EVGA 570 HD Superclocked Problems

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

EVGA 570 HD Superclocked Problems

Postby PC Plum on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi,

I am looking for some advice with regards to my newly aquired EVGA 570 HD Superclocked. Other than crashing constantly in MW3 (which I think a firmware update will solve but I have not done this yet as I tried to RMA it) I get seriously bad electrical interference on my screen.

The reason I am asking for help is that Scan are saying there is no fault with the card and are now wanting to charge me 2 x courier fees and testing fees even to send me it back. I have had my monitor for about 6 years and it's been through iterally dozens of gfx cards (friends builds/solving problems for friends/my own upgrades etc) and I have never seen anything as bad as this. But it also means that I am limited to using a VGA connection.

Lets get the specs out of the way:

Intel 2500K
MSI H61M-E33
4GB Kinston Hyper X
OCZ ZS Series 750W

Previously I was running a MSI 460 Cyclone and the picture was rock solid. One of my favourite tricks was to put fps_max 0 into the console of CSS and watch it shoot up to about 1200fps on the main menu. When I plugged in my shiny new 570 and tried this (it was the first thing I did with it) I got white horizontal background lines shooting up and down my screen and a high pitched whine was coming from the card - a pretty audible high pitched whine at that.

Did some research on the net and found other people having this problem and solving it by using the DVI connection instead. Unfortunately, my monitor does not have a DVI input.

After using the card for a couple of weeks there was a definite pattern emerging. The interference is always there, it's only more noticable when the card it outputting high fps (over 100 and the interference is seriously bad), and when the card heats up and the fan begins to speed up. It's actually like the interference is in exact timing with the fan speed.

I have also noticed it when VSYNC is on, but only really when the card warms up.

I emailed Scan and the boy said "it doesn't sound like a fault". However, after speaking to a few highly qualified electricians at my work, and about 5 other people and 3 other monitors (via VGA) confirming that I was not seeing things I decided to RMA it anyway. Now we are at the stage where they have my card, are saying it's not faulty and I am adamant that it is.

The plot thickened, however, when I plugged in my old 1950XTX (I had sold my 460 and my new card is away...). Because it's an older card the fan pretty much hits full speed as soon as I load a game, and I can see some interference on screen from it. It's nowhere near as bad as the 570 and further confirms to me that the 570 should really have had higher quality control coming from the factory if it's spilling (far, far) more interference at 40% fan speed than a 6 year old card at full speed.

So the questions I would like to ask you are:

Anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? (I'm definitely not mad as one of mates actually laughed when he seen it and wondered why I hadn't sent it back already)

Anyone had bad RMA experiences with Scan?

Could my PSU be (part of) the problem i.e. is it worth my while spending some cash on a "higher quality" PSU?

Scan have offered (at a price) to do a retest. Is anyone qualified enough to tell me what type of test they should be doing (I can imagine there are devices that can test electronic equipment for interference in the output)?

Thanks a million :)
Have a nice day!
PC Plum
Home Member

Player: PC Plum
STEAM_0:1:8992686

Re: EVGA 570 HD Superclocked Problems

Postby Deathtaker27 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:36 pm

hey mate,

did a quick google and found this forum, maybe they can help more?

http://forums.bit-tech.net/forumdisplay.php?f=84

its an official scan forum so give it a shot?
Thanks Podge, speccy and Tao
Deathtaker27
Old Timer

Player: DT - RS
STEAM_0:1:22687060

Postby syco cocker on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:28 am

A bit off topic but I know more people who have had problems with scan RMA than have had problems fixed by them, I avoid that company like the plague.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad
not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
syco cocker
Senior Admin

Player: syco cocker
STEAM_0:0:11836468

Postby TheKrumpet on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:08 pm

PC Plum wrote:Previously I was running a MSI 460 Cyclone and the picture was rock solid. One of my favourite tricks was to put fps_max 0 into the console of CSS and watch it shoot up to about 1200fps on the main menu. When I plugged in my shiny new 570 and tried this (it was the first thing I did with it) I got white horizontal background lines shooting up and down my screen and a high pitched whine was coming from the card - a pretty audible high pitched whine at that.

That high-pitched whine is probably due to the amount of FPS it is outputting (see here). It happens with certain cards and honestly unless you have a 1200Hz monitor (Which doesn't exist. 120Hz is probably the highest you're getting on a consumer monitor) 1200FPS is pointless as your monitor can't output that.

PC Plum wrote:After using the card for a couple of weeks there was a definite pattern emerging. The interference is always there, it's only more noticable when the card it outputting high fps (over 100 and the interference is seriously bad), and when the card heats up and the fan begins to speed up. It's actually like the interference is in exact timing with the fan speed.

I have also noticed it when VSYNC is on, but only really when the card warms up.

Overheating can cause all sorts of artefacts on the output. Can you post GPU temps under load?

PC Plum wrote:The plot thickened, however, when I plugged in my old 1950XTX (I had sold my 460 and my new card is away...). Because it's an older card the fan pretty much hits full speed as soon as I load a game, and I can see some interference on screen from it. It's nowhere near as bad as the 570 and further confirms to me that the 570 should really have had higher quality control coming from the factory if it's spilling (far, far) more interference at 40% fan speed than a 6 year old card at full speed.

So the questions I would like to ask you are:

Anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? (I'm definitely not mad as one of mates actually laughed when he seen it and wondered why I hadn't sent it back already)

Anyone had bad RMA experiences with Scan?

Could my PSU be (part of) the problem i.e. is it worth my while spending some cash on a "higher quality" PSU?

Scan have offered (at a price) to do a retest. Is anyone qualified enough to tell me what type of test they should be doing (I can imagine there are devices that can test electronic equipment for interference in the output)?

Thanks a million :)

If the interference is still present on an older card then the PSU could be at fault. It could possibly be causing your interference. What is the PSU you're currently using? Manufacturer, model and output would be useful to know.

Just FYI: The fact that the older card isn't causing the same amount of interference also points the the PSU. The peak power draw of the 1950 is going to be much less than the peak power draw of the 570, which could explain the fact it suffers less interference even at full load.

DISCLAIMER: I'm only a tech enthusiast, not an expert.
i7 920 @ 4GHz / ASUS P6TD X58 / 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 / Gainward Phantom GTX570 / Corsair HX650W
Titan Fenrir / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB / Cooler Master HAF 922 / Dell U2412M / HP w2007v
TheKrumpet
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Krumpet @ i49 BS-D4
STEAM_0:0:32223044

Postby PC Plum on Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:01 pm

Thanks for the responses.

TBH I just feel like a bit of a stick, drawn in by Scan's heavy advertising and low prices. This is the second item I have bought from them, the second time I've had bother and the second time they have been less than useless. After the initial test (of my 570) there has been no communication initiated by them, simply an (automated) email to inform me that my card is not faulty. I don't get paid until tomorrow so I couldn't have had it posted back til then anyway, I shall look forward giving whichever poor customer advisor answers the phone to me tomorrow some verbal. The tech who tested it the first time has basically taken the hump at me questioning his testing techniques and setup and decided to ignore me.

I was also drawn in by EVGA's "rep", thinking I was safe in the hands of a major manufacturer. First and last EVGA card that's for sure.

The high pitched whine and the electrical noise on screen is caused by EVGA using cheap crap electronics in the VGA output and subsequent low grade quality control. There are problems all over the net with this card, and I now realise why it was so cheap for a few weeks - I mean who, apart from me, is still restricted to using VGA? I like my monitor and I like...

Tonnes of fps! Which brings me on to the 1200fps thing. This only happens in the main menu, its drops to about 500 ( :)) ) in game, and about 250 on a full UKCS 2. I know my monitor can't display all the frames, but I can feel it in the responsiveness of the game. I tired VSYNC in CSS and the game felt terrible, like I was playing in slow motion. Furthermore, I have been able to hit 1000fps on the main menu for about 4 years using various PC parts (PSUs/GFX cards/chips) but I have always used this monitor and I have never experienced interference to this extent, or any whining. It really does make you want to switch the game off, you can't "play through it" :(

Incidentally, my 460 used to do similar frame rates in CSS using the exact same hardware and I never had any problems regarding screen tearing or screen noise. Similarly, although I can see some noise from my 1950XTX it runs at 150-300 fps in CSS and there is no tearing there either.

Overheating - I don't have a record of specific temps but because the card made MW3 crash constantly I tried many things (underclocking the card, setting the fan manually, different drivers), and one of the crashes of MW3 that didn't require a hard reset let me see the card was only about 60 degrees. And if Scan are to be believed, my card "ran for two hours dual screen at full running temps"...

My PSU - It's a OCZ ZS Series 750W, which is the "budget" OCZ range. I have put it through the OCCT PSU test and it passed with flying colours. The only reason I think it may be something to do with my PSU is that someone on the net had the exact same issue as me, sent back his PSU thinking it was that and got a higher quality one. While this guy's interference was helped by a higher quality PSU it was still there, which is why he knew it was the card. Apparently Scan tested my card with a 500W Cooler Master Silent Pro, although I will probably try a mains conditioning multi adaptor before trying a new PSU.

I had a conversation with an electrician at my work about this. It seems perfectly straightforward to him. Everything causes interference (or "frequencies" as he called them) and dumps it into the mains (especially fans - more specifically the motors of fans), so you build in filtering/regulation to components to combat it. Or wire up a clean earth mains supply, which is what I think Scan has (who would build a PC components testing lab and not wire it up with clean power??). So this interference has to be self regulated or filtered out. I am on a bog standard UK mains electricity supply, not a custom clean ring. The crap my 570 is producing, because EVGA went for 0.01p capacitors instead of 0.1p, capacitors has nowhere to go so it ends up on my screen. My PSU (given it's, erm, budget nature) may also have poorly regulated components and the two working together are creating a problem greater than the sum of thier parts, so to speak.

This would also fall in line with what you say about power draw. More power coming from the PSU + 570 creating loads of its own noise = Plum's screen looks like a Spectrum 128K loading a game...

Again, thanks for the responses guys. I pretty much knew what was up with the card, I was just looking for some hard ammunition to battle Scan with and/or a solution to my problem if anyone has solved something like this before.
Have a nice day!
PC Plum
Home Member

Postby Ragonz on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:22 pm

Ive had tonnes of problems with scan, best bet for you see if you can argue your way into a refund and buy an asus brand gfx card never had any issues with asus products, oh and buy it from ebuyer
Asus Sabertooth X58 Motherboard | I7 -950 @ 5.2Ghz | Crucial 18GB 1600Mhz Ballistix memory | Saphire HD7970 | Coolermaster 700W PSU | Watercooled

Xfire - Ragonz
Steam Rush Evo
http://www.Pingperfect.com
Ragonz
Home Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: -=TSH=-Ragonz
STEAM_0:1:2842690

Postby PC Plum on Thu May 03, 2012 11:01 pm

Well humble pie time for Plum.

It was not the card, it was my motherboard.

I tried it with a different PSU and it still did it (although the high pitched whine stopped). So I stuck it in my mates pc and it worked perfect. Then I built a Core 2 system out of old bits and it worked perfect in that too, using my monitor and old PSU.

Plugged it back in to H61 board and it came back. Updated BIOS and installed chipset drivers. Messed with BIOS onboard gfx settings and it always did it. When I had onboard enabled and my monitor connected to it (but with the 570 still in the slot with no drivers going so the fan was whizzing default speed) even the desktop was bouncing all over the place.

It is also a power issue. The Krumpet was correct I believe as it was definitely worse when the fan sped up. And I looked up power usage, it's basically 460 least power, add 100W for 1950XTX, then add another 100W for the 570, and the intensity of interference is concurrent with the power usage.

Anyway it is solved and I am delighted. Maybe should have tried more options before wasting £30 on couriers :(

The card is a beast :)

Sorry EVGA!

Sorry Scan!!!
Have a nice day!
PC Plum
Home Member

Postby PC Plum on Mon May 21, 2012 11:00 am

I'm not trying to bump the page I'm just mega cheesed off.

My original diagnosis was correct. Cheap crap electronics in the VGA output of the EVGA 570 Superclocked HD. I have purchased a new motherboard, a new psu and tried a multitude of other components - it's always there. I have managed to reduce it to almost negligable amounts, but you know when something starts to annoy you and you can't get it out of your head...

I was always going to upgrade my PSU and motherboard anyway, I've just done it sooner rather than later. You might be wondering why I didn't just buy a DVI HD monitor (the money I have spent on couriers and new components could have bought me a 23" Dell Ultrasharp...) so I shall explain why. I love my monitor, it's proportions are perfect for my desk/room and it actually has a real nice picture. I also like performance e.g. when I play BF3 on "High" settings at 1280x1024, I get 80-100fps. When I played on High settings on my mate's 1920x1080 it kicked out 45-50fps. This would annoy me to the point where I was dropping gfx settings, you really need at least 60fps in fps games.

When I was messing with my new stuff I had my ear to the machine to find out which fans were making which noise. This is when I heard the high pitched whine that I though had gone. It had been drastically reduced but the 570 still does it when pitting out high fps in CSS. The lines on my screen are in exact timing with the screaming (the whining comes and goes).

Conclusion: EVGA really want to use higher quality components on their gfx cards. The has pissed me off no end cause

1. I can't enjoy playing games on my machine cause this is just bugging my brain to bits now

2. It's been back to Scan, I exaplined in great detail what the problem was and they must have seen the lines. Cowboys.

Anyway it's not all doom and gloom. As a reward for listening to my ranting to the end, I'm going to tell you how to stop your 570 crashing during MW3.

Install .Net Framework 4 people!

Your card is overheating. Cue the coughs, splutters, tirades "but my card is only 60 degrees!". That is exactly the problem, for some reason your card is not venting the heat it is producing while playing MW3. I bet it gets hot with any other game that it doesn't crash with? Now install .Net 4 (standalone installer available from Microsoft downloads) and feel the heat baby! Literally, you will feel the heat after 10 mins of play. Heat is good, now you know it is working correctly and won't BSOD, or similar event (I was getting green screens).

And use the newest drivers, they make a 570 run MW3 like a wet dream.
Have a nice day!
PC Plum
Home Member

Postby TheKrumpet on Fri May 25, 2012 9:51 am

PC Plum wrote:Anyway it's not all doom and gloom. As a reward for listening to my ranting to the end, I'm going to tell you how to stop your 570 crashing during MW3.

Install .Net Framework 4 people!

I... what? .NET is a runtime environment that MW3 doesn't use any of, considering it'll be written in C++. .NET provides managed execution, which is really good for basically any applications except performance critical ones.

I hate to play the cynic but I can't even slightly envisage a scenario in which .NET 4 will boost the performance of MW3. I'd imagine it's the drivers that are making the difference.
i7 920 @ 4GHz / ASUS P6TD X58 / 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 / Gainward Phantom GTX570 / Corsair HX650W
Titan Fenrir / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB / Cooler Master HAF 922 / Dell U2412M / HP w2007v
TheKrumpet
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Krumpet @ i49 BS-D4
STEAM_0:0:32223044

Postby PC Plum on Fri May 25, 2012 4:48 pm

It is the drivers that are making the performance boost.

Many people with various 570 cards (particularly the EVGA 570 HD Superclocked, as I see on the EVGA forums and Newegg reviews for the card) have issues with MW3 i.e. they BSOD in MW3 and only MW3 (or Skyrim but I don't play that). One of the solutions is to use older drivers (275.??). I was advocating the use of the newest drivers (296.10) because, although they cause more crashing than the older ones, they provide a significant image quality and performance boost over older drivers. In MW3 anyway, and in my opinion.

The .Net 4 install simply stops the 570 BSOD in MW3.

This is what I meant. Sorry if my ramblings are not too clear. Although I doubt that I could make "And use the newest drivers, they make MW3 run like a wet dream" any more clear.

And as far as my problem with the lines, I contacted EVGA. They are pretty easy about swapping the card as long as I pay to post it to them (Germany). They were so easy about it in fact that I am sure it is a known issue with the 570 HD Superclocked, and the boy assured me they would send a different model.
Have a nice day!
PC Plum
Home Member

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets