[Help]Spec Upgrade

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

[Help]Spec Upgrade

Postby MittinsKittens on Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:49 am

Hey guys. It's me again, here, asking for help, again....

So, To cut a long story really short. I'm slowly falling behind with my PC and the current requirements to run games with my GPU finally completely falling out of the race to be able to run the current gen of games.
So, I was wondering can anyone point me towards some really good/awesome graphics cards with HDMI output (I'm going to guess this is now a standard for graphics cards but just in case...) for around the £100-200 range (Try stick to the lower end, but I'm willing to pay more if it means I can stay current for an extra couples months or so).
Another thing I would like, but not a massive deal is, Is it possible to try and send me towards AMD (and by the same token, ASUS) rather then nVidia. My reasons for this is two fold. I don't want to give up AMD for nvidia because I've never really tried their cards and I don't want to risk trying them because I'm afraid of a shitty expirence. My other reason is, I feel that AMD/ASUS do a better job supporting esports (especially DOTA2 which is my big thing at the moment) and I want to encourage them to carry on supporting it by buying their products :)

Specs:-
Mother Board
Graphics Card
2x2gb Ram sticks

Think they're the only things that matter if I stand correctly.

Just a side note. Would it be worth investing in some more/better ram to future proof myself?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you for helping me, again again.... :P
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Re: [Help]Spec Upgrade

Postby Deathtaker27 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:02 pm

I would increase the ram to 8gb simply beacuse its so cheap at this moment in time.

Graphics, I will look up when I'm back at home for you, but I would suggest the latest gen
Thanks Podge, speccy and Tao
Deathtaker27
Old Timer

Player: DT27
STEAM_0:1:22687060

Postby raptor2009 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:47 pm

In my opinion your better off getting the 7750 than the 5750 there is a marginal performance increase between the two card's. But if you are willing to spend that little bit extra the 7850 would be a good card.
raptor2009
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: RåptöЯ™
STEAM_0:0:9977687

Postby MittinsKittens on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Oh. That's the computer specs I got currently :)
I needed to put them in here so people know what I'm working with so they can advise me better :)

Thank you Death. Will look into some Corsair Ram. They look like some really good ram, and once again, they supported esports so I want to return the favour :)
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Enigma on Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:07 pm

8GB RAM is useless, most applications can allocate only 2GB RAM anyway.
Enigma
UKCS Sponsor

Player: nice dead server lmao
STEAM_0:1:29505170

Postby MittinsKittens on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Finally ordered my card yesterday. I went for the 7950 in the end since it sounded like it was a better deal then the 7850 :)
Hopefully it comes tomorrow so I can get the pain of trying to work out what is the best and safest way to change over a card over and done with x3
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets