Tablet Computing

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Tablet Computing

Postby Little_Devil on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Just been looking at Tablets and came across these :

8GB £110
http://uk.store.creative.com/entertainm ... 20231.aspx

8GB £150
http://uk.store.creative.com/entertainm ... 20230.aspx

Both have resistive screens, rather than capacitive, which means they are better used with a pen. Only problem is they are looking dated now, since they are running Android 2.x, rather than 3.x honeycomb, but still very cheap when compared against something like the Kindle fire and other similar book devices.

A bit more looking around, and maybe found out why they are so cheap. ZiiLABS, a wholly owned subsidiary of Creative Technology has come up with a reference design Jaguar 3 which looks like it may replace these 2.
http://www.ziilabs.com/
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Re: Tablet Computing

Postby Ragonz on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:26 pm

I would honestly reccomend an ipad 2, absolutely brilliant although a tad expensive, but as they say you get what you pay for. On a side note, can i grab a few people opinions on the following images, Reply or PM me with your thoughts. I'm about to make a decision on if i accept or reject a business proposal and i would greatly appreciate a bit of feedback on them. Let me know if you would buy one

Far left - £230
middle left - £322.99
middle right - £235
right - £10 with a tablet (not to be sold seperatly)
Asus Sabertooth X58 Motherboard | I7 -950 @ 5.2Ghz | Crucial 18GB 1600Mhz Ballistix memory | Saphire HD7970 | Coolermaster 700W PSU | Watercooled

Xfire - Ragonz
Steam Rush Evo
http://www.Pingperfect.com
Ragonz
Home Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: -=TSH=-Ragonz
STEAM_0:1:2842690

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:48 pm

I wouldn't buy Apple out of general principle, they are well overpriced and are stalling the expansion of the Market with their incessant wrangling over so called patents, that should not be allowed in the first place.

I wouldn't buy any of those, since they are overpriced for the O.S. they are running. Android 2.3 is outdated now, with the inception of ver 3 honeycomb, which is hitting the markets at this time, and will become more prolific over the first quarter of this year. middle left - £322.99 is probably the best value for money, but even so, I think it overpriced.

As an example look at this one :

Cortex A8 1GHz
512MB DDR3 RAM
4GB Flash
7" Capacitive Screen with 3D Output
Wifi + HDMI + Flash 10.3
WildTangent Games App
Webcam + Android 2.3

£129.99

http://www.ebuyer.com/294945-scroll-exc ... t-pc-53715
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby Cobra on Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:16 pm

iPad all the way :).

ps. Hai!

Cobra
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Cobra^Trinity
STEAM_0:0:2543793

Postby Ragonz on Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:57 pm

Bear in mind that with a tablet the more hdd space it has the higher the price, i would have thought that the prices were fairly reasonable taking into account that they have at least 4X the amount of space that the one you linked just below has, that and its faster, has more ram and is 3" larger
Asus Sabertooth X58 Motherboard | I7 -950 @ 5.2Ghz | Crucial 18GB 1600Mhz Ballistix memory | Saphire HD7970 | Coolermaster 700W PSU | Watercooled

Xfire - Ragonz
Steam Rush Evo
Ragonz
Home Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby PREDATORPANTS|UKCS| on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:04 pm

If you check on G4 in 2012 there is a Gaming Tablet PC being released in Q4 made by razor!:) The videos for it look very promising! :cheers: :cheers:
Welcome to the Battlefield...

"dread|UKCS| <on DOD#3>: omg des is doming me "
"dread|UKCS| <on DOD#3>: Im not having this, someone spec him"
"TC|UKCS|: Well done Predator! Brilliant work! :D" ty Mr.President

PREDATORPANTS|UKCS|
Experienced Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: солдат001
STEAM_0:0:18109619

Postby Ragonz on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:23 am

I thought that wasnt actually confirmed yet, its a concept idea at the moment and havent they put out a load of email/facebook spam to see if anyone would actually buy it?

Xfire - Ragonz
Steam Rush Evo
Ragonz
Home Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby PREDATORPANTS|UKCS| on Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:32 am

Actually due to me reading it, yes your right! its only concept... :'( ... however they did state 2012 Q4..... so im kinda :scratch: over it, however :) if they did release i wouldnt mind hooking up to wifi and playing Company of Heroes or DoD Source at work lol ! :cheers: :cheers:

PREDATORPANTS|UKCS|
Experienced Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Flawless on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:07 am

Don't forget LD there is some Android distros that work on tablets meaning even if you buy one with an outdated OS it can be easily overcome
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby Deathtaker27 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:20 pm

Ice cream sandwich is already in testing :D

also, why the random names for these things?
Thanks Podge, speccy and Tao
Deathtaker27
Old Timer

Player: DT - RS
STEAM_0:1:22687060

Postby Little_Devil on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:52 pm

Ragonz wrote:Bear in mind that with a tablet the more hdd space it has the higher the price, i would have thought that the prices were fairly reasonable taking into account that they have at least 4X the amount of space that the one you linked just below has, that and its faster, has more ram and is 3" larger

The one I pointed to, was just as a comparison on a fairly like for like basis, given the 7" Tablet you showed was £235.

I am just pointing out the price discrepancies. btw as far as processing speed is concerned, you shouldn't be trying to compare a cortex A8 with another CPU based on clock speed, since there is no comparison. The cortex can run nearly twice the instruction rate as a lot of Intels. btw anything with MS windows based system I would look at rather wearingly :P

As far as upgrading the O.S., that of course can be done, and there are many places where you can get this and do it yourself, however what I am saying is similar to this. Would you go out and buy an older PC, at the same price rates of the next generation, which was in its infancy on the market now. I was showing the comparison, to show how some manufacturers are still holding the prices up on older system, despite newer and far better models coming onto the market quite soon, whilst others are reducing things like memory and HDD space, to sell them off fast. HDD space is not that important, given that a lot of the devices, will have cloud access to storage space, and with a bigger SD card, has enough capacity for something which is portable.

I will be more interested in purchasing, when they pull out the stops and use the Cortex A9 (already some new ones have this) and A15. As far as the O.S. is concerned, I won't entertain anything less than the version 3 honeycomb system for a multitude of reason, and with it being so close to release on better tablets this year, I can afford to wait. :)
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby Security on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Tbh. all the cheap tablets are crap atm. as the market simply isn't at the point (tech wise) to produce good quality tablets for a really cheap price, if the Kindle already is too expensive for you I suggest holding on to your money (especially if you want Android 3.0) instead of getting something you will regret.

Personally I have a Playbook which I use as an extension to my Blackberry phone and for example comparing the iPad to it I have to say the iPad is too heavy (it is almost twice the size of a Playbook) making it not comfortable to use for longer periods of time (ignoring the fact that it's an Apple product).
Also the 2.0 update of the Playbook made me jizz a little of excitement:

Eat your heart out iPad users! :P
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby nevvy on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:43 pm

i do miss my blackberry keyboard :S

on the subject of tablets: i dont get them. a laptop can be purchased for the same price as a tablet (certainly the more expensive ones). a laptop can do more stuff more efficiently than a tablet, unless im walking around. then i have a smartphone, like everyone else.

the playbook is interesting because i compliments the phone, rather than being a big phone that doesnt call people. :scratch:

Standing on the point since beta Retired pointstander
nevvy
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Nevvy
STEAM_0:0:5372127

Postby re# Skilgannon on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:08 pm

I love my ipad and tbh I have no problems using it for extended periods of time, I got mine through work though so it didnt cost me as £lol.00 as it could have done
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby PREDATORPANTS|UKCS| on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Deathtaker27 wrote:Ice cream sandwich is already in testing :D

Thats the name of the system right? :L

PREDATORPANTS|UKCS|
Experienced Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Little_Devil on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:37 pm

nevvy wrote:i do miss my blackberry keyboard :S

on the subject of tablets: i dont get them. a laptop can be purchased for the same price as a tablet (certainly the more expensive ones). a laptop can do more stuff more efficiently than a tablet, unless im walking around. then i have a smartphone, like everyone else.

the playbook is interesting because i compliments the phone, rather than being a big phone that doesnt call people. :scratch:

Pretty much my thoughts really. If they were priced lower than a laptop, I would be more interested in purchasing, but these things have a smaller screen and less functionality, and yet cost more :?

We used to name projects with all sorts of names, typically female names or something none descriptive, which purposefully did not let on to anyone seeing a file name, what the project was. :)
Spies all around us :P
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby Kaelan002 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:30 pm

PREDATORPANTS|UKCS| wrote:

Its the version of Android (the system). :P

Fun fact:
There is a model of the food in each name outside google HQ. Supposedly it was going to be ice cream but that would have looked too similar to froyo, so it was changed to ice cream sandwich.

It goes:

Cupcake (v1.5)
Donut (v1.6)
Eclair (v2.1)
Froyo [Frozen Yogurt] (v2.2)
Gingerbread (v2.3)
Honeycomb (v3)
Ice cream sandwich(v4)

There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby Security on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:35 pm

PREDATORPANTS|UKCS| wrote:

It's actually simple, Google has 2 rules for the code names:
  • They follow the alphabet
  • It has to be a sweet candy of some sorts
:)

Edit: Oh lol I didn't know Google also placed little models outside of there HQ.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby PREDATORPANTS|UKCS| on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:54 pm

:D Thats awsome!

PREDATORPANTS|UKCS|
Experienced Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:59 pm

This is what I mean about prices of Android 2.x £149.99inc. vat

The prices have started to drop.

ARM Cortex A8 1GHz
8GB Flash
10.1" LCD Touch
3D OpenGL ES 2.0
Wifi
Bluetooth
Android 2.2

For a comparison on speede between Arm to Intel multiply by roughly 2 for the Intel speed
As far as memory is concerned, people still think in terms of memory on an Intel system. Which is wrong for the Arm systems, being a different Architecture

http://www.ebuyer.com/253157-archos-101 ... -pc-501590

As an aside
Intel's Medfield chip-set aimed at getting the company into smartphones has been dissed by ARM CEO Warren East.

"Are they ever going to be the leaders in power efficiency? No, of course not," East told Reuters at CES.

"It's inevitable Intel will get a few smartphone design wins," added East.

Getting up close and personal, East added: "They have taken some designs that were never meant for mobile phones and they've literally wrenched those designs and put them into a power-performance space which is roughly good enough for mobile phones."

Intel reckons Medfield will get it into smartphones and tablets.

Qualcomm says its ARM-based Snapdragon S4 has won 70 non-handset design wins at 20 manufacturers.

lol
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Next

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets