'Downgrading' help

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

'Downgrading' help

Postby Useless² on Thu May 31, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi all first post in a while havent had the time, busy busy busy.

So to get to topic, since I'm moving around alot atm I'm wanting to 'downgrade' and what I mean by this is, sell my desktop and buy a laptop that I can still game on. But all the prices I can get is off shops such as CEX and the like, and we all know how much they knock you down.

So I was hoping some of you guys could take a look at the specs and give me a general figure that I can hopefully use for the classifieds in my local paper, and they are:

Case: Termaltake Cooler master
Processor: AMD Phenom Black Edition ~2.6ghz
Ram: Geil Black Dragon 2Gb
Video Card: IceQ4 HD4850 512Mb
HDD: Sata 1Tb
Drives: DVD, DVDRW, Floppy (lol)
Monitor: HP w1907v
Peripherals: Legitech 2.1 Speakers (not selling mouse because I'd use it with the laptop, not selling keyboard because its well used and grubby looking)

And the laptop Im hoping to get is this one, or maybe perhaps this one what do you think? Obviously if you know of some better cheaper ones let me know, but how would this one fare?

Thanks for your help and time
God gave me wind and waves...

...Everything else I can buy
Useless²
Home Member

Player: Useless²
STEAM_0:1:20542679

Re: 'Downgrading' help

Postby Shuriken on Thu May 31, 2012 3:29 pm

I built a similar machine about 5 years ago for ~£700. I imagine it's worth has dropped significantly over that time. The ram and gfx card are both pretty dated. Not sure on prices though as I don't sell machines, I build them to a budget lol. Could build your machine new for ~£400 if that helps? As for gaming laptops I'd just say DON'T! and then WHY?! and then DEAR GODS WHY?! and then I'd leave without giving any constructive feedback :D (no idea on laptops for gaming though, to me it's like trying to play games on a giant calculator lol)
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby heuji on Thu May 31, 2012 3:42 pm

as much as it hurts, second hand pc parts arent worth much. when you bought all those components at the time they might have been prime, but technology moves so fast, it now makes them not very desirable. this is where it hurts the custom builders a lot more than branded pcs as your average user will prefer the brand to a custom, and, those in the know want new or a total bargain. sometimes its almost better to sell/ebay components than as a whole. anything over 3 years old you might start to hit real problems moving on.
consider keeping it as a base server would be my advice, if you dont want to feel too insulted by offers :cry: it will also mean you don't have to hammer your laptop, as most don't like being too heavily gamed on, heat being the number one issue.
this is all from past experience when tech wasnt moving quite so fast. maybe someone will impart more current knowledge...
☁ every cloud has a silver lining, it's called rain! ☁
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Player: heuji
STEAM_0:0:5401050

Postby heuji on Thu May 31, 2012 3:48 pm

Shuriken wrote:Could build your machine new for ~£400 if that helps?

the problem with this is you could get lesser grade parts now that perform better and build a slightly better performing pc, although lesser grade, for a lot less :(
dont the new AMD A-Series processors have almost as good gfx built into the chip?
☁ every cloud has a silver lining, it's called rain! ☁
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Player: heuji
STEAM_0:0:5401050

Postby Shuriken on Thu May 31, 2012 6:35 pm

Yeah it's hard to judge but I was just giving the price for those exact parts brand new today, so selling it off used would be well below it. Not surprising it's insulting but they're not wrong for offering low prices.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets