I placed a complaint against charities adverts in ASA UK, am

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

I placed a complaint against charities adverts in ASA UK, am

Postby Flare on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:54 am

I placed complaint to the UK advertising standards agency (ASA) regarding a lot of the charities advertising for funding to help a stricken area or another, typically starving African children and war refugees.
I for one am sick and tired of being constantly bombarded with images of starving African kids and refugees whilst trying to eat my dinner and catch up on news, its not informing me of anything its emotional baggage trying to guilt trip me into forking over cash and I am sick of it.
Why is it accepted ? Just because the cause is 'just' ? Bullshit I pay up and I will still be bombarded , and even if they get the cash the kids of today will screw and fuck and make more kids they can not afford to bring up and just aggravate the situation.

I am not without feeling , otherwise I wouldnt complain , but ffs can I not eat my dinner and watch the news without he grub being seasoned with guilt that I can eat and they cannot ?

I complained , am I the devil ?
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Re: I placed a complaint against charities adverts in ASA UK

Postby Shuriken on Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:54 am

Guilt is foreign to me, I find stories like this fascinating lol.

I don't watch TV so I've not seen the adverts but vaguely remember their ilk from when I was smaller. Maybe I'm heartless but I think that if they're being filmed there are people already so aware of their situation that they are with them. Yet instead of helping them they're filming them starving and asking you to help them. If you can afford television advertising and you spend it on television advertising when there are people, who's existence you have at least acknowledged, that could use that money to not starve then you are already failing. I do get that this was the most popular medium of advertisement for a while but now it's an enormous waste of money. I respect charities that get off their arses and do the work they preach about, incidentally you hear about them because they're doing good things, funny how that works.

Personally I don't think you're the devil but I'm far from the best person to attempt to assess guilt lol
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Security on Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:22 am

Begging for money for the less fortunate is an industry that makes billions just like the ad for deodorant it is shown on TV for that purpose. I have taken the general stance that every charity is a waste of money, not because I am not willing to help people but because you rarely if at all can see if your money makes a difference and many use it to clear there conscious. So instead I just try to make the people around me happy and invest my money into that as I actually care for those people and can directly not just see but decide where the money goes.

After saying all of that I can still say I have donated a considerable amount of money to charity over the years but it was not because of the charities themselves, it always was for a person close to me that found it very important and did something in exchange (climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro being the most extreme one) for it all.

As for your complaint itself I doubt it will do anything.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Enigma on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:00 am

I don't care about starving Africans either and I don't see a reason why anyone should.
Africans can blame themselves for the shit situation they're in right now. There was no famine during the evil white man rule, as a matter of fact some countries had higher GDP than some Communist countries during late 70s and early 80s. Once they got rid of the evil white oppressors their whole continent went to hell.
Enigma
UKCS Sponsor

Player: nice dead server lmao
STEAM_0:1:29505170

Postby Binerexis on Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:22 pm

Was anything preventing you from changing the channel?
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby sweetamber92 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:28 pm

i hate how they always put them on at teatime.. so your sat there enjoying yr noms.. suddenly starving children..
sweetamber92
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sweetamber92
STEAM_0:0:27295044

Postby re# Skilgannon on Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:30 pm

Enigma wrote:I don't care about starving Africans either and I don't see a reason why anyone should.
Africans can blame themselves for the shit situation they're in right now. There was no famine during the evil white man rule, as a matter of fact some countries had higher GDP than some Communist countries during late 70s and early 80s. Once they got rid of the evil white oppressors their whole continent went to hell.

yes because being a glorified slave of an occupying population is SO much better isnt it

btw how did your deportation hearing go?
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby Enigma on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Please don't start with the slavery debate. You get slavery even in today's Britain.

Not brilliant, but what to expect from a female judge who has a reputation for refusing 98% bail applications and 99% appeals. I don't care much about myself to be honest. I'm more worried about others who have families in the UK. She refused their appeals as well. And some of those people have been living here for over 10 years so they shouldn't even be liable for deportation.
Enigma
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Silkie on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:21 pm

Mute button. I give to charities and am usually good for money in a tin being rattled at me but high pressure stuff gets you nothing with me. It's not that I don't care as I've given to various charitable organisations since I had my own money to give but I don't like it being sold the way it is now.

Heavens Enigma not caring about someone else and their problems is that a first?
"I prefer the company of animals more than the company of humans.
Certainly, a wild animal is cruel.
But to be merciless is the privilege of civilised humans."
Silkie
Experienced Member

Player: Silkie
STEAM_0:0:523712

Postby Slavechild on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:36 pm

I use to donate to the RSPB (lost a bet with a good looking RSPB girl at her stand) but they kept bombarding me with calls asking me to donate more and a free magazine which was just a catalogue of expensive bird things you can buy from them of causes you can donate more to.

I cancelled the direct debit and when they called next I gave them an ear full. Can't say i've heard from them since.

There is a handful of charities that I would actively donate to if I had the surplus money and I would only donate if I could see the money being put to good use and not to pay some call center to bother me every month.
Magical Facebook Fairy wrote:Image
Slavechild
Home Member

Player: Slavechild
STEAM_0:1:26412177

Postby Unspecified on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:42 pm

I don't like the adverts, but then i don't like the suffering that's going on in the world either. If it gets a few people to help save some lives then i can certainly live with it. I donate to charity already but i cant say I've ever decided to donate to a particular charity because they put an advert on tv...

Yes adverts and callers etc can be seen as a waste of money, but they way they look at is is "if we spend £100k on a campaign and get £300k back from it then its paid for itself and made us an extra £200k to spend on helping people - more than what we would have had if we didn't do it - so its worth doing". I guess not every charity gets the maths right, but if it didn't work alot of the time they would soon stop doing it...
ImageUKCS Head Moderator. Retired Senior TF2 Admin.
Feel free to send me a Image or message me through Image with any questions or problems.
Don't forget that UKCS has an image uploader that's fast and free for all members!

17:43 - Salva: i did find out im not pregnant

One of the UKCS iSeries Clanbox Co-Organisers:
Unspecified
Executive Admin
Head Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: unspecified
STEAM_0:0:2326270

Postby Bobbobthebob on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:50 pm

Unspecified wrote:I don't like the adverts, but then i don't like the suffering that's going on in the world either. If it gets a few people to help save some lives then i can certainly live with it. I donate to charity already and i cant say I've ever decided to donate to a particular charity because they put an advert on tv...

Yes adverts and callers etc can be seen as a waste of money, but they way they look at is is "if we spend £100k on a campaign and get £300k back from it then its paid for itself and made us an extra £200k to spend on helping people - more than what we would have had if we didn't do it - so its worth doing". I guess not every charity gets the maths right, but if it didn't work alot of the time they would soon stop doing it...

^^Pretty much this.

Those of you concerned about the efficiency of donations should check out charitynavigator.org (American site but good on the international charities) and GivingWhatWeCan and The Life You Can Save.

If you're really concerned about family planning and population level issues (rather than wanting to make throw-away racist comments and blame the victims for their predicament) then perhaps Population Services International is what you should consider donating to.
Bobbobthebob aka His Royal Bobness and Grand High Bob of Bobland
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Player: Bobbobthebob
STEAM_0:0:10020489

Postby Enigma on Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:23 am

Silkie wrote:Heavens Enigma not caring about someone else and their problems is that a first?
I used to care about others and their problems, that's how I actually got into a prison.
Enigma
UKCS Sponsor

Postby re# Skilgannon on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:46 am

wow, didn't realise we lived in a dictatorship state where those who fight oppression and stand up to a fascist regime went to prison, I thought in this country only people who broke the rather liberal laws in a rather serious manner were incarcerated.

Why don't you tell us what injustice was served against you so we can maybe use our collective might to help your fight for the worthy and just

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Binerexis on Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:46 am

Maybe we could create a charity and get TV advertising space.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby re# Skilgannon on Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:09 am

or an ice bucket challenge?

we could call it the "douche Bucket Challenge" :D

re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Enigma on Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:25 pm

re# Skilgannon wrote:wow, didn't realise we lived in a dictatorship state where those who fight oppression and stand up to a fascist regime went to prison, I thought in this country only people who broke the rather liberal laws in a rather serious manner were incarcerated.
Yes, your laws are so liberal that you have 2nd highest overall crime rate in the EU. It's probably because you can end up on remand for throwing an apple, which is a truly appalling crime.
Enigma
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Templar+ on Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:38 pm

re# Skilgannon wrote:wow, didn't realise we lived in a dictatorship state where those who fight oppression and stand up to a fascist regime went to prison, I thought in this country only people who broke the rather liberal laws in a rather serious manner were incarcerated.

Why don't you tell us what injustice was served against you so we can maybe use our collective might to help your fight for the worthy and just

Enigma shop lifted so is getting sent home lol.
Templar+
Old Timer

Player: Templar+
STEAM_0:0:10400303

Postby re# Skilgannon on Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:02 pm

break the laws of a country you are a guest of and yes, you should be sent home!

re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Templar+ on Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:19 pm

re# Skilgannon wrote:break the laws of a country you are a guest of and yes, you should be sent home!

Actually he isn't even a guest he's here illegally.
Templar+
Old Timer

Player: Templar+
STEAM_0:0:10400303

Next

Return to Thinkers Topics