Apple, Android or other

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Which Phones do you prefer?

Apple
29%
Android
50%
Blackberry
3%
other
18%

Total votes : 38

Re: Apple, Android or other

Postby KaTTa on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:48 pm

If your looking for build quality don't go with Samsung. Buy an HTC instead, I had an HTC Magic that lasted for 2 years of a lot of wear and tear. Sadly the magnetic field that you get from welding killed it. :(
KaTTa
Home Member

Player: KaTTa
STEAM_0:0:25459580

Postby Security on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:17 am

m0lineux wrote:I have only ever owned two smart phones, Iphone 3GS and iPhone 4S

Haha, the Orange SVP Classic was my first "smart phone". :P

ApacheFlame wrote:I had a 3GS and currently have a galaxy S2 running ICS. I must admit that I cant stand the S2. It feels cheap and plastic-y. I am pretty harsh on my phones as I am a bit clumsy and the S2 after a little over a year is looking definitely worse for wear. I find android clunky and it takes me forever to figure out how to do stuff on it (I am not a ludite, far from it as I am a programmer by profession). I will be upgrading to a 5 asap.

On the flip side I have an android tab and love it, but again the build quality lets it down. Little over a year old and the power cord has failed at the very least. Waiting to get a replacement/borrow one so I can rule out anything further. I also have a 2009 macbook pro which runs windows and OSX. Windows for work because I have to and OSX for me because I like it.

I would only ever get droid/iOS, but until samsung up their build quality and battery life I will be sticking with the fruity one from now on.

Tbh. I have never been impressed by the cheapish feel of the iPhone 4(S) and it looks like the 5 is of the same material but it isn't as bad as the plastic feel of some Android phones, something you wouldn't expect from a high end phone but I guess it is the choice of making it as light as possible.

As KaTTa said tho, HTC phones generally feel like they are better build then Samsung ones, but I never have been impressed with the One X comparing it to the S3... Spec wise it simply is not as good (especially the screen) and then there is the question which CPU you get in it as HTC has resorted to a last gen CPU in some batches to meet demand (and they announced there introducing another version of the One X soon).
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Shuriken on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:09 am

Definately android for me.

More features, better battery life and despite what you guys have said, better ability to withstand damage when compared with iPhones. Personally I really like the S3, it has enough weight to it to feel like you're still holding something (though I am huge) and if you give 2 shits about protecting it you'll have bought a cover for it which prevents the cosmetic damage. I've actually dropped mine flat onto my concrete living room floor without a cover and it's been fine though, unlike the wife's htc which literally popped apart on impact when she shoved it off the arm of the sofa.

It does have its downsides though, like Apache said it can be a bit of a pain to find things but that only seems to apply to people with any tech knowledge, my wife has found stuff faster than I can. I guess it's a logic thing given that she doesn't spend a lot of time on a computer. Actually that's the only thing I can think of that irks me about it.

What seals the deal for me though is that android phone storage is upgradeable and if you're using a lot of battery power you've got the option to carry a spare battery
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby EvolvedMonkey on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:16 am

Windows Phone. Amazingly underrated OS. Fanstastic and very very easy to use.
But I'm feeling good, And if you don't exist, you're still one illusion that I can't resist
EvolvedMonkey
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: EvolvedMonkey
STEAM_0:0:183417

Postby re# Skilgannon on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:00 pm

love my iphone but had to giggle at this

maybe be slightly NSFW depending on IT policies :)
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby nevvy on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:07 pm

EvolvedMonkey wrote:Windows Phone. Amazingly underrated OS. Fanstastic and very very easy to use.

I've got a nokia lumia 800 and i couldnt agree more. I do think a blackberry is a slightly better communications device though(not smartphone).

I'm too tight to pay apple tax (and have issues with iphones anway- glass screens?!) soI was going to go android, then i played with windows phone and it's so much cleaner, consistent and intuitive. I don't have a major problem with android, i just can't be bothered to have to change every setting and download custom roms to make it work how i want. WP7 just works.

There's some great deals on WP7 phones atm, but i'd wait a couple of weeks and look to see what WP8 has to offer before taking the plunge.

Standing on the point since beta Retired pointstander
nevvy
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Nevvy
STEAM_0:0:5372127

Postby m0lineux on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:32 pm

There was a Windows convention at my university some time back in March and they were showing off their products and I was really impressed with the Windows Phone and would be a smart phone I would consider.
m0lineux
UKCS Admin

Player: Tickler
STEAM_0:1:2177441

Postby Salva on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:43 am

Got a iPhone 4s as my own phone and the new galaxy as a work phone

Only just got the galaxy this week but from what I've used it in not a fan of it, used a htc before aswell also not a fan

Android phones seem over complex to me compared to the iPhone

Just something about the way all the connect stuff an apps are arranged and managed just seems messy to me
Salva
Always remember kids it's Unspecified's Salva's fault!
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Player: Salva
STEAM_0:1:492410

Postby Dauntless on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:07 am

After the hastle of a screaming child this morning because the new iOS6 removed YouTube from his iPad, I really dislike Apple.
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Previous

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets