Windows 7 Home Premium and SSD Questions

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Windows 7 Home Premium and SSD Questions

Postby MittinsKittens on Wed May 30, 2012 9:50 am

Hey people. I'm come to a bit of a pickle and I wondered if you guys could help me by helping me answer a couple questions.

My brother has gotten himself a new pc which has 8gb of Ram. After him alerting to me that his pc was only using 3.25gb RAM and some quick googling, I found out it was because he was using MY copy of Windows 7 32 bit Home Premium OEM and that 32bit systems can't detect use more then 3.25gb of ram.
This also alerted me to the fact that my pc wasn't using ALL of the ram I got in my pc too.

So this brings me to my question for the OEM question. If I/my brother buys a 64bit Windows 7 Home premium key/CD, will I be able to use my 32bit code to install the 64bit OS onto my pc? Or am I going to have to buy 2 new Product keys? One for me and One for my brother....

And as for an SSD. I've been hearing more and more great things about them and I've finally gotten to the point where I'm going to want one as well.
The problem is, I don't really know what are good SSD drives and I don't know how it would go about interacting with the 1tb hard-drive I've already got in there.
Like, Would I be able to delete the Windows 7 Partition off my Hard-Drive but keep the rest of the data on the drive and install the OS on the SSD? And if I can, Is it still going to be a problem if keep my data from the 32bit OS if I can upgrade to a 64bit OS?
And, as for actually buying one. Is this one any good?. If not, can you suggest one while trying to keep it around the £60-£90 range?

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to read this and possibly try and help me :3
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Re: Windows 7 Home Premium and SSD Questions

Postby Ger-h on Wed May 30, 2012 9:56 am

Yes you can use the 32 key code for the windows 64. my brother did the same for me. i had windows 32 bit key it worked on his 64 bit cd.

you don't have to go out and buy 2 windows keys
Ger-h
Executive Admin
Maptesting Head
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Official Executive Teaboy™

Player: Ger
STEAM_0:1:35307921

Postby MittinsKittens on Wed May 30, 2012 9:58 am

Does it matter that it's a OEM (Original equipment manufacturer) version of the OS though? I brought it went to build my pc and didn't really think about 32bit/64bit. In fact, I think people on here told me to go 64bit but I just thought it be simpler to go 32 xD
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Ger-h on Wed May 30, 2012 10:18 am

Not 100% sure.but according to windows them self's it' cannot be transferred from another pc.their could be a away around this but not sure :scratch:
Ger-h
Executive Admin
Maptesting Head
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Official Executive Teaboy™

Player: Ger
STEAM_0:1:35307921

Postby ApacheFlame on Wed May 30, 2012 10:48 am

I have an OCZ vertex II which is very nice.

I am not sure how long ago you built your PC, but just be careful as that card is SATA III. Sata III only started becoming common on motherboards in the last 12-18 months
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby NightStalker on Wed May 30, 2012 11:17 am

Ger-h wrote:Not 100% sure.but according to windows them self's it' cannot be transferred from another pc.their could be a away around this but not sure :scratch:

You just need a part of the original computer to get around this, if you don't do this you're technically braking MS's EULA OEM rules.

The key for the OEM version will not work on a retail disc version, you would need the x64 oem disc for your's to work correctly. If you was to purchase a retail version you would need 2 keys as well.
NightStalker
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: NightStalker
STEAM_0:0:8782934

Postby Decoy^ on Wed May 30, 2012 1:37 pm

You can use any Windows 7 64-bit install media to install it on your computer with the key you have. What media you use and where you get it from isn't really important, and Microsoft doesn't care about that, as long as you have a valid key for the Windows 7 edition in question.
OEM licenses can be kept as long as it's the same computer. In Microsoft's own material, they define that as a computer with the same motherboard. Or if the motherboard is defective, that it has been replaced with the same or a similar model. Apart from that, any part can be swapped and upgraded.
Using the same OEM license for both your and your brother's computer is not legal however, just to point that out. An OEM license should be bought with the PC, and ideally be preinstalled on it when you buy it. Some legal peeps over at Microsoft even spoke up against home builders using OEM licenses at one point, but that was as far as I know never confirmed, so it should be fine.

As for slotting in an SSD, I'd recommend backing up your data first. Then formatting your old drive, installing the new SSD alongside and installing Windows 7 64-bit on it cleanly. Then just grab your old data from the backup. You can get away with just slotting in the SSD and reinstalling Windows, but it's not something I would recommend. And I'd suggest a backup if you want to try that anyway.

Also, SATA III (6 Gb/s) is backwards compatible with at least SATA II (3 Gb/s), so you shouldn't worry too much about that when looking for an SSD.
There is an OCZ Agility 3 in the computer I am currently typing this in, and I'm happy with it. Plenty of good in-depth reviews online if you care for the details though.
In Soviet Russia, decoy shoots you!

Decoy^

Player: Timberwolf
STEAM_0:0:1496730

Postby ApacheFlame on Wed May 30, 2012 2:19 pm

My point was that if there are cheaper SATAII drives out there and your mobo doesn't support sata III you might aswell save a dollar or get a bigger drive?

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby MittinsKittens on Wed May 30, 2012 3:39 pm

NightStalker wrote:You just need a part of the original computer to get around this, if you don't do this you're technically braking MS's EULA OEM rules.
The key for the OEM version will not work on a retail disc version, you would need the x64 oem disc for your's to work correctly. If you was to purchase a retail version you would need 2 keys as well.

I've not changed any bits since getting the pc, so that shouldn't be a problem. Am planning new GPU's in the future but still that isn't a problem :)
I'm planning to buy a 64bit OEM key for my Brother so that we got a 64bit CD in the house. Just was worried that I wouldn't be able to use it with my 32bit key.

Decoy^ wrote:Using the same OEM license for both your and your brother's computer is not legal however, just to point that out.

I completely understand that and gave my brother a little bollocking about that. In my Brothers defence, He didn't understand that the key I got is only for MY pc. So, His intents are not malicious and mine aren't either. This can be proven by the fact that I'm going through the effort to buy a new key (out of my money until he can pay me back. £300 is a massive drop for a 15~ year with no job and like £10 a week pocket money). Shall get a 64bit OEM CD/Key on friday when I get paid :)

So, MASSIVE thank you to everyone who helped me on the OEM question <3~

Now, about getting an SSD.
This the motherboard I got! Might help you guys help me. Does anyone know any decent SSD's that I can buy for around the £80 mark?
Tried looking to see if supported Sata III but with my nooby eyes I couldn't see anything. So yeah... Please help with this :<
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby ApacheFlame on Wed May 30, 2012 3:52 pm

That is a SATAII motherboard. (III is 6Gb/s, II is 3Gb/s). As someone said it should be backwards compatible (wiki link), but you might save yourself a few pence by getting a SATAII SSD.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby MittinsKittens on Wed May 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Ok. Thank you Apache. Do you have any recommendations on what a good SSD drive would be for me on ebuyer since I'm completely clueless :<
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Decoy^ on Wed May 30, 2012 5:52 pm

There is the OCZ Octane 128GiB model: http://www.ebuyer.com/338555-ocz-128gb- ... 5sat2-128g
It's a bit weaker than some on writes, but very good on reads, even though it's a low capacity model. If you have no expectations of ever using the disk with another motherboard, Apache's point about transfer speeds is very valid, and this drive would be one good choice.

If you spend 5 pounds more, you can get the OCZ Vertex 2E: http://www.ebuyer.com/225415-ocz-60gb-v ... 2-2vtxe60g
It's actually a slightly older drive than the Octane if I'm not mistaken, but is rated and tested for a higher write speed. Write speed isn't something I'd worry too much about for a desktop/gaming system, but the price difference is fairly small right now, so it could be worth considering.

All in all, you can't really go very wrong. Most SSDs are good just by nature of being SSDs. These are just a couple of suggestions. If you want more than 120GiB or so, that often gives higher performance, but also a higher price. And again, as Apache said, with your SATA II chipset you won't really be able to utilize more speed than what the 120 GiB drives give anyway.

With SSDs, the devil is in the details, but you'd be hard pressed to notice them. Hope this helps.
In Soviet Russia, decoy shoots you!

Decoy^

Player: Timberwolf
STEAM_0:0:1496730

Postby Deathtaker27 on Thu May 31, 2012 7:34 am

Decoy^ wrote:You can use any Windows 7 64-bit install media to install it on your computer with the key you have. What media you use and where you get it from isn't really important, and Microsoft doesn't care about that, as long as you have a valid key for the Windows 7 edition in question.
OEM licenses can be kept as long as it's the same computer. In Microsoft's own material, they define that as a computer with the same motherboard. Or if the motherboard is defective, that it has been replaced with the same or a similar model. Apart from that, any part can be swapped and upgraded.

While normally correct, you should watch out on the windows media as the 3 main versions have different licensing servers. I know this as if I enter a retail or Oem license on a VL media install it will fail, So I would recomend downloading the Windows 7 media and trying a re-install (downloading the media is legal, as you need a license to install it)

Try the ISO's here: http://jacethetrace.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... links.html if these don't work try some googling or see if you can borrow a 64-bit OEM dvd off a friend?
Thanks Podge, speccy and Tao
Deathtaker27
Old Timer

Player: DT - RS
STEAM_0:1:22687060

Postby Sir Bob Geldof on Thu May 31, 2012 12:34 pm

My motherboard didn't support sata 3 so I got a sata 3 controller which is a pci card for about 20 euros and that gives me the full disc transfer on my ssd so if you want try that if you want to get a sata 3 ssd.
Sir Bob Geldof
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Geldof Section 9
STEAM_0:0:13484122

Postby MittinsKittens on Thu May 31, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks guys.
Sir Bob. I might just have to do that. Especially since it's looking like the Sata 2's are more expensive then the sata's 3's. So I could use the money I save on the drive and put it towards a Sata Controller :)
Does anyone know if there is anything I need to watch for if I do this? and is there a reason why some of the controllers are £30 and some are £17 (guess its branding)

And does anything think all this would be ok?
SSD Card and Controller + 3.5" bracket + 2 Sata-3 Cables

Thank you was again for taking your time out to help me.
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Sir Bob Geldof on Thu May 31, 2012 11:18 pm

Sounds about right mittens that how my setup is in my computer , as for price its probably branding and warranty differences because my controller is some random brand but its doing its job well without a hitch.
Sir Bob Geldof
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Geldof Section 9
STEAM_0:0:13484122

Postby nevvy on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:38 pm

this thread is proving useful for me too thanks mittens!

I'm in need of a new HD. Been running windows off an old 160GB HD for ages now and i'm due a windows reinstall so it seems like the ideal time to upgrade. My backup drive has also died, so i'm after a conventional HD too.

Standing on the point since beta Retired pointstander
nevvy
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Nevvy
STEAM_0:0:5372127

Postby MittinsKittens on Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:44 pm

Thank you for all the help people :)
Got this ordered now and it should get to me within "5 working days". Here comes the hassle of now hoping I can put it all in without knocking out me pc in some fanciful fireworks and to hoping that the Windows 7 64bit Disk I downloaded works :)
Edit:- I would request a close on this, But it looks like Nevvy might need some help :o?
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Flare on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:02 pm

I am also going to hijack this thread as well ...

I got an 120 gig SSD ( OCZ Agility 3 ) recently , I was thinking about re-installing Win7 on it but got to thinking that wouldnt Steam and games benefit more from the access speed than the OS.
I am not too bothered the OS takes 30 - 40 secs to boot up, it responds fine after booting up and it stays on for the majority of the day.... now my Steam games has some games that take a while to load up ( Shogun 2 is the worst , Civ V isnt much better either ), and I could move Diablo III onto it , or even give GTA IV a go again.

Would my system benefit better with the OS on the SSD , or would I gain more benefit having my big games on it.
Is it possible to delegate HDD's for Steam games to install to , or will it always install in the Steam HDD ?
Is it possible to store Steam games on one HDD and copy them to the Steam folder when you want to play that game ?
Is it better to use the backup feature Steam has to store games, and does it store them on a different HDD ?

I guess I can say I bought the SSD before even having a real use for it, and so it sits empty and waiting in my machine...ready but nowt to do yet :P
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Deathtaker27 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:19 pm

With windows 7 there is a way of creating a mount point so certian folders appear as if on the hdd to the program when they are actually on the SSD, however I cannot remember how you do this.
Thanks Podge, speccy and Tao
Deathtaker27
Old Timer

Player: DT - RS
STEAM_0:1:22687060

Next

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets