Firewalls

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Firewalls

Postby Dysfuncti1 on Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:09 pm

For those of you that don't (you really should) have a firewall, I like the Sygate Personal Firewall, but you'll also hear Kerio (version 2, not the recent one) mentioned a lot, as well as Outpost.

You'll also hear "Personal firewalls suck dick" and "you should set up a linux/bsd box that protects your network".

So, uh, go with either of these. Sygate's free for personal use. Kerio's discontinued (the old version, anyway) so it's free too. And Outpost -- I really don't know. Guess it's free too.

The reason most people recommend an external firewall is because a software firewall is nearly always useless if your system is already compromized. With an external firewall, you can prevent against that, and there's nothing that the virus/malware/spyware can do about that.

Still I recomend Kerio or Sygate, Windows default one is pretty good too.

Dysfuncti1
UKCS Sponsor

Player: dysfuncti_1
STEAM_0:0:4890053

Postby ChowRiit on Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:29 pm

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/c ... wnload.jsp

Zonealarm. Free and good, I hear this one recommended most often. It even offers to scan your pc for viruses etc before you install, to remove anything that's previously compromised your PC... :)
Visit my Computer Security or Webcomics threads! :)
ChowRiit
UKCS Sponsor

STEAM_0:0:4566834

Postby I Got Germs on Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:34 pm

I recently switched from Zone Alarm to Sygate Personal Firewall, both are good but Zone Alarm has real problems with manual exceptions of certain ports (unless that's been fixed with a recent update), With Sygate it's a doddle and works a treat.

:D
I Got Germs
UKCS Sponsor

Player: I Got Germs
STEAM_0:0:334655

Postby Coop on Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:43 pm

I have Zonealarm pro and found that the recent update actually caused me more problems so i reinstalled. im happy with it at the mo
element | Az #e.gaming
Coop
Experienced Member

Player: coop
STEAM_0:0:5022089

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets