Computer not working, any ideas?

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Computer not working, any ideas?

Postby bort on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Lo gang,

Mrs. b's computer has given up the ghost. It made a couple of loud bangs and now when you switch it on, it boots up and looks like it is loading windows but then goes to a blank screen except for a badly rendered mouse that doesn't move and some random red pixels on the left hand side of the monitor. Nothing else happens after that and you have to pull the power cable out of the back to turn it off.

Any ideas what might have caused it? Power supply, graphics card, motherboard, hard drive?

It was a Compac Pressario and had an Nvidia 8600 in it.

Also, second question: The most important thing is the stuff on the hard drive, photos etc. Would I be able to take it out of her computer and plug it into mine to recover the data, even though I'm on XP and she had Vista basic on hers?

Cheers,

bort
bort
UKCS Sponsor

Player: bort
STEAM_0:1:4207256

Re: Computer not working, any ideas?

Postby Kaelan002 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:16 pm

In regards to the files:
Yes, you can do exactly that.
It doesn't matter that they are different versions of windows as they both use the same file system (ntfs)
The only problem you could have is if the drive uses the IDE interface (older) and your computer uses SATA (newer) or vice versa but you will be able to tell simply because the connectors are completely different (Ide: big row of pins, sata: short, thin plastic tab with copper strips)

EDIT: You could even boot her system and configuration on your computer using the drive and use it exactly like if it was her machine, just press f12/f6/f9/enter (it varies) during your bios start-up and select her drive to boot from.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby Alienware_M2 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Mrs. b's computer has given up the ghost. It made a couple of loud bangs and now when you switch it on, it boots up and looks like it is loading windows but then goes to a blank screen except for a badly rendered mouse that doesn't move and some random red pixels on the left hand side of the monitor. Nothing else happens after that and you have to pull the power cable out of the back to turn it off.

- Check the motherboard if everything is okay. (something damaged?) "If it's looks good",
- Try to replace another graphic card and monitor. (easy to replace for try) "If the problem still the same",
- Try to install Windows on another hard drive. "If the problem still the same"
- Try to replace another motherboard.

Let's see if this fixes the problem.

Also, second question: The most important thing is the stuff on the hard drive, photos etc. Would I be able to take it out of her computer and plug it into mine to recover the data, even though I'm on XP and she had Vista basic on hers?

No problem, plug it into your computer and you can copy all the photos etc. to your hard drive or external hard drive. (If the hard drive is not damaged. :| )
Alienware_M2

Player: Bacardi
STEAM_0:0:15117567

Postby syco cocker on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:15 am

If its got onboard graphics remove the GPU & plug into the board at least you can then rule out one thing, the bangs could well be PSU one or more of the lines might have failed.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad
not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
syco cocker
Senior Admin

Player: syco cocker
STEAM_0:0:11836468

Postby bort on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks so much for the replies. I have a go at some of your suggestions. Hopefully I can recover the data. Cheers!
bort
UKCS Sponsor

Postby bort on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:26 am

It was the graphics card. I took it out and it's working now. Thank god for that. It was an nvidia 8600 that came with my old pc so no real loss. At least it wasn't something more complicated. Thanks for the help!
bort
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Alienware_M2 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:26 am

:cheers:
Alienware_M2

Player: Bacardi
STEAM_0:0:15117567

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets