Buying Software over the Internet

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Buying Software over the Internet

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:26 am

Just a note and some instructions as to what to look for, when buying Software over the internet.

There are a number of sites on the net that can look quite good, offering software at quite unbelievable knock-down prices, do not be fooled.

Whenever you view any of these sites, the first thing you should do is to do a quick check on the manufacturers page and check the actual cost of the software from them.

There is an old saying " ACT IN HASTE, REPENT AT LEISURE " , follow these simple rules and you should be alright.

1/ If the price difference looks to be a vast difference, it is more than likely illegal software, with no backup from the manufacturer.
Rule of thumb, anything with a greater than 20% price difference on new software, be careful.

2/ Check the contact details, if there are none, or what looks to be a hotmail/google mail then ignore the site, any reputable business will have their own site and associated mail.
Some sellers can be legitimate with these emails, but it is a good sign that there is something wrong, given the price difference.

3/ Check the site does not make extravagant claims, like 'We will personally guarantee all sales of this and will give free support via our email contact"

4 Contact the seller, and ask them to provide details of their supplier. Most companies will buy direct from the manufacturer or through a wholesaler who will not sell to the public, so will give that information. If the answer comes back that they don't give that information, then ask them to prove it is legal software.

5 Contact the manufacturer and ask them if the site is legal, it is in their, and your best interests to know this.
A number of companies will know through market research who their competitors are, and who is selling software illegally.
Some companies do sell off older versions of their software at cheap prices, so will be able to confirm if the seller is a recognised trader.

Apart from the sites that sell new software at very cheap prices, being obviously ripped off, there are a number of sites that sell software as their own or a packaged set.
Be careful, they will give little or no support, and the packages will just be either old software gathered from a number of sources, and/or freeware/shareware applications, that they will charge what looks like a reasonable price.

BUYER BEWARE
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Re: Buying Software over the Internet

Postby Dragon on Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:28 am

Excellent advice.

Will keep that in mind LD, you're reserach is not in vain.
Do you need something from me? - then please add me to steam. (PM who you are on here first though, i do not add random people) Image
Dragon
UKCS Sponsor

STEAM_0:0:1878552

Re: Buying Software over the Internet

Postby Destroy on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Nice Post Sir'LD

-> software <- u have to now the back doors to gett it free and complete!!

I do have respect for the Guyz that Buying Software,...
I'm sorry to the guyz that where been ripped before
My best friend (Lost 750€ buying a Sphinx cat with visa)
2,5 years procedure in the Law way and it is still not okay,..
`. · » add Image me « · .´
`. · » Ðestroy-Я·©·« · .´

Send a message to me? -> Image <- please click on the icon
Destroy
Home Member

Player: Ðestroy-Я ·©·
STEAM_0:1:8480375

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets