Unlocking Windows Refresh Rate

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Unlocking Windows Refresh Rate

Postby King_Kong on Mon May 16, 2005 7:52 pm

A couple of people have been MSNing me wanting to know how to unlock the Windows refresh rate so I'll do a quick guide.

***A word of warning: Setting your refresh rate higher than your monitor allows can damage it, so you do this your own risk!!!!

This is probably not a great idea on a TFT as most have pretty low refresh rates anyway, but it's up to you!! Just don't come crying to me if you fry your 500 quid TFT because it will be #carepolice tbh. :D

I'm going to use Powerstrip as the tool to unlock it, but there are plenty of other apps you can use.

Step 1: You are going to change the refresh rate for whatever resolution you play CS in (not your Windows resolution unless they are the same), so slide the 'slider' to that resolution. Mine would be 800 x 600.

Step 2: Unlock the padlock.

Step 3: Select custom timing.

Step 4: Be careful! You are now free to select the refresh rate you require IF hide all modes unsupported... is ticked, as this prevents you selecting one that will damage your monitor.

Step 5: You should now be able to achieve a fps_max equal to the refresh rate of your monitor even with V-Sync on. Check it with net_graph 1.

My settings:
Resolution 800 x 600
Refresh Rate 100 Hz
V-Sync on
fps_max 100 in config

King_Kong
Home Member

Postby La Chavvy on Mon May 16, 2005 7:58 pm

Why would anyone want to increase their fresh rates? What does this do to help the user? Mine works as it is, at around >50 Hz or somewhere. Could you please englighten me? Thanks!

La Chavvy
UKCS Sponsor

Player: La Chavvy
STEAM_0:1:1281267

Postby King_Kong on Mon May 16, 2005 8:00 pm

La Chavvy wrote:Why would anyone want to increase their fresh rates? What does this do to help the user? Mine works as it is, at around >50 Hz or somewhere. Could you please englighten me? Thanks!

1. > 60hz is more friendly on the eyes.
2. If you want to have V-sync on and get over 60 frames per second you have to.

King_Kong
Home Member

Postby LuckyNV on Mon May 16, 2005 8:31 pm

I use Refresh Force, simple 1 off jobby, able to lock refresh rates to particular resolutions
LuckyNV
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: LNV IS HE MAD?!
STEAM_0:1:4677295

Re: Unlocking Windows Refresh Rate

Postby FCUK! on Mon May 16, 2005 9:16 pm

King_Kong wrote:This is probably not a great idea on a TFT as most have pretty low refresh rates anyway, but it's up to you!! Just don't come crying to me if you fry your 500 quid TFT because it will be #carepolice tbh. :D
[/color]
T.T pay 4 it now

hehe jk just changed mine from 60 to 72 :D
player name: Whitepanda

FCUK!
UKCS Sponsor

Player: MrCookie
STEAM_0:0:3506920

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets