:
"I prefer the company of animals more than the company of humans.
Certainly, a wild animal is cruel.
But to be merciless is the privilege of civilised humans."
Silkie
Experienced Member

Player: Silkie
STEAM_0:0:523712

Postby coldandtired on Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:42 pm

Snowbat wrote:Why can't parents simply be a good parent and tell their kids not to eat junk and find a good sport for them? Why are so many parents too damn lazy to actually be a parent and make sure their kids eat healthy and practice some sort of excercice?

Easier said than done, unfortunately.

My kids have never drunk cola or eaten at McDonald's, which is the easy part (while they are still dependent). However, the shops are full of products containing HFCS, artificial colourings/flavourings/preservatives, etc. which don't look as obviously unhealthy but are.

When my first son was on the way I learned to cook and have cooked almost every day since, but it takes far more time and money this way. I would say it's far better to spend the money teaching kids what a healthy, proper burger tastes like, and how to make one.

There were some great programs by Jamie Oliver and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall which explored this problem - people buying frozen ready-to-eat rubbish because they were afraid of trying to cook it themselves.
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Player: coldandtired
STEAM_0:0:27915503

Postby re# Skilgannon on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:03 pm

Flare wrote:
I say educate rather than dictate, are we not human can we not think ?

*snip*

Her type should be forced onto a re-hab clinic and fed only vegetables while doing various exercise activities... instead of surgery.

Educate, not dictate.

anyone else see the HUGE self contradiction here?

How is someone being FORCED into a re-had clinic education?
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby Binerexis on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:32 pm

The solution here is simple: Let people do what they want.

If they want to smoke, eat or drink themselves to death, fine. They put money into the healthcare system/pay their healthcare bills like everyone else and, even if they don't, everyone deserves a second chance. It should also be made easy for them to be that way; install smoking areas, let people drink alcohol and make not-so-brilliantly-healthy food available. No one is forced to oblige their obsession, of course. I'm not saying that people should be able to smoke absolutely everywhere or that businesses need to install wider doors for wider people but rather that everyone should mind their own business.

I'm a smoker, I drink alcohol (hell, I brew alcohol) and I'm not currently in the best shape. I'm an adult and I'm aware of the risks involved. If I smoke to excess, I will likely develop heart disease and cancer. If I drink alcohol in excess, my liver will almost certainly completely crap-out on me. If I eat crap in excess, I can cause a whole load of harm to myself ranging from diabetes to a stroke. The key word here is 'excess'. I don't see why everyone else has to be made to pay for someone else doing something in excess. How is it even remotely fair that I should pay more for a burger because someone else ate burgers all the time and gained weight or got ill?

If governments want to deter people from eating junk food by increasing taxes on it (how are they determining that, by the way? Calorie content? Fat content? Required number of chins to buy ten of them and not feel embarrassed?) then they should provide tax rebates on healthy foods. I still don't really agree with this idea but I prefer a method of encouraging people through their wallet to go for one thing over another rather than just a flat-out vice tax. Actually, speaking of a vice tax, I would gladly pay a small fee regularly to not be constantly winged at regarding what I do or do not put into my body.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Wizav on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 am

When i was little, kids ate junk food all the time but were either swimming, playing in the woods building bases and stuff or at the park playing footy. nowadays kids are glued to ipads , xbox , netflix , facebook etc so all the junk they eat stays put and i think technology is to blame more than stuff like mcdonalds.

The local greens and parks near my house used to be full of kids every day and jam packed on weekends, now they are just barren waste lands. I can't even remember the last time i saw a group of kids on roller blades, bmx's or skateboards.

Junk food was much easier to get when i was a kid too, used to get a free mcdonalds with every other packet of pogs or football stickers and you could get super size meals to boot. Shops used to have big racks of 1p sweets and 10p crisps, seriously who stopped shops selling chomps , space raiders , onions rings , cola bottles and those little round bubble gums. On a side note, everyone should petition to get the company who made potato puffs up and running again.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby Binerexis on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:59 am

I think it's less the fault of technology and more the fault of some parents who sit their kids down in front of a screen so they don't have to deal with them.

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Useless² on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:25 am

Yeah, parents should get their kids out more. My little brother and sister are quite good with junk food but their downfall is sweets, but they both get out there and do something and are normal size for their age,and they also spend time on their tablets when they get home. As has been said its all fine when it comes to moderation.
However dont judge people for keeping their kids in, with all the stuff you hear in the news of paedophiles and child abductions it seems safer to keep them in or go to a friends house so you know where they are.
God gave me wind and waves...

...Everything else I can buy
Useless²
Home Member

Player: Useless²
STEAM_0:1:20542679

Postby Binerexis on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:22 pm

The problem with being scared about paedophiles because you see it on the news is that the news sensationalises it to the point of absurdity, never sparing any time to show that it's not a rampant problem which is everywhere but rather isolated incidents but all of that is a rant for another time.

If parents are worried about letting their kids play outside due to a fear of abduction, they should supervise them whilst they play outside.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Wizav on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:26 pm

I think it's the kids decision to sit in front of the screens. If as a kid you had a choice between playing counter strike on a modern PC with a broadband connection or going to the park what would you have done more often than not.

and sometimes it's really just the only option. The Youth club/center in my town has been derelict for years now from lack of use, parks are usually filled with smoking/drinking teens all weekend and you get the odd junkies shooting up there at night so not rare to see baggies and dirty needles laying around, and then there's all the dog crap people don't clean up while walking there dogs.

The council just doesn't seem to care anymore due of the lack of use, I might just live in a random shit hole but it wasn't like this when i grew up and it wouldn't surprise me if it's standard in most cities and large towns nowadays. I can't imagine the parks and youth clubs in London boroughs being in tip top shape, likely even worse there.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby Binerexis on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:09 pm

I would say that it largely depends on the age of the child in terms of whether they choose to play outside or not. A toddler, for example, couldn't decide independently to go out and play in a park whilst also getting there by themselves. I still think that parental supervision and responsibility is a bigger and more important issue with this.

If, as a child, I was given a choice between Counter Strike and going to the park then I would likely choose neither. I didn't like FPS games as a kid and I always found parks to be quite lonely. If I was forced to choose between the two, I would have chosen the park. Of course, if I was then told that I couldn't go to the park because there'd be no supervision or there was no one to take me to the park, I'm not left with much of a choice.

Even as children get old enough to start making their own decisions, I still think that parents have a responsibility to supervise their kids and steer them in the right direction. I'm always perplexed, for example, when parents complain that their children spend too much time on the family computer and yet that don't implement parental control software to limit the amount of time they spend on it or even go down the old fashioned route of just taking away the computer if it's a problem.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Security on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:49 pm

When I was younger I simply got told to go play outside most of the time... As for computers / consoles I simply got a certain amount of time allowed on them a week and unless I went on the PC in the middle of the night my parents always knew when I was on there as they actually checked on what my brother and I were doing.

And if the neighborhood isn't safe to let your child play outside then maybe you shouldn't be living there with a child in the first place.
I lived in one of the most criminal neighborhoods (there have been shootings, murders, Molotov's through windows (this one was done by one of my old class mates btw.), theft, burglary, police chases and more on a semi-regular basis) of Tilburg between the age of 10 and 18 and even there it never was unsafe to play outside.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Next

Return to Thinkers Topics