Windows 7 Tips

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Re: Windows 7 Tips

Postby Aceo on Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:33 am

meyenburg wrote:How would i be able to uninstall, say MW2?

It doesnt show up in install/uninstall programs thingy :S

Cant even see steam in there, or css, or other games i have installed for that matter :S

Right click on program in steam games list > remove local content?

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Postby meyenburg on Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:46 am

Yeah, thats the way to do it too.

Just a bit weird it dont show up in remove thingy :/
meyenburg
UKCS Sponsor

Player: real1ty
STEAM_0:0:8411193

Postby Jona-Man on Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:34 am

i have windows 7 also is much more better then vista.
for games much more better then vista !
Image Image Image
Jona-Man
Home Member

Player: Jona
STEAM_0:1:24483633

Postby Little_Devil on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:04 pm

meyenburg wrote:How would i be able to uninstall, say MW2?

It doesnt show up in install/uninstall programs thingy :S

Cant even see steam in there, or css, or other games i have installed for that matter :S

Control Panel then select Programs and Features
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby `666 on Mon May 17, 2010 11:09 am

`666
UKCS Sponsor

Player: k37chup
STEAM_0:1:2667627

Postby Little_Devil on Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:00 pm

Fast file copy of multiple files.

Robocopy : A built in command line function of Win 7 but you can download a GUI to use this powerful function from here : http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 006_11.exe

Whilst reading about the above, I came across this tool which allows more functionality.

Rich copy - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/maga ... light.aspx

downlaod - http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 009_04.exe

Short exert from the article

In this case, we're discussing the simplest of tasks: copying files. Except copying files is not always that simple. What if you're copying thousands of files across a slow connection? What happens if your network hiccups and interrupts the copy? What if you want to make sure that you preserve particular file attributes, such as a Last Modified date, but not other attributes, like security descriptors? What if you want to filter the files you're copying from source to destination based on filename or extension?
If any of these apply to you, the simple Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V combination probably won't cut it. And though Robocopy GUI certainly improves on that basic functionality, it still has some limitations in terms of granular control and usability. What you need is RichCopy.
RichCopy is a free utility that comes to us from Ken Tamaru of Microsoft. The tool was first developed in 2001 and has been updated regularly to keep pace with evolving needs. Trust me when I tell you, this is the answer to all your file copying needs. What you'll find most striking the first time you take RichCopy out for a spin is that it's a multithreaded copying tool. That means that rather than copying one file at a time in serial order, RichCopy can open multiple threads simultaneously, allowing many files to be copied in parallel and cutting the total time required to complete the operation several times over. You can also pause and resume file copy operations, so if you lose network connectivity at any point, you can just pick up where you left off.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby n0rd on Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:11 pm

oh this could be really useful for me :) Thanks for the tip LD :D
Feel free to ask questions - n0rd|UKCS| Image / Image
n0rd
UKCS Sponsor

Player: n0rd
STEAM_0:0:12198010

Postby Nelsaidi on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:27 pm

Richcopy was annoyingly awful, kept on crashing and almost lost a load of important files.

Robocopy on the other hand is awesome, Copied my 100GB Desktop in under an hour without any issues - Thanks LD <3 - Will be using it more often as opposed to the standard windows, the speed of which I cant comment on, but often causes a huge drop in performance for the duration of copying

EDIT
~24MegaBytes a SECOND, thats absoultely surreal, robocop has done in 90 minutes what I've tried doing for the last 5 hours :S
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: batman
STEAM_0:1:11977681

Postby Little_Devil on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:31 pm

Speed up you LAN network by just over 10%.

Erratic local-networking performance. Occasionally and for no obvious reason, a Win7 LAN connection will slow to a crawl.
Just do a search on win7 slow network, and see how many hits you get for proof of this :P

First culprit is the Win 7's HomeGroup feature, which is enabled by default. For a description of this, there are a number of pages on MS to explain what it is. Everyone needs a network for different purposes and one network is not the same as another. It is designed to work in a wide range of circumstances, but not necessarily optimally for any of them. You also have the fact that the connection has 128 bit encryption enabled by default, something which takes time to do, and is not absolutely necessary, the old system was 56 bit encryption , which is ample.

Test done with a large fixed size file gives around 9% speed increase with HomeGroup disabled and a classic workgroup used. and a further 3% increase by changing from 128 bit encryption to 56 bit encryption.

Leaving a HomeGroup Network
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -homegroup

Next, to disable HomeGroup and change encryption levels, open the Control Panel, select Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center. Once there, in the left-hand pane choose Change advanced sharing settings.

This will take a bit of work on your part, and you have to determine what you want, and if it is worth doing.
The easiest step is just to enable 56 bit encryption, instead of the 128 bit encryption.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby renegade_master on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:26 am

I am in proces of buying an i7 alienware machine and I read one of the review from customer feedback, specifically in relation to windows 7.

here was the review written by bigredbulldog on 23rd feb 2012;

So we purchased the Aurora desktop as a personal computer a little over a year ago, and have had a cascade of issues. When the computer is working it is great super-fast, quiet, everything we could ask for... Then when Windows 7 asked to run updates we of course said yes we should run those updates. It seemed logical why would a computer manufacture make a computer that could not run the basic updates for the operating system. We could not be more wrong...
Come to find out the Aurora's hardware is configured differently than a "normal" PC (I'm not a computer super genius, that's why I paid Dell to put the computer together). Essentially if Windows 7 updates and resets all of the hardware configurations to the factory settings the computer will not start up. The first time this happened I called dell and after going around and around with service personal we finally reset the "bios" (again not a computer super-genius) and got the computer working again.
So it just happened again and I called Dell to help me fix the problem and what do they inform me... My warranty has expired... So after spending close to $4000 for the computer when new, I have to continue the shell out cash to Dell to keep this unstable system, that they created, working.
Deeply frustrated to say the least!
Product Uses:video production, internet, office products

should I not download windows 7 updates ? its kinda worried me :P
renegade_master
Home Member

Player: Renegade_Master
STEAM_0:1:8405460

Postby Little_Devil on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:11 pm

Upgrade, since DELL are always screwing things up with their specials, doesn't mean everyone else does it :)
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Previous

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets