Best Keyboard, Mouse and Headset

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Re: Best Keyboard, Mouse and Headset

Postby G3!ST on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:55 am

got the roccat kone mouse and kave headset, both great!
keyboard was old saitek eclipse, now broken. thinking may get the g110 or g510 logitech ;/ but expensive!
G3!ST
UKCS Sponsor

Player: most likely a bit upset
STEAM_0:0:6011571

Postby Ranger on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:48 pm

Ive got a razer diamondback. Got it at the end of 2004, its done me well for 6 years!
Got a a saitek eclipse 2, great keyboard - lots of pretty colours.
And a pair of Sennheiser HD 485's, awesome set of headphones!
Look! I have a backpack!
Feel free to add me on steam
Ranger
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Ranger
STEAM_0:0:4337458

Postby Nelsaidi on Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:44 pm

jihn wrote:My last keyboard was a Logitech G11, was a total average keyboard, nice with the ability to bind macros for mmo's etc if u need that. Anyway, it was huge, looked like sh*t and dident really impress me, also keyboard lights were poor. Before that i was using the "Mist Oghma", its a simple and cheap keyboard. Did its job well, not very noisy, but i did find it a little small. Before that i was using the "Saitek Eclipse" Very good and responsive keyboard could be handy with the inside light, but in retrospect i see that the light on this keyboard was fairly poor aswell. There was also a poor paint job, and it dident take many weeks of use before the coloring on the buttons started to go away and keyboard light was made even more redundant. This is what iv gone throu the last 12 months, now lets see how long this thing lasts me.

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

First off, its not the cheapest keyboard around. But then again, the design and look definantly makes up for that. It is quite simply stunning.
What really suprised me once i had plugged it in was how well the lighting in this keyboard worked. So far on the different keyboards i have tried out the light has been fairly poor and inconsistent. The light is really consistent across the entire keyboard, and it feels really comfortable to look at, its far beyond any other keyboards iv tried or seen.
Also the light that shows capslock/numlock is active has been moved down below the keypad, as im sure u can see on the picture below here. I think its a neat little finesse, and for me who has the keyboard on a drawer below the computer desk it fits even better.

When it comes to typing on this keyboard, it goes really smooth. Im not totally accustomed to this keyboard yet as i just recived it yesterday, and it replaced the huge pice of garbage aka G11.
Anyway, as i saied it feels very smooth, from the touch of the keys to the sound it makes. But there is ofc a downside, the backspace key.
Im not sure if this is a wide spread problem on all the keyboards or maby i have just been unlucky, the backspace key seems to be a little inconsistent. It could also be somthing that is only happening on keyboards with a Norwegian layout, i really dont know. Its not somthing that happens all the time, but i can easily reproduce this problem. I use the same amount of force on all the keys, gentle and smooth, but when i come to the backspace key and press it with the same amount of force as any of the other keys it happens that it doesent register. Say i use a little more strength and it hits every time. Also put both fingers on the key and pressing really gently down. When i do this on any other key it registers and kicks the key back up again, if i do it on the backspace i can press it down and come to an area of no resistance(the keystroke should be registered here, but its not). If i press a little more when at this area of no resistance the keystroke is registered and pops back up again.

Another thing that i feel should be slightly improved is the F-keys, to me they feel a little to small. Just a small tought bigger and they would be just perfect.

****For gaming***
Finally im writing somthing on the gaming side for this keyboard!
My gaming experience so far on this keyboard is alot better then expected. I actually expected it to be a less then good experience, so far the keyboards i have tried out have been good for one or the other. Part of the reason i dident expect it do deliver so well for gaming was that the keyboard does seem kinda small and the keys are low. And my experience with "normal" keyboard buttons has been very good. Anyway, it feels a bit akward straight away when u change from a bigger keyboard like i did, but a few hours and you wont even remember what your old keyboard looked like. So thumbs up for gaming aswell.

9/10

^^ What he said ^^
After I sold my Lycosa got one of them, excellent build quality, is actually really quiet, excellent all in all, so, jihns review x2
Oh, only thing that disappinted me was a slightly louder than the rest of the keyboard space bar, and i was expecting the keys to be mirror coated as opposed to rubber, but still great nonetheless.
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: batman
STEAM_0:1:11977681

Postby nevvy on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:28 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO my logitech mx510 has died. after many years of loyal service, it has finally snuffed it. ironically it was killed by too much beer (spillage).

i've just ordered myself a logitech g500 to replace it (it was on offer on amazon). i hope this mouse lasts as long the mx510. has anyone got one? all of the reviews are fairly standard tbh.

Standing on the point since beta Retired pointstander
nevvy
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Nevvy
STEAM_0:0:5372127

Postby Cotillion on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:17 pm

Headset: BeyerDynamics DT100

Pro's:
- Very very good sound quality (it is a pro headset for soundsutdio's), you can literally hear details in sounds you never heard before.
- Very comfortable.
- Superb build quality
- Long cable
- If something breaks you can order parts for it

Con's:
- No mic, but was deliverable with mic also.
- Not made anymore but can be found on internet
- Not cheap, although if you find some old stock it can be cheaper as when it was new on the market ;)
your personal ignis fatuus
Cotillion
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Cotillion \m/
STEAM_0:1:32290831

Postby Security on Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:48 pm

Mouse: Razer Imperator
Pros:
- Massive DPI range with on the fly switching (800 DPI to 6400 DPI)
- Adjustable buttons on the side
- Insanely precise even at high DPI/sense (I use it at 6.4k DPI, max Windows sense and TF2 sense at 11 (or equal in other games) and have no precision problems or pixel skipping (I actually experienced pixel skipping on my Copperhead at super high sense))

Cons:
- I fear it will die on me at the 2 year mark like the 2 Copperheads before it
- Expensive (paid 70 Euro's for it)
- Right handed only
- Certain firmware versions cause the mouse to turn off randomly

Keyboard: Razer Tarantula
Pros:
- Laptop like key's
- Lasts very long (mine is over 5 years old and still functioning like it was on day 1)
- Functionality (Macro keys, all types of function keys)
- USB ports on it
- Drivers are there but not needed(except for macro's)

Cons:
- Expensive (paid 120 Euro's for it at the time but cheap if you realise it has lasted me for 5 years already)
- Hard to find these days (I honestly don't know a shop with them in stock)
- Big (mainly width)
Last edited by Security on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby marnick on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:30 pm

ok ppl i wanna buy a new mouse :) maby the new razer mamba (2012) ?

or u know a better 1 :)
lo all i hope that you have fun
marnick
UKCS Admin

Player: Marnick
STEAM_0:1:5740318

Postby 404 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:02 pm

MX 518, G400 & G500.

Three of the best mouses in the market right now.

Player: Prime
STEAM_0:1:39935955

Postby marnick on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:16 pm

ok i have the new razer mamba 2012 + razer scarab mouse mat
http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/ThemeID.26460500/productID.2311
Gaming Grade Wireless Technology
6400dpi 4G Dual Sensor System
Dual mode wired /wireless functionality
1000Hz Ultrapolling /1ms response time
Multi-Color Lighting
Up to 200 inches per second* /50g acceleration
Approximate size: 128mm x 70mm x 42.5mm
Battery Life: Approx 16 hrs (continuous gaming)

have it now for 1 day, AND LOVE IT <3 <3
if u want the new best gaming mouse buy razer mamba 2012
lo all i hope that you have fun
marnick
UKCS Admin

Player: Marnick
STEAM_0:1:5740318

Postby kidoo on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:58 pm

Razor Death Adder (Black edition)

Pros: VERY nice m1 & m2 buttons which are extremely sensitive and pick up the slightlest finger push. Relatively cheap, very nice fit into the palm of the hand, high DPI cool glowly feature, two macro buttons on the side.

Cons: Wired, mouse buttons can break easily if mishandled from the front.

Fatal1ty Headset MKII

Pros: Very comfy and nice bass.

Cons: Not cheap, mic...although detachable is very fiddly and shakes around a lot. MK I is better overall.
"Mess with the best, Die like the rest"

kidoo

Player: Ⓐ Michael Faraday
STEAM_0:1:17637678

Postby MrsSekhmet on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:27 pm

this is my headset

My mouse is a cheap Trust one, costed me 10€ and my keyboard is my laptops.. It works, so i a happy.

I am so glamorous i piss glitter and sh*t stardust

My life is a constant struggle between being bored and being lazy.
MrsSekhmet
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sekh
STEAM_0:1:40186891

Postby Flawless on Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:37 am

So, I took a dive into the more expensive world of gaming peripherals and came out with this,

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/157858ra ... g-keyboard

It's a mechanical keyboard, and it frankly it was worth every penny in comparison to the other keyboards I've used (Razer Lycosa, Logitech G15, Saitek Eclipse 2). The over all feel of using it blows the others away and tactile feed back from the keys is amazing. I'd really recommend anyone to give a mechanical keyboard a go, there is something extremely satisfying about mashing the keys too.

It is rather pricey, however the non-ultimate edition can be had for ~£60. It also weighs a ton at 1.5 Kg

Pros -

Destroys any membrane based keyboard in terms of feel and tactile feedback
Programmable macros
Various back-light settings (4 I believe)
Comes with decent software, up to 10 profiles, for different key configurations while gaming. It can also remap (to a different key or to do something different like launch an app) or disable nearly any key.
Makes you feel like a pro hacker with the mashing of those keys
Doesn't seem to have any key combination problems that other keyboards I've used in the past have had, some have took a fit at 3 key combinations before.
Not mind blowing, but it does have a audio input/output and USB port on the side.

Cons -
Pricey
Weighs a fair amount
Can be noisy, but this isn't true of all mechanical keyboards that depends on what type of switches it uses for the key
Recording a macro on the fly isn't as intuitive as it could be
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby Deez.Nuts on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:05 pm

Is mechanical the way to go? I may treat myself for christmas to a new keyboard instead of shave my G11.
Deez.Nuts
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Morbid Cowboy
STEAM_0:0:17684329

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Anyone have any experience with http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/STEELSERI ... 308261/361 ?

I seen it in my local PCWorld and it matches my case! 8) I've been on the lookout for a new surround sound headset and it looks quite comfortable, but you can never really tell until you use one for sustained gaming. My current headset, Turtle beach X1 (I think) is only stereo surround and although comfortable, leaves a lot to be desired with the audio.
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby Deathtaker27 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks Podge, speccy and Tao
Deathtaker27
Old Timer

Player: DT27
STEAM_0:1:22687060

Postby Blaze on Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:19 am

Gh0st.IRE wrote:Anyone have any experience with http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/STEELSERI ... 308261/361 ?

I seen it in my local PCWorld and it matches my case! 8) I've been on the lookout for a new surround sound headset and it looks quite comfortable, but you can never really tell until you use one for sustained gaming. My current headset, Turtle beach X1 (I think) is only stereo surround and although comfortable, leaves a lot to be desired with the audio.

Yep.
Great great great great great headset, extremely comfortable as well (whilst also looking AWESOME).
Blaze
UKCS Sponsor

Player: blazey
STEAM_0:1:22040076

Postby ApacheFlame on Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:43 am

I have the same headset, got mine through ebay from China, even if they are knock offs, which I doubt. They are bloody good.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby MakeNine on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Gh0st.IRE wrote:Anyone have any experience with http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/STEELSERI ... 308261/361 ?

Can't tell you if it's any good but I was thinking of buying one and saw the price in PC world the other day too. Just make sure you never buy it there because there's no way it's worth 170e :shock: I don't know how PC WORLD get away with those kind of prices. Even on the Steelseries website they are sold at 80-90e

MakeNine
Home Member

Player: [IG] MKNine
STEAM_0:0:5987970

Postby Flawless on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:32 am

Deez.Nuts wrote:Is mechanical the way to go? I may treat myself for christmas to a new keyboard instead of shave my G11.

Only seen this now, but yes. I'd be physically offended to go back to a membrane type keyboard. There is also old mechanical (IBM ones) you can pick up. I can't stress enough how much better this over every other piece of crap I've bought over the years.

Would probably look for a non-gaming peripheral mech. keyboard next time, as I think they can be found £40 for a "basic" keyboard i.e. no fancy crap
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby Little_Devil on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:22 am

http://www.datamancer.net/keyboards/keyboards.htm
Example

Just search for SteamPunk :D

http://steampunkworkshop.com/keyboard.shtml

I like the monitor, sort of reminds me of an old mirror. Addition of a camera, guess it could be :P
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

PreviousNext

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets