Windows 7 Home Premium and SSD Questions

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Re: Windows 7 Home Premium and SSD Questions

Postby MittinsKittens on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:20 pm

Just thought I post an little update.
My crap finally came today. Spent the last 1-2 hours downloading a Windows 7 64bit OS ISO (Which you can legally do, Don't panic), installing my SDD, putting windows on it and then getting my pc sorted.

Two Words for boot times.

HOLY FUCK.

Why did no-one tell me about these boot times. If I knew it was going to be like this I would of done it long ago...
Can't wait to see what it does for my FPS on games now... Should be epic.

If anyone is looking at this thread and wondering if they should go for it or not. You should, because if you don't, you're officially an idiot.

Finally, Thank you all for the help. I knew I could rely on all you guys. *hug* <3
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby Shuriken on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Boot time is about all they're consistently awesome at lol. It won't touch your FPS at all
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Flare on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:51 am

That was the reason I decided to put my Steam and a few of my longer loading time games on the SSD, I simply saved the Common folder on one of the bigger slower drives, installed Steam on the SSD and copy the folder of the game I want to 'install' into the SSD installation of Steam from the copy of the Common folder... that way I dont have the download and it 'installs' in a few seconds - to a minute for huge games.

... got to be honest though, I have not seen any real significant changes to the load times... Shogun 2 still takes an eternity to load up, and the other games were not exactly slow to begin with so its hard to notice the improvement.

So far not too impressed with SSD technology... It is quiet and doesnt generate much heat though , and that is good.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby nevvy on Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:24 pm

MittinsKittens wrote:HOLY FUCK.

I got an OCZ vertex 3. i agree with mittens. just installing windows updates... It's as if my pc has read my mind and pre loaded stuff before i click :cheers:

Standing on the point since beta Retired pointstander
nevvy
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Nevvy
STEAM_0:0:5372127

Postby Decoy^ on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:55 pm

The slower your old harddrive is, the more of a difference you will notice. Mechanical 2,5" laptop drives are usually 5400 rpm, and only rarely 7200 rpm. So laptops are benefiting quite a lot from the recent influx of SSD technology. My old ThinkPad with Fedora on cut it's loading times by a couple of minutes just by putting an SSD in it.

Anyone who has some sysadmin knowledge knows how important disk IO is for performance, but the average user doesn't even know what that means. A few years ago, if someone asked for advice on what to do to "generally improve performance" on their computer, my answer would have been RAM if their computer was swapping at all during heavy use. Nowadays, it's always "get an SSD".
SSD -> RAM -> CPU/GPU (depending on usage), is my current rule of thumb for bumping up the performance of older rigs.

But like Shuriken said, it won't do anything for your FPS. That's the GPU's department. :wink:
In Soviet Russia, decoy shoots you!

Decoy^

Player: Timberwolf
STEAM_0:0:1496730

Postby MittinsKittens on Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:20 pm

God fucking damn it. It looks like my controller just died :/
Going to need to try and get a replacement for it and try and use my sata-2 motherboard slots for a while until the replacement comes...
The more annoying thing is, my fps has tanked which I'm going to put down to my SSD losing that sata 3 slot and having to use a sata 2. Is this right of me? Or could it be something else :/

Edit:- Found the source of the problem. The GPU fan wasn't spinning and the card was overheating because I THINK some wires got trapped. That wasn't smart. Hopefully it should be fine now. Still annoyed at the controller though...
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Deathtaker27 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:43 am

If this is a B1 motherboard of the 1155 socket it is a well known problem that intel has admitted
Thanks Podge, speccy and Tao
Deathtaker27
Old Timer

Player: DT27
STEAM_0:1:22687060

Postby MittinsKittens on Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:54 pm

Nah. It's an AMD motherboard. It's not the slots because I checked my soundcard on both of them and it's not the SSD/HD either because they're both currently working. So it has to be the controller :(
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby nevvy on Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:17 pm

I've returned from holiday and my SSD has died :( I'm hoping that the ebuyer return policy is simple and pain free (I very much doubt this will be the case!)

This is the first time that i new(ish) but of PC kit has died on me, ever. I've had the odd old HD break down but that's it. Bum.

nevvy
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Flawless on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:44 am

They'll just give you a list of generic questions to answer, and most likely issue a RMA, then you'll get a replacement once they receive it and test it.
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby syco cocker on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:45 pm

Ebuyer have always been spot on for returns with me.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad
not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
syco cocker
Senior Admin

Player: syco cocker
STEAM_0:0:11836468

Postby nevvy on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:46 pm

it's not so bad because i didnt get round to reformatting my old hard drive so i have a fully working computer :cheers:

It's just a bit slow and 3 months behind :scratch:

nevvy
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Ragonz on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:14 pm

With ebuyer make sure you explain excactly what the problem is when it happened, what you were doing at the time who was in the room with you and what your neighbours were doing at the time it failed.

I hate ebuyers returns department, they stuck me with a bad motherboard because when i explained to them that it was DOA and had bent CPU pins they sent it back saying that because i did not explain that there were other problems with the board too (Who gives a **** the cpu pins were bent) they were not going to replace it. I had to get the trading legality advice people involved to sort it

So no more ebuyer for me!
Asus Sabertooth X58 Motherboard | I7 -950 @ 5.2Ghz | Crucial 18GB 1600Mhz Ballistix memory | Saphire HD7970 | Coolermaster 700W PSU | Watercooled

Xfire - Ragonz
Steam Rush Evo
http://www.Pingperfect.com
Ragonz
Home Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: -=TSH=-Ragonz
STEAM_0:1:2842690

Previous

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets