I placed a complaint against charities adverts in ASA UK, am

This forum is for posting meaningful and serious ideas and questions. Can be about interests, observations or serious matters of the world. If it doesn't fit that category, don't post here! Serious posts only.

Re: I placed a complaint against charities adverts in ASA UK

Postby re# Skilgannon on Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:30 pm

think before he committed whatever crime it was the ended up with him being sent to prison he was a legitimate guest?

I guess only Enigma can answer that for sure but am going to be charitable (groan pun) and assume he was until that point
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby Unspecified on Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Now now, lets vaguely attempt to stay on OP's topic :)
ImageUKCS Head Moderator. Retired Senior TF2 Admin.
Feel free to send me a Image or message me through Image with any questions or problems.
Don't forget that UKCS has an image uploader that's fast and free for all members!

17:43 - Salva: i did find out im not pregnant

One of the UKCS iSeries Clanbox Co-Organisers:
Unspecified
Executive Admin
Head Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: unspecified
STEAM_0:0:2326270

Postby re# Skilgannon on Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:43 pm

hey I referenced charity! :P
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby ApacheFlame on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:31 pm

I give what I can, when I can. My other half does the same. We both avoid mainstream charities (usually the ones that can afford to advertise on TV).

I know there are atrocities in the world, but I choose to support charities close to my heart rather than those I am guilt tripped about.

Yes, the presence of guilt would suggest that they mean something to me, but hey, limited funds and I choose to give them to other organisations.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby Flare on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:11 pm

Well I did receive a reply regarding my complaint, and ASA wont be doing anything but they did explain the complaint was to general (need to name a specific advert) and frequency of adverts are up to the broadcaster, BUT they also did mention they are keeping an eye on these types of adverts specifically in the view that children can be exposed and upset by these emotionally charged charity adverts.

I get annoyed because the viewer is bombarded with these types, always showing deplorable conditions and always with a narrator using a pleading mournful tone. The occasional advert wasnt too bad but its getting to a point that there is nearly 1 in every break on the Sky News channel, and theres a lot on channel 5 (family members watch Neighbours while eating dinner).

Its not I dont feel for the individuals, the kids, the refugees etc etc but the community and situation that causes those circumstances dont change, they simply continue the cycle. I lived in South Africa during the 'apartheid', and heard first hand why family planning doesnt work... they simply dont believe in it, traditions dictate more children means more of a man and any attempt to prevent pregnancy is a 'white mans lie', contraception is considered a attempt by old whitey to trick the black people into not having children.
Hell even AIDS is considered a white mans invention to prevent them from being a man, and the women that attend family planning clinics have to sneak there and are beaten by the men if found out.
The traditional social system there is to have as many kids as possible so those kids will look after you, the girls will catch a wealthy / influential husband and the boys will look after the parents in their old age... the idea of contraception is alien and offensive.
Of course overpopulation leads to limited resources and the struggle for those resources which leads to warlords and constant battles, tack in a traditional tribal system where the top dogs are expected to get everything and you have a mechanism for starving kids and refugees... the problem is the old ways was balanced by the cold fact that death was far more frequent and medical care was a lot less effective, the people literally culled themselves to numbers that was sustainable.

I dont think the charities can break the cycle , merely perpetuate it (and possibly strengthen it).
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Binerexis on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:57 pm

Flare wrote:I get annoyed because the viewer is bombarded with these types, always showing deplorable conditions and always with a narrator using a pleading mournful tone. The occasional advert wasnt too bad but its getting to a point that there is nearly 1 in every break on the Sky News channel, and theres a lot on channel 5 (family members watch Neighbours while eating dinner).

And what's stopping you from changing the channel?
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Ger-h on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:18 pm

Bin bot spammer 2014...

I don't like being guilt tripped into donating money. Usually switching the channel to bcc usually helps until that program comes back on.
Ger-h
Executive Admin
Maptesting Head
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Official Executive Teaboy™

Player: Ger
STEAM_0:1:35307921

Postby ApacheFlame on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:23 pm

Advert lengths are variable, if you don't want to miss your program,it's probably best to not change the channel.

There is obviously recognition that charity techniques designed to guilting you into donating are not fair (for instance, collectors on the street are not meant to shake their containers at you). Surely this is just the visual equivalent?

Yes, the charities need the money, but I don't like the fact they can afford to put on these campaigns in the first place. There are so many other deserving charities that get very little exposure because the risk/lack of cash in the first place precludes them from bigger advertising campaigns.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby Flare on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:54 pm

Binerexis wrote:
Flare wrote:I get annoyed because the viewer is bombarded with these types, always showing deplorable conditions and always with a narrator using a pleading mournful tone. The occasional advert wasnt too bad but its getting to a point that there is nearly 1 in every break on the Sky News channel, and theres a lot on channel 5 (family members watch Neighbours while eating dinner).

And what's stopping you from changing the channel?

family members watch Neighbours while eating dinner

I put on Sky News because I want to catch up on the news but it does have a lot of breaks, and the adverts are on virtually all ad supported channels, am I to run away from the adverts by not watching the channel each time it pops up... as in oops no more news, or no more channel zzz because of this ?

Hypothetically if the Vegans put up adverts informing us of the meat trade and how that piece of bacon or steak got onto your plate, graphically, it would be very quickly removed because the material would be uncomfortable to watch, and I would say its about the same... one is atrocities against humans and one is ..well slaughtering animals.
Now I aint a Vegan and do enjoy me some meat but am not under any confusion of where and how that meat is obtained... some think its bought in a shop :wink:
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Binerexis on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:33 pm

There's nothing stopping you switching back when the advert is over :P

Just switch over to BBC 2 for some light quiz action for a minute or two and come back. If the ad is still on, switch again and be bombarded with perfume or 'yoghurt' adverts.

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby lambnut on Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:51 pm

Donate your money here instead, reason your using this :)
lambnut
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Lanson
STEAM_0:1:7733934

Postby Little_Devil on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:40 pm

I think people miss the point entirely. I don't like the adverts either, not just because it is not needed, it is because it is yet another money making scam.

Years ago these charities asked for old clothing, now however they reject old clothing and throw it into the bin because people in the west provide decent clothing that is hardly worn. This is of course a cash cow generating money for these charities.

Lets look at where all this money goes to.

http://www.lovemoney.com/news/10302/5-t ... r-money-on

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... ities.html

http://www.smallcharitydirectory.co.uk/ ... to-charity

Now this is just the tip of the iceberg and is just the charities, Governments and the World Bank are also involved in this, together with the Media in general. Governments and the world Bank loan countries money, ostensibly to alleviate the suffering of the people of the country by creating work in a country so that it can become self sufficient, and of course pay this money back in kind to those lenders, little, if any of it, going to the populace.

Pictures sell papers, and how many photographers selling pictures to western newspapers are actually from that country. Suffering sells big time, with a lot of money paid to foreign photographers, the newspapers are of course all in the west and has people paying money to view images of the suffering people in the country, dig deep people there are a lot of mouths to feed and none of them are in the country you give aid to help.

Just covered here :

Advertising pays big bucks, so advertise your charity or funding body. Print your name onto plastic sheeting to make crappy shelters/tents that blow away in the wind, its all good advertising revenue.
Where is the printing done ?
Pictures sell papers,
Where are the photographers from ?
Newspapers generate money for media companies.
Who owns those companies ?

A lot more can be said, you buy goods from these countries, where the labour is paid for with the bones of the children. 0 hours contracts in this country is something that was dreamt up over there, with the exception that workers have to work a year before they can get a contract, and the employers tear up those contracts at a whim of the slightest infraction, not that they are worth anything, as the workers would probably love to be paid peanuts rather than having to work areas by hand, and are told they are paid by the size of the area cleared for plantations. The ground hard as rock, the vegetation so dense that even if they had a good scythe would take a week to clear an area that they get a days wages for. Not that the days wages are anything even remotely in anyone's imagination anywhere near decent.
The world banks and Governments of course are donating to this type of economy with tax payers money and patting each other on the back, not for the good they are doing, but for how they are conning their own populace. Look what good your taxes are doing. Yes lining your pockets you .........

dig deep people there are a lot of mouths to feed and none of them are in the country you give aid to help.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Binerexis on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:36 am

Because it's perfectly reasonable to expect people to spend time working for a charity which ultimately operates at a loss thereby helping fewer people. :roll:

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Little_Devil on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:46 am

Its not the general people that are milking this for all they are worth. There are many people with good hearts do charity work, all for the right reasons.

Watch this film if you can find it on the net "enjoy poverty" - episode III, by renzo martens

Episode III, also known as 'Enjoy Poverty', is the 90 minute film registration of Renzo Martens' activities in the Congo. In an epic journey, the film establishes that images of poverty are the Congo’s most lucrative export, generating more revenue than traditional exports like gold, diamonds, or cocoa. However, just as with these traditional exports, those that provide the raw material: the poor being filmed, hardly benefit from it at all.

http://www.enjoypoverty.com/

A quick Google Search will supply info, but try to find the film and watch it.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Previous

Return to Thinkers Topics