Need volunteers (MA dissertation, video games and education)

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Need volunteers (MA dissertation, video games and education)

Postby Neck on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:00 pm

Hey everyone.

Been a long time since I posted here. I took an extended break from TF2 but recently felt like playing some again, and UKCS server still are some of the best out there. So I am back.

To the point of this thread: as part of my master I need to write way too many words about education and new technologies. I decided to look at serious games (games used primarily for educational purposes) and for this I need some male gamer volunteers. What I ask is to play through the game COLOBOT as long as you want, then submit your saved game and answer about 5 questions.

You can find all the details, download link and such on my website: http://sylvain.didelot.ch/colobot/ .

Thanks in advance to anyone who decide to give me some time even if it's only read to this point! Don't hesitate to reply to this thread if you have any question.

Neck

Player: Иeck
STEAM_0:1:21607559

Re: Need volunteers (MA dissertation, video games and educat

Postby JayyJayy on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:51 pm

This seems like a cool idea and i'm game i suppose but out of curiosity why male gamers age 16 and above? Is it because you have already found enough female gamers for your testing or for other reasons?
|And on that day the dead shall rise|

JayyJayy
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: JayyJayy
STEAM_0:1:27264480

Postby Neck on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:12 pm

:cheers: thanks in advance.

I'm trying to find out whether age plays a role in engagement with serious games. For that purpose I need to remove other factors as much as possible. That's the reason I excluded non-gamers: the lack of experience with computers and games would skew the results (many studies show role of past experience). I also excluded female gamers because gender might have an effect (studies on that topic are lacking and show conflicting results).

As for age 16 and above, that's for ethic and other boring legal stuff. Under 16s are considered "vulnerable" and therefore including them in a research project is much more complicated. I'd love to include children but I can't.

Neck

Player: Иeck
STEAM_0:1:21607559

Postby JayyJayy on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:51 pm

I see well so far i seem to be having a good time with it just recently found out where to code the robots and found myself getting the titanium ore using a small coded program and bringing it back to the spaceship with another. Coming from a coding background i find it a bit more easier to get into the mechanic of making the bots do things for me using code rather then doing it myself its half laziness half why should i that's what code is for.

The most bit of this im finding difficult is not knowing the variables the syntax's are all explained to you but default variables are all a guessing game. For example flying through the targets on one of the missions i can not find the right variable to use for the radar instead i will have to just calculate height and distance and write the program to just move the bot the desired way.

Maybe im just missing something and i will look more into it before i do it manually or something

JayyJayy
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby JayyJayy on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:33 pm

Done the questionare hit me up by email or by steam if you want to chat about it :)

JayyJayy
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Return to Thinkers Topics