Best Keyboard, Mouse and Headset

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Best Keyboard, Mouse and Headset

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:01 pm

There are so many times that different people have asked for either a Keyboard or Mouse on the forums, I would like to create a sticky so that people can see what recommendations there are.

So saying any vote for a particular mouse or keyboard type, must be accompanied with a short review, ie Pro' and Con's.
e.g
Mouse: xxxx
Pro: mouse has good dpi and is light in weight and once it is set up, is quite good.
Con: a small mouse only suited to someone with small hands and has hard to set up control software.

Keyboard: xxxx
Pro: A great gaming keyboard
Con: Rubbish for typing

A picture of the particular mouse or keyboard in question would be good so that people can see what they want too.

Added headsets too, please follow the same format.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Re: Best Keyboard and Mouse

Postby Nelsaidi on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:22 pm

Mouse
Razer Diamond Back 3G - Gaming Mouse
-----------------

Price : ~£30
Manufacturer : Razer
-----------------
DPI : 1800
Colors : Green/Blue/(Red i think)
Buttons : 7 (2 on left side, 2 on right side, scroll + right/left)
Hand : Both (Right and Left)
-----------------

Pros:

Macro assigned to either (or all) of the 7 buttons
On the fly Sensitivity (change sensitivity without going into options - relies on driver)
Lasts more than a year
pretty light weight

Cons:
- Buttons on side may be hard to use (especially on right side if right handed)
- Issue with driver not loading after hibernation (For me - on XP)
- Lack of options to assign mousebuttons to (ie no switch window, zoom, or whatever fancy crap you may want to assign them to, i dont use it, but was disappointed to discover none of that)

Rating
Comfort : 6/10 (Feels weird at first, you get used to it, but can fit alot better)
Features : 7/10 (Many mouse buttons, Not enough 'binds')
Value : 8/10 (Pretty cheap, lasts long)
Functionality : 8/10 (Can be used for all purposes, onthe fly sensitivity is awesome, easy to move arround)
Overall : 7/10

Other Comments
A fancy mouse wont neceasrily improve your skill, and if you are going to buy a 'high end gaming mouse', then you'll need a nice surface to go with it and make the most of it. Unless your a pro gamer, a cheaper mouse will be almost just as good imo.
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: batman
STEAM_0:1:11977681

Postby nevvy on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:48 pm

Keyboard:

Random cheap £5 jobbie, preferably logitech imo. does the job perfectly well, leaves £40 to spend on beer. It means its more economical to throw it away and get another than clean it, although i have had this one for over 4 years.... keyboards are disgusting.

Mouse:

A lot more important than the keyboard as far as gaming is concerned. i purchased a logitech MX510 about 5 years ago and its still going strong. It was pretty expensive at the time and it took me a long time to get used to it. I had a little belkin laptop travel mouse before that (dont laugh) and i was a finger-mouse person. The MX510 is quite a big mouse and it would suit a hand-mouse person (someone who holds the mouse in the palm, rather than the fingers).

generally speaking, if you like a small mouse then go for a razer, if you want a larger mouse go for a logitech. I'd say the exact amount to spend depends on how serious you are and you're budget. You'd be amazed how much smoother a gaming mouse is over a normal one. The best thing about my mouse is the forward and back buttons, it makes browsing so much smoother. The size also makes it super comfy for extended use (came in handy when i was at uni doing an entire piece of CAD coursework in one evening). I'm sure the newer mice have a lot more features than mine but i dont think i'll ever want to change. its like an old pair of shoes!

These might not be the comments people were expecting but i do not believe that a £45 keyboard will turn you into luckyNV. it'll look pretty and women will ask why your keyboard has extra buttons on it.

EDIT: i forgot to add the logitech mice are generally right handed. sorry lefties!

Standing on the point since beta Retired pointstander
nevvy
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Nevvy
STEAM_0:0:5372127

Postby Azzy on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:36 pm

Mouse: Razer Lachesis
Pro: Comfy. Has a blue pulsing light. Up to 4k dpi. Once configured is awesome (not difficult to use), really responsive and glides well.
Con: When bought pre-January the mouse comes with faulty firmware, jumping and random mouse movements. There is active firmware from the razer website that corrects this issue.

Keyboard: Razer Tarantula
Pro: Really comfy to type with. Has blue lights on it. A litte rest to sit your wrist on when typing. Audio controls. A number of keys that can be assigned macros. It also comes with spare buttons, for those "hardcore gamers" who cant remember which button is macroed to what buy options, there are buttons with a nade, guns, knife etc on them to replace the standard buttons.
Con: Its in an American layout and takes a while to get used too as even in english format in the settings, there are buttons missing.

PC161's (sennheiser)
Really love these.
Pros
Really good sound quality.
Crisp clear
Comfortable
Durable
Volume control on the cable to headset

Cons
I don't have space to keep them so drop them alot when there sat on handle of my wardrobe.

Last edited by Azzy on Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forum Moderator
CSS Admin
Use the UKCS Uploader to upload images/files.
Azzy
UKCS Admin

Player: Azzy
STEAM_0:1:7114108

Postby N1ck on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:39 am

Mouse: Logitech G5

Pros:
- Change the DPI settings with the mouse (change values in logitech software)
- Adjustable weight cartridge

Cons:
- None

Keyboard: Cherry EVolution Stream

Pros:
- Thin buttons (like on a laptop)
- Light weighted

Cons:
- Gets dusty

N1ck
UKCS Sponsor

Player: n1ck
STEAM_0:0:9006642

Postby Master Yoda on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:53 pm

Maybe this should be for headsets aswell? That's a common question.
shotz: i rish u cant
Well spoken shotz, very well spoken.
Master Yoda
Old Timer

Player: yoda.ftw|
STEAM_0:0:18859626

Postby Little_Devil on Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:14 pm

Good idea, headsets added.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Re: Best Keyboard, Mouse and Headset

Postby gandy on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:08 pm

Headset - Sennheiser PC350.

Pro's

Good for Music, Movies and games. Ear cup speakers which block out alot of noise from other sources.. eg TV, street traffic noise and washing machine. Very comfy when being used for hours on end. Top quality Mic. Its not a usb headset. Solid design.

Cons.

It blocks out so much noise you can hardly hear yourself speaking on the mic ( not really a bad thing )
Some might say the price but you can now buy them for less than £90 and for an entry level studio quality headset some might say its a bargain.

Gandy's vote is 10 out of 10, miles better than the 160's etc..
gandy
VP (Retired)

Player: gandy
STEAM_0:1:5083494

Postby Nelsaidi on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:49 pm

Question, how much sound is let out of them, i mean, if your a few meters away, can you hear them?

Ill leave this space for a small review on the HD515 (great for gaming, but no microphone, so, still fits in :D) which ill write later today.

Anyone got a Lycosa? can you write a review :D?
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby weedyphil on Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:14 pm

nelsaidi2 wrote:Question, how much sound is let out of them, i mean, if your a few meters away, can you hear them?

Ill leave this space for a small review on the HD515 (great for gaming, but no microphone, so, still fits in :D) which ill write later today.

Anyone got a Lycosa? can you write a review :D?

I have just got a razer lycosa mirror, Its preey nice for typing, although the enter button is in a different position slightly than my old keyboard but gettin use to that now, for gaming i mean i cannot really notice any difference between one keyboard and the next, i mean the backlit keys are nice, but they could have been a bit brighter. There are no extra macro keys, but i like that as it makes it a compact keyboard, and ANY key on it can be macro'd and you can set it to switch macro profiles automtically on program startup. If i think of anything else ill post, ill go see if i have a picture now :P

Pros

Good looking, shiny
nice fell and good to use
macro any key
small compact size
nice shiny keys (mirror version only)

cons
lighting could be brighter
touch sensetive buttons for media control can be a pain at times
shows up dust very easily, so looks messy unless you clean it all the time
When you can't stand the heat, you know you aint 1337 - weedyphil
weedyphil
UKCS Sponsor

Player: ohhbass @Dirt Inc on ios+Androi
STEAM_0:1:11154325

Postby Fartypants ? on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:43 pm

Manufacturer : Roccat
Mouse : Roccat Kone
------------------------------
3200DPI PRO-AIM GAMING SENSOR
The precise Pro-Aim Gaming Sensor effectively reduces Pick-Up-Flight. It is accompanied by a high-end 6.4 megapixel sensor measuring with 7080 frames per second, loss-free up to a velocity of 20G. 1ms response time, 1000Hz polling rate and the adjustable resolution up to real 3200dpi give you the competitive edge to improve your aiming skills.
TCU - TRACKING CONTROL UNIT
Every mouse pad is different. There is an awful lot of mouse pads out there for sale. But this variety also has its disadvantages. The laser of standard gaming mice is calibrated to an average for satisfactory results on most mousepads. That’s why the Kone is provided with the Tracking Control Unit. It is the first and only mouse which analyses the mouse pad and calibrates the laser power exactly to the surface. Learn more about the TCU under the point "TCU-Info".

INTEGRATED TURBOCORE (72MHZ)
The internal TurboCore Unit is the power­­ful heart of this tool. All mouse calculations are being processed in­ter­nally, enabling you to add timing in­for­­mation on macros and saving vital CPU power for game processing tasks and giving this mouse up to twice the processing power compared to other high class gaming mice.

ONBOARD MEMORY (128KB)
128kB of Internal Memory allow you to save up to five Game Profiles containing macros for your game characters and individual settings directly on the mouse. You can use any of these profiles without driver. Create unlimited profiles with ultra-long macro sequences and parallel key commands for each mouse button using the Macro Manager and save them on your HDD.

ERGONOMIC HYBRID SHAPE
Maximum grip in the heat of the game: The special right handed hybrid shape, equally suitable for claw or palm grip, revolutionizes the definition of gaming comfort. The shortened left mouse button and the precisely calculated downward slope towards the right mouse button are the inevitable results of long term research and ergonomics studies. The rubberized top and side surfaces provide maximum grip even in the heat of the final game.

CUSTOMIZABLE LIGHT SYSTEM
Color up your mouse: Fully customize the look of the Kone the way you want. The Light System comprises 5 LEDs which are capable of displaying the full spectrum of colors. You can independently change the color of any LED and activate special light effects – or simply turn off the lights.

CUSTOMIZE THE WEIGHT
Only 118g (133g with cable) make this mouse an ultra light weight pre­ci­sion instrument. If you prefer a heavier mouse, choose between four different weights (5g, 10g, 15g, 20g) from the FastClip Weight Kit. Simply clip the weight into the dedi­ca­ted slot. Only one press of a button relea­ses the weight again. That’s it. No complicated processes involving unplugging and opening the mouse, no loss of warranty – just two clicks and you’re done.
Fartypants ?
Recruit Member

Player: Player
STEAM_0:0:16212666

Postby N1ck on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:08 am

Lol you typed this all by yourself? :lol:
N1ck
UKCS Sponsor

Player: n1ck
STEAM_0:0:9006642

Postby EWJ on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:08 am

lol fartypants.... Do you work for these people.. :P
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Nelsaidi on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:45 am

N1ck wrote:Lol you typed this all by yourself? :lol:

Whether he did or not, it doesnt help me select a new mouse! - You are supposed to WRITE a review, rather than write/copy tall the technical specifications...
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby ^^*Toecutter666*^^ on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:37 pm

gandy wrote:Headset - Sennheiser PC350.
Cons.
It blocks out so much noise you can hardly hear yourself speaking on the mic ( not really a bad thing )

Still you wont hear the missus nagging id say its a Pro not a Con for that reason alone. :P

My Setup

Microsoft Intelli 3

Saiket Eclipse 2

Steelseries 5Hv2

Q-Pad UC XL
^^*Toecutter666*^^
UKCS Sponsor

Player: ^^*Toecutter666*^^
STEAM_0:0:11705323

Postby evil elmo on Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:51 pm

toecutter im going to spank you next time u are on server i dont nag i just remind :P
evil elmo
UKCS Vice President
Executive Admin

Player: evil elmo
STEAM_0:1:8885123

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:42 am

Headset:

Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1 Headset

Pros:
Very comfortable.
4 Speakers per ear epice.
5.1. Sound = Win

Cons
None :)

Mouse

Logitech G5 Laser Mouse

Pros:
Adjustable DPI
Weights to maximise speed and control
Laser :o
Lovly grip and fits in the hand perfectly

Cons

Keyboard

Logitech G15 Keyboard

Pros:
LCD Screen displays Vent info and game stats (Such as WoW Char. stats)
Backlit keys for hardcore nighttime gaming
Macro keys
Game Key - Disables the Windows key so you cant accidently Windows-out of a feckin game.

Cons
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby Tickle Me Emo on Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:31 am

Well my setup:

Mouse:

Logitech G9

It fits my hand perfectly and i just love it, i know it has gotten bad reviews but its the only mouse that fits my palm perfectly :)

Pros - Changeble handles, lasted for about a year now, no problems. Great response time and profile settings for different games/weapons and stuff.

Cons - The scroll wheel is a bit wierd, but its only minor :)

Keybord:

SteelSeries 7G

I had a g15 before but the keys got greasy and the color faded of after a few months. Also the keys would lock in if pressed down for a long time. This has no faults yet :P

Pros - You can press all buttons down at the same time and it WILL register them all. Awesome response, 2 USB's and sound/mic plugs at the back. Easy for changing headsets :P

Cons - A bit expensive

Headset:

SteelSeries Sibiria

Bought it cuz it had good specs and looked nice. Gonna buy a new one really soon

Pros - Looks nice, feels good and has good quality too.

Cons - Mic gets annoying after some usuage, earbuffs get dusty and quality is slipping after hardcore usuage.

Mats:

Steelseries 5L and Qpad XT-R -

Both good :)

Last edited by Tickle Me Emo on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tickle Me Emo
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Pfc. Gaard [1st RB]
STEAM_0:0:15237876

Postby Flawless on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:00 am

Logitech G5 Jaspur
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby Duracellbunny on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:29 pm

using the logitech g5 mouse
works great downside i got v1 only 1 xtra mouse button

using the logitech g15 keyboard
big plus: using the v1 version got 18 xtra keys to add css etc
downside: lcd screen on keyboard can get defect fast

headphones
5.1 headphone incl mic
Works ok.
Downside: it has manual hardware volume options (front back and bass) and thats hard to setup correctly
Duracellbunny
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Duracell Bunny
STEAM_0:1:3735005

Next

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets