BSOD/New PC

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

BSOD/New PC

Postby Logic3 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:48 am

After many delays, debts and BSOD's; it's time for a new PC!

I know I had a previous post but prices/requirements have changed since then and new products have/are coming out.

I'm absolutely fine for a monitor and speaker system, so it's just the computer itself I need!

I have a budget of £1200 (can stretch a bit) and I mainly want the PC for gaming, however I don't want to go made with all this SLi stuff!

Basically, if it can cope with Battlefield 3 on FULL specs then i'll be a happy bunny!

I prefer Intel Processors and Nvidia graphics cards, but if there's better priced/specs then just suggest it!

If anyone could suggest components etc then that would be brilliant!

Many thanks,

Logic // James
Image --- Click to add me on Steam Friends!

Logic3
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Logic ☂- James
STEAM_0:1:13240398

Re: BSOD/New PC

Postby sNaKeBiTe on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:10 am

Since nobody else is responding, I'll try to help you a little.
I live in Germany, so I don't know what the prices are in UK, but they should be similar. £1200 = ~1500€. You can get a REALLY good pc for that kind of money.

So here is a rough sketch:
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H (124,86€)
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K (208,90€)
GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 680 Phantom (499,88€)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 DIMM Kit 16GB PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24 (86,90€)
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (198,85€)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda EcoGreen F4 2000GB (90,13€)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Macho (32,32€)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (109,89€)
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620 (64,16€)
------------------------- = 1415,89€ =~ £1110

+ maybe an optical drive (dvd burner / bluray burner)

That is only a rough sketch of the system. It really depends on what you want.
If you want to use Bitcoin or Eyfinity (3+ Monitor setup) then you want to go with an AMD GPU.
If you want to do 3D Vision or Folding@home, use Nvidia.
If you want to do Video rendering and stuff, I'd go with a 6-core CPU.
Is 2 TB enough space for you? Or too much? Do you have a backup solution? If not, I'd buy 2 or 3 harddrives and put them in RAID1 (2) or RAID5 (at least 3)
Do you use/plan on using an external harddrive? You should be fine with USB3 but if you really want the last bit of performance I'd go with a mainboard that has a thunderbolt port (You also need an external harddrive that supports thunderbolt).
How many programs do you have installed? 256GB SSD is pretty big. You could go with 128 and save 100€.
8 gigs of RAM are also enough. 16 is just for the future.
Do you want a soundcard? (I personally think the onboard sound (on most mainboards) is enough, but that is preference).
Do you want want to overlock? If not you don't have to buy the extra CPU cooler or a K-CPU.
Are you a silent freak? If not, you can go with another GPU design (non-Phantom), or even another case (This one is sound-dampening).
Do you like the plain design of the case, or do you want something with a window and lights? Then I'd also go for a modular PSU, since it looks a lot cleaner. You might also want to change the mainboard if you don't like the colour scheme.
The 680 is pretty expensive in my opinion. Personally I'd probably go with a 670. If you want bang for buck, buy a 7850, overclock it and buy a new card in 1 or 2 years.
If you want maximum silence, I'd replace the fans with silent fans (Noctuas are probalby the best). If you want to do overclocking I'd buy 1 or 2 extra fans or even go with watercooling (Not these ready to go sets like the Corsair Hydro Series, since they are barely better than a good air cooler). If you want to watercool the system you need to read up on that stuff on forums, because it is quite complicated. It is also not maintance free.

If you don't already have that, I'd spend a little less on the pc and buy some nice accessories like a mecanical keyboard, good mouse, good mousepad and headset.

Hope I could help you.

sNaKeBiTe

Player: sNaKeBiTe
STEAM_0:1:10928581

Re: BSOD/New PC

Postby Logic3 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks very much for the help!

After weighing all my options up etc, I have gone with the following items:

Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Socket 1155 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) P67 Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD - SATA-III - Read 525MB/s Write 500MB/s 85,000 IOPS
Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4 2TB Hard Drive SATA 5400RPM 32MB Cache - OEM
LiteOn iHAS124 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black with Nero Essentials
Antec 850W High Current Pro PSU
Antec 1100 Eleven Hundred Case
Antec Kuhler H2O 620 CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3X 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

I know 2700k's are over priced etc, but I thought "You only live once" and went for it! Thoughts anyone?
Image --- Click to add me on Steam Friends!

Logic3
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Logic ☂- James
STEAM_0:1:13240398

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets