left hand ( analog joypad ) + right hand ( mouse)

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

left hand ( analog joypad ) + right hand ( mouse)

Postby Ccpanther on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:13 pm

I experimented yesterday..(yeah .. I love my experiments ) with using a analog controller in my left hand (movement+jump+slow walk+ crouch) and the mouse in the right hand (aim+shot+reload+zoom+weapon switch) the results are very surprising. My aim improve allot...+- the lazy factor and beer :roll: .. the thing is, that is not a new idea..

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=35108

What I'm surprise about, is that no one have develop this farther and design a gaming pack, with a left hand wireless single analog grip + gaming mouse, with both ( mouse/controller) linked to the same port in the computer..If any of you guys have any experience in electronics.. you may want to give it a try....££££ :D . How hard can it be?, you already have wireless controllers ( xbox360 ), wireless mouse, wireless keyboard... something to think about :wink:
The Gentle or the Furious.
The Knight shield or the Warriors sword.
The Right and Wrong or the Wrong and Right.
The Open palm or the closed fist.
The Black or the White ?
Ccpanther

Player: Cpanther
STEAM_0:1:52146308

Re: left hand ( analog joypad ) + right hand ( mouse)

Postby MittinsKittens on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:21 pm

It's an interesting idea but it stems a couple questions/problems.

First of all, By going from a keyboard to a left hand analog is that you lose pretty hefty number of buttons. This isn't such a big deal on games like CoD/TF2 where you only really need Move, Jump, Crouch, weapon change and maybe a few feature buttons that each game requires but if you start going on the heftier games which have a BUCKET load of buttons (The best example I can think of atm is Arma2 where you have 3 different stances, leans, load of navigation aid buttons (Map, compass ect) to name a few things that you need on hand in that game)that you're going to find it basically impossible to find a way to have a joypad/mouse combo that could support all those buttons.

Also, there is the fact that most PC FPS shooters don't really acknowledge analog sticks by the fact you can't change your walk direction speed by adjusting how much you're pushing on the stick. You either walking in a set direction at a set speed or not :D

In all in all, I feel a keyboard and mouse are better, but I still feel that being able to make something like this would be pretty cool. Since not only you get something unique and different, you get to say you made that. Plus, the stuff/experience you get from making this would be able to help you with other projects/repair jobs. In fact, I might of actually talked myself into making one now... Bollocks...
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby Security on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:49 pm

It sounds interesting but reading as to how you are doing the aiming and shooting with a mouse I am wondering how it really is different from the standard keyboard, it isn't a real change if you press either WSAD or Up, Down, Left and right if you ask me (anything else is down to preference if you ask me).

As Mittens points out, you might actually lose functionality (AKA less buttons in range) when using a controller over the keyboard but it does depend on the game.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Ccpanther on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:30 pm

MittinsKittens wrote:It's an interesting idea but it stems a couple questions/problems.

First of all, By going from a keyboard to a left hand analog is that you lose pretty hefty number of buttons. This isn't such a big deal on games like CoD/TF2 where you only really need Move, Jump, Crouch, weapon change and maybe a few feature buttons that each game requires but if you start going on the heftier games which have a BUCKET load of buttons (The best example I can think of atm is Arma2 where you have 3 different stances, leans, load of navigation aid buttons (Map, compass ect) to name a few things that you need on hand in that game)that you're going to find it basically impossible to find a way to have a joypad/mouse combo that could support all those buttons.

Also, there is the fact that most PC FPS shooters don't really acknowledge analog sticks by the fact you can't change your walk direction speed by adjusting how much you're pushing on the stick. You either walking in a set direction at a set speed or not :D

In all in all, I feel a keyboard and mouse are better, but I still feel that being able to make something like this would be pretty cool. Since not only you get something unique and different, you get to say you made that. Plus, the stuff/experience you get from making this would be able to help you with other projects/repair jobs. In fact, I might of actually talked myself into making one now... Bollocks...

Who says you need to stop using the keyboard? and why?.... currently I use the keyboard as I normally do.. weapon keys, binds, and so on...I just replace movement ( forwards, backwards, left, Right , jump and crouch ) with the gamepad...you kids have no imagination :roll:
The Black or the White ?
Ccpanther

Postby Ccpanther on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:45 am

That is the gamepad I using...It have a nice grip and is very cheap, so I don't feel so bad about destroying it :twisted:
As you can see, is also plenty of keys in range with the mouse ..... and yes, I have nothing better to do right now.... so I wasting time editing pictures... :coffee:
The Black or the White ?
Ccpanther

Postby coldandtired on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:29 am

When I first switched from XBox 360 TF2 to the PC version, I tried using my PS3 pad (the left stick and left triggers) held in my left hand.

It worked fine but looked ridiculous.

Then I came across the best compromise - the Logitech G13.

Since then every PC game I've played has used that and I couldn't be happier!

Some people have modded theirs to replace the default hat switch with an XBox 360 thumb stick but I find the default good enough.
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Player: coldandtired
STEAM_0:0:27915503

Postby ApacheFlame on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:26 am

Razer do a version of the logitech gamepad too:

Razer Nostromo

I've always found razer kit to be a little on the pricey side, but AWESOME. I am using a razer orochi now (smaller than the mouse on my desktop so I use it 'on the go' and at work).
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby coldandtired on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:29 am

I looked into that one but the thumb thing is a D-pad rather than the G13's analog stick.

I'm also a sucker for things with LCD screens built in :)
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Player: coldandtired
STEAM_0:0:27915503

Postby Ccpanther on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:38 pm

WoW!! guys.. I'm not thinking about becoming a Pro :shock:

Just an affordable "simple" single analog grip will be nice....something that will cost as much as a normal dual analog control :wink:
The Black or the White ?
Ccpanther

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets