AGP/PCIe/SLi

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

AGP/PCIe/SLi

Postby bubba on Wed May 11, 2005 12:20 pm

Righttt... on mobo's would it b possible to run a agp card on a SLi/PCIe board?

i was goin 2 buy a Asus 6800GT 256 agp card but got boggled bout new chit coming out coz i was goin 2 upgrade n build me own pc when get spare £££££ and was goin 2 get a Asus board 2 start it off. as u do O.o

am i a utter geek noob?
ImageImage
bubba
Home Member

Player: bubba.
STEAM_0:0:715341

Postby EvolvedMonkey on Wed May 11, 2005 12:56 pm

go for the PCI-e

There are mobos available out there with the single AGP and single PCI-e on them, but I havent seen one as yet with SLI PCI-e AND an AGP slot. They might bring one out, but i think it would be utterly pointless as SLI PCI-e does the job.
But I'm feeling good, And if you don't exist, you're still one illusion that I can't resist
EvolvedMonkey
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: EvolvedMonkey
STEAM_0:0:183417

Re: AGP/PCIe/SLi

Postby Little_Devil on Wed May 11, 2005 1:01 pm

ee. wrote:Righttt... on mobo's would it b possible to run a agp card on a SLi/PCIe board?

i was goin 2 buy a Asus 6800GT 256 agp card but got boggled bout new chit coming out coz i was goin 2 upgrade n build me own pc when get spare £££££ and was goin 2 get a Asus board 2 start it off. as u do O.o

am i a utter geek noob?

If you are going to buy a new mobo now, choose the PCIe slotted boards, the graphics cards are allready produced for this.

http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/prod ... 4&SPSNo=42

Don't think they do any boards that have both AGP and PCIe on anyway.

http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/prod ... 3&SPSNo=46
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby LuckyNV on Wed May 11, 2005 1:44 pm

There are PCI-E boards that can fit AGP slot cards into them, these mobos have a slot called AGR.

However currently the technology is in its infancy, and from the benches i've seen the performance loss is over 40% across the board.

apparently there is a mobo that has little/no loss but i've not yet seen a test on it.
LuckyNV
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: LNV IS HE MAD?!
STEAM_0:1:4677295

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets