Windows 8, too soon?

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Windows 8, too soon?

Postby heuji on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:47 pm

with the beta testing about to start, what do you reckon, too soon? Tech site beta release info.
me, i'm personally bored of continually having to buy new versions of something that really just runs irrelevently in the background, not to mentions the 'hiccups' that occur using new versions. M.E. & Vista we're two massive failures, for different reasons. it's beginning to feel like Microsoft has started using a 'subscription' type method by releasing new platforms so frequently.
lets face it, how much of a difference, apart from a glossy new look, does a new operating system provide for your average user who just browses the web, sends emails, or, even just plays some games. by 2014 support for XP is to be dropped by Microsoft, a long time for some maybe. but if it still does all you need from an O.S., why bother upgrading to a more 'bloated' version? advanced networking (who at home needs better than you already have?), slight driver performance tweaks (emphasis on slight), OMFG! m.s. paint has realistic brushes!!1! etc. will you truely see benefit from?
☁ every cloud has a silver lining, it's called rain! ☁
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Player: heuji
STEAM_0:0:5401050

Re: Windows 8, too soon?

Postby Fooshi on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:00 am

It looks interesting. Though, I don't really see the need for a new OS right now. Anywhere, for that matter. Win 7 is the best OS I've ever tried and I will probably stick with it until it gets retired.
However, this article kind of made me reconsider myself.
It mostly looks like a bunch of gimmicky additions so far, with a tiny GUI change here and there. I mean, honestly, why would you add an "App store" to Windows? For gadgets, fair enough, but that's about the only thing I can come up with.

I'm always up for performance boosts! :D
Not sure if I can trust this image though. Since it's still in beta, a lot of features can still be missing, thus lessening the amount of processes and memory used.
Fooshi

Player: Fooshi
STEAM_0:0:17943779

Postby Security on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:33 am

heuji wrote:it's beginning to feel like Microsoft has started using a 'subscription' type method by releasing new platforms so frequently.

Actually a 2 year release cycle is normal, XP was an exception to the rule and people straight away have gotten used to that.

As for the GUI changes in Win 8... I hate ribbon (85% of MS there own employees never actually used it in Explorer during internal testing), I do not want Metro on my desktop, I have no interest in an app store, you have to mouse over the bottom left to get the Start button to appear and they introduced something called the Charm bar which where Metro is launched from. The worst of all, most of these things can't be (fully) turned off and thus is forced upon the user...

Like many before me said, I expect this one to crash and burn like Vista and MS might get serious again with Windows 9.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Shuriken on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:01 pm

so far so not getting windows 8. It's horrible :(

@sec - normal for them, I miss workbench.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby m0lineux on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:38 pm

I don't think we should write windows 8 off so soon lots of people said they wouldn't switch from xp but windows 7 has been by far the best operating system. Microsoft has some good ideas for windows 8 just going to be difficult getting users on board.
m0lineux
UKCS Admin

Player: Tickler
STEAM_0:1:2177441

Postby Ragonz on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:41 pm

ive been using windows 8 for the best part of the last 6 months and i can honestly say that when i first got it, i hated it. However now im used to the new "start menu" which is actually a long list of picture blocks representing apps, im used to it. Besides that there are quite a few tweaks to performace ive noticed that really do help. If they were to make it so that you could choose between having the 2 windows 8 metro style and the windows 7 classic style with start menu etc, i think everyone would be moving to windows 8
Asus Sabertooth X58 Motherboard | I7 -950 @ 5.2Ghz | Crucial 18GB 1600Mhz Ballistix memory | Saphire HD7970 | Coolermaster 700W PSU | Watercooled

Xfire - Ragonz
Steam Rush Evo
http://www.Pingperfect.com
Ragonz
Home Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: -=TSH=-Ragonz
STEAM_0:1:2842690

Postby Flawless on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:27 pm

Security wrote:Actually a 2 year release cycle is normal, XP was an exception to the rule and people straight away have gotten used to that.

XP should never of been current for that long, it makes me sad that it was.
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby Little_Devil on Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:06 am

Think I will wait for Win 9, given MS issues in the past. The first one they screw up on, then release the next version, which is just a fixed version of the previous release.
Vista -> Win 7
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Ger-h on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:38 am

(windows 98 perfect) windows me fail windows 2000 fail than windows xp worked perfect than vista fail than windows 7 perfect. it's all about the money with Microsoft since 2000.
Ger-h
Executive Admin
Maptesting Head
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Official Executive Teaboy™

Player: Ger
STEAM_0:1:35307921

Postby Flawless on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Ger-h wrote:it's all about the money with Microsoft since 2000.

Its always been about the money, don't kid yourself into thinking Microsoft ever really cared.
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby Ger-h on Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:24 pm

lol Flawless
Ger-h
Executive Admin
Maptesting Head
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Official Executive Teaboy™

Player: Ger
STEAM_0:1:35307921

Postby cerb on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Flawless wrote:

Its always been about the money, don't kid yourself into thinking Microsoft ever really cared.

tbh, its all about the money with 95% of the companies, in the world. thats what theyre for. making money. in some rare cases, some actually care about the customer- but thats just another way to make more money.
cerb
UKCS Sponsor

Player: cerb
STEAM_0:1:1080650

Postby Little_Devil on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:23 pm

Flawless wrote:

I agree and as cerb says some companies do actually care, making it part of their business policy to give good customer service, on the other hand Bill Gates has never cared since day 1, and MS carries on that tradition :P
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Security on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:17 am

Tbh. MS's customer service has positively surprised me on multiple occasions, for example when you activate a computer key through there phone service and you get disconnected before you finish the procedure someone from MS will call you back within 5 minutes to ask what went wrong and if they can help you. :)
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets