Best Keyboard, Mouse and Headset

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Re: Best Keyboard, Mouse and Headset

Postby mole3700 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:03 pm

Mox -05 wrote:Logitech G15 keyboard

Durr, after 3 years, it's getting dirty :P but the macros, the small LCD screen, backlighting on the keys...
Oh why dont I just clean it up? :P If I had to get a new keyboard, I'd hunt for another G15 classic.

Just had a look at that on the net, looks very nice.
How loud / quiet is it? That's a deciding factor me.
I might be wrong.
mole3700
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Mole
STEAM_0:0:14623303

Postby Corssair on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:19 am

Guys: No.

Razer Mamba
AKG K702 or
Razer Carcharias
Logitech G19

Corssair
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Cannabis
STEAM_0:1:20769756

Postby Kronnykrios on Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:06 am

SteelSeries Kinzu Optical - New! Incase anyone is deciding on it!

Got this baby about 2weeks ago, and for £26, it by far beats every other gaming mouse which I have used.
Fits my hand perfectly, with easy plug and play methods with optional easy to use software, 2Switchable sens/scroll speed/resolution settings with extra middle button.
SMOOTH feel with solid design, and my big hands seem to work well with this mouse regardless.

Pros
-It seemst to work well on any mousemat and surface without too much problems with the grip
-Long enough wire cable
-1/3rd of the cost of the laser version, and I highly doubt its 3x as good :)
-Steelseries support on returning if any problems do arise

Cons
-No extra programmable buttons
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand' -Kurt Vonnegut.
I will not succumb to evil, unless she's cute.
http://www.colorflip.com
Kronnykrios
Recruit Member

Player: TC opton
STEAM_0:1:13754436

Postby Azzy on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:37 pm

On recomendation by Lucky I have received the Razer Carcharias this afternoon. They are to replace my Sennheiser PC161's which I loved while they lasted.

I have to say, gaming and listening to music the sound quality is a lot better and I love the fact that the cable is not a plastic material it is a braided rope like material which seems fairly heavy duty. I can also say they are a lot more comfortable than other headsets I have used and they don't weigh much either.

My mouse is still the Lachesis as in my previous review along with my Razer Tarantula Keyboard
Forum Moderator
CSS Admin
Use the UKCS Uploader to upload images/files.
Azzy
UKCS Admin

Player: Azzy
STEAM_0:1:7114108

Postby Aceo on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:13 pm

Mouse: Roccat Kone

This mouse is great, comfortable and the extra buttons are responsive and easy to use. They can be programmed to do lots of different things within the software.
On the other hand, the scroll wheel has broken on two different Roccat Kone's for me now when clicking the scroll wheel to go right, when this happens it can no longer scroll. Won't be buying again I think.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Postby deuxmx on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:47 am

Just bought a Razer Lachesis of ebay a few days ago. Took abit of getting used too but once you realise you can make a mouse button that draws your pistol and pops off one shot, Handy when your main weapons clips empty and give your enough time to concentrate on getting out the way or pull back lol. And programme voice commands like enemy spotted, and need backup to other buttons on the mouse itself it gives you a whole different experience of the game. Now dont get me wrong i dont work for razor, and when i first got it home i had a few teething issue's getting it working with windows 7. Mostly the fact you have to update the firmware on the mouse due to a bug and the firmware updater not working with windows 7. Even with compatibility settings. But i got their in the end and some will notice my considerable jump up the rankings.
deuxmx
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Lagerlout
STEAM_0:1:30184837

Postby The_Pope on Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:39 pm

Suprised to see a lot of logitech mice but no-one has mentioned the MX518, so here's my mini review :P

Pros -
Fits your had perfectly, is a joy to use.
Smooth movement
Works on virtually any surface [not found one yet that it didn't work on]
2 extra side buttons, bothon the thumb side so easy to use while playing
Active DPI switching
Plug and Play connectivity, no software needed!
Durable as hell, had mine for 6 years now and the only thing that I can say is that thte rubber feet have come off through over use, it is still as solid as day 1
And best of all, the price - £20 and will last you forever!

Cons -
Right handed only, sorry lefties!
Cable could do with being a little longer, but that's mainly because my desk is quite deep

tl;dr version - Fantastic mouse for not much cash
The_Pope
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: The Pope @ i49
STEAM_0:0:2895797

Postby Mox -05 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:48 pm

Keyboard: G15
Cons: Quite big fellow!
Pros: LCD screen, easy-to-use macros, no extra fiddling unless you want to! Also a lot of games can use the LCD screen in some way (eg. Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars -- screen shows Units created, total round time, resources gathered)

Mouse: MX518
Cons: Some dirt appearing in the middle of it... but that's just my fingers I guess. And I should change the mousepaws (?), after all I've been using it a couple of years now
Pros: Fits in hand (at least in my big hand! :3) Awesome for palm/claw holding w/e
Glides nicely, the cursor doesnt stutter and shake (unlike some Roccat Kones'...)

Headset: Roccat Kave
Cons: faint humming sound, but doesnt bother when listening to music/playing. Also could be my Mobo doing that. Closed headset so cant hear anything if yer mom's yelling... wait, that belongs in Pros :p
Pros: Awesome sound quality, awesome bass \o/
no cheap plastic used so it wont break that easily (like my Medusas did :<)
Great mic (which turns at least 180 so you dont have to worry about the cord getting in your way)
Easy to change volumes with the little black box (wont get in your way either, thanks to long cord)

Mousemat: Roccat Sota
Cons: REEEAALLY BIG
Pros: REEEAAAALLYYYYYYY BIIIG and slippery

Edit: Yeah, I didnt notice my earlier post, but since I've updated some of my gear, I thought I'd share :3
I am 59% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
Also need someone that speaks latin! Gimme a PM!
Mox -05

Player: Moxitus
STEAM_0:1:7136379

Postby `666 on Sat May 08, 2010 11:31 am

jihn wrote:Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Best keyboard I ever used! I got 2nd one of this now because broke other one after spilling beer on it.
It is very thin so your hands work under very small angle which makes less stress for them

`666
UKCS Sponsor

Player: k37chup
STEAM_0:1:2667627

Postby `666 on Sat May 08, 2010 11:35 am

The_Pope wrote:Suprised to see a lot of logitech mice but no-one has mentioned the MX518, so here's my mini review :P

I had 4 of them & on all of them right mouse button broke, guess it doesn't like extreme cs1.6 knife gaming.

`666
UKCS Sponsor

Player: k37chup
STEAM_0:1:2667627

Postby melipone on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:17 pm

Update: Thought I should update this because I don't use the mouse anymore. Basically I much prefer my MX518 now which is about the same price but lacks a few features (programming, extra button, polling rate adjuster, weights). Its a good mouse but I just don't like a couple things about the shape and design, in particular the way it slopes away on the right side and the thumb grip gets very slippy for me (you can remove it but then you have a notch beneath the thumb buttons). The MX518 is lighter and has a lower lift off distance. Anyway for the price they are both decent, depending on preference and how you hold the mouse

Original post:

Got this last week : A4tech x-748k (http://www.amazon.co.uk/A4-X-748K-Gamin ... B001B2RTBY)

Pros:

Cheap (£18 delivered)
Good optical sensor (way better than my old G9 lazer..can use a lower sensitivity now and can't make it skip)
Excellent macro software and customization options for buttons (windows multimedia buttons, Gesture system etc. You can also make your own macros..I made a simple one for left clicking for TF2 but its actually pretty good if you can work out how to use it)
Small extra button for your macro or whatever out of the way by the left mouse button
Can set USB polling rate up to 1000 in the software, and button response time up to 3ms. I have it on 500, haven't tried 1000 as I read something about some dying..dunno how true that is tho
Much prefer the middle button compared to the one on the g9
Up to 3200 dpi but think its only real dpi to 1600 then they do something to fake it to 3200 I believe. I just use it at 600DPI
Adjustable weights system if you want to make it lighter..I haven't messed with that

Cons:

Thumb buttons aren't bad but they're kinda high up
This might be picky or i'm still getting used to it, but I'm not totally convinced by the left click action yet..doesn't feel quite as solid or something.. I dunno how long it will last
The company that makes it is obviously not English..the translations are quite comical on the box and the website is pretty poor. Theres no documentation for it really..the macro software especially needs some manual
Lift off distance is higher than the g9..I'm used to it now but it was quite noticeable when I first started with it

You get quite a lot for the price imo. Saying that tho I don't tend to change mouse that often so not sure how it would compare to everything else. Went from ball mouse to intellimouse explorer years ago, MX510, g9 then this. I much prefer it to the g9 tho. Was going to get an mx518 but read some bad stuff about the newer ones with the 1800dpi sensor, and these x748k's are supposed to use the same sensor as the old mx518

Last edited by melipone on Mon May 30, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melipone
Home Member

Player: melipone
STEAM_0:1:3190111

Postby Glitch on Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:22 pm

I've seen a couple of posts about the G9 already, but still here's my 'review'.

Logitech G9

Pro: Laser, 8 Buttons (incl. 2 on the sides), Tilt Wheel (up and down/left and right scrolling), Up to 3200 dpi, 1000 reports/second (fast responce from mouse to pc), 5 modes can be set with different DPI settings, which you can control by clicking a - and + button on top of the mouse,
very nice when you need to make fast movements with little hand movement in games for example, and you can just switch back to lower DPI if you want to do some 'sniping' in TF2 or CSS as an example.
Settings can be stored in the mouse itself, so you don't need to reprogram your settings on another pc. It comes with adjustable weights, so you can make your mouse heavier or lighter in movement.
Also it comes with 2 different 'grips' you can put on the mouse, just use the one that suits you best, both can be removed. Cords are protected by a rope-like suit.

Con: Some people like different shapes or they might fit better with their hand.

Price: Bought it for about €45.

Logitech Media Keyboard

Pro: Everything you need for multimedia is on this thing, while it's still simple and slim. Price is also low for this good keyboard.

Webbrowser buttons (open browser/close window/previous page)
Music/Movie buttons (play/hold/previous/next)
Volume buttons (mute/decrease volume/increase volume)
More buttons: open email/open calculator/F-buttons can be switched to a second mode to acces even more buttons.

Con: No easy accessible Macro-buttons, there are only 4 F-buttons that can be used to do a certain amount of things, but you can't record a macro and then 'play' it with the button.

Price: Bought it for about €15.

Logitech G15

Pro: You get everything you even need on this board, you name it and it has it. Comes with programmable macro-buttons, tho the new version has less buttons then the previous version, which had 40 to 50 if I'm right. LCD-screen with loads of apps to be found online, there's even a Tamagotchi app. Illuminated keys.

Con: Big! You'll need a bit of room for this keyboard. Price can be a con also if you don't have much to spend.

Price: About €90-100.

Creative Fatal1ty Gamer Headset

Pro: Great sound (awesome when you're gaming while playing your favorite song), great bass included, really nice for a 2-channel headset! Fluffy ear pads and 'head cushion', you can wear them for hours (speaking with experience) and not get sore (even with glasses on).
Well-made adjustable sides, volume and mic controller integrated in the cord. Microphone on the headset (which has a normal little mic-plug on its own) can be detached. Cord Length (8 feet).

Con: Can't find any, it does what it's made for.

Last edited by Glitch on Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glitch
Home Member

Player: Nyacide Green
STEAM_0:1:25203245

Postby Supashadow on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:40 pm

Glitch wrote:
Creative Fatal1ty Gamer Headset

Pro: Great sound (awesome when you're gaming while playing your favorite song), great bass included, really nice for a 2-channel headset! Fluffy ear pads and 'head cushion', you can wear them for hours (speaking with experience) and not get sore (even with glasses on).
Well-made adjustable sides, volume and mic controller integrated in the cord. Microphone on the headset (which has a normal little mic-plug on its own) can be detached. Cord Length (8 feet).

Con: Can't find any, it does what it's made for.

Recently bought all new stuff, had rubbish for a while now.

Headset : Creative Fatal1ty Gamer Headset ^^ (Thanks Glitch)

Keyboard : Logitech G11

Pros

Pretty nice feel to the keys, light up blue and you can change how bright it lights up an cool stuff like that :D Big ++ It also was very cheap!

Cons

Havent really got any, it's better than the cheap crap i had before! :lol:

Price

Very cheap - Bought from http://www.ebuyer.com for only £23.99!

Razer Abyssus Gaming Mouse

Pros

Nice grip to it and fits my hand perfectly, feels weird at first but you get used to it. Uhm this also lights up like my keyboard so they look pretty nice together! :D

Cons

None to be honest, suits me fine. :)

Price

Also bought from http://www.ebuyer.com for £31.98.

Supashadow
UKCS Sponsor

Player: CSB! o_O
STEAM_0:0:3661472

Postby Glitch on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:22 pm

You can't go wrong with the Razer mice can you? :)
Glitch
Home Member

Player: Nyacide Green
STEAM_0:1:25203245

Postby DeanX on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:05 pm

i need a new headset, but the gf would killl me if i spent 75quid on one!
*UKCS Old School*
DeanX
UKCS Admin

Player: DeanX
STEAM_0:0:4858412

Postby Supashadow on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:41 am

Glitch wrote:You can't go wrong with the Razer mice can you? :)

Nope! :D very nice mouse <3

DeanX wrote:i need a new headset, but the gf would killl me if i spent 75quid on one!

Sounds like my sister tbh, everytime i buy something shes like wtf why buy a mouse for that much! you can get them for like a fiver :L
Supashadow
UKCS Sponsor

Player: CSB! o_O
STEAM_0:0:3661472

Postby UK_sniper on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:01 pm

DeanX wrote:i need a new headset, but the gf would killl me if i spent 75quid on one!

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en& ... a=N&tab=wf

20£ mate. i been using my set for close to 2 years. have no complaints about them either.
Long Time UKCS Supporter, Retired Mod & Snr Admin
UK_sniper
UKCS Life Sponsor
Admin (Retired)

Player: UK_Sniper
STEAM_0:0:6007153

Postby n0rd on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:06 pm

UK_sniper wrote:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en& ... a=N&tab=wf

20£ mate. i been using my set for close to 2 years. have no complaints about them either.

same here kev, I really like it, but I'm in on my second one :P the first one broke (fail from manufactures)
Feel free to ask questions - n0rd|UKCS| Image / Image
n0rd
UKCS Sponsor

Player: n0rd
STEAM_0:0:12198010

Postby EffeCt!vE on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:48 pm

My setup:

Keyboard:
Microsft Basic Keyboard 1.0A
Mouse:
Roccat Kone
Headset:
Plantronics Gamescom 777 5.1:
Mouse Pad:
Happy Birth Day card, have to buy a pad first :D :D

EffeCt!vE
Recruit Member

Player: EffeCt!vE [cFc]
STEAM_0:1:33248244

Postby Little_Devil on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:17 am

Glitch wrote:You can't go wrong with the Razer mice can you? :)

I have had 2 break on me, the first a diamondback ended up with the mouse wheel forever sticking and spurious pulses from the wheel meant it was useless as a mouse wheel , and the second a deathadder had sticky switches with the plastic of the buttons being too close to the wheel.

Had an MX518 ever since with absolutely no problems and has been nothing but a solid and well designed piece of kit.
Pros :
for this as far as I am concerned, is the size. Comfortable to use, right handed.
Unlike the razr, the moulding keeps your fingers and thumb away from the buttons under normal use.
Software although needing some tweaking as far as acceleration is concerned, is adequate and not over complicated.

cons: not come across any.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

PreviousNext

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets