PC Problem/ Company Problem

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

PC Problem/ Company Problem

Postby m0lineux on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 am

I know the titles a little vague but bear with me, the long and short of it is simple in January of this year i bought a custom build gaming PC for around £700 from a reputable online trader and for the best part of the year i have had no problems at all. However around 2 months ago i had a problem where my operating system just froze which required a reboot and my system would no longer load and had to rebuild my PC but this problem carried on occurring after several days of use (no gaming was done within this period just general Internet browsing). So within the space of 9 months it went from super machine to a heap of aluminum taking up space on my desk, i must add no modifications or overclocking has ever been done to this machine and the temperature has always been steady with a good air flow. My thoughts are that the company that sold me this machine have a duty to look at this machine and fix and hardware problems which may have occurred as when buying any electrical item you have a 12 month guarantee.

This is where problem number two arises, i have sent 5 emails and several phone calls to this company without reply which is frustrating for myself not being able to use the machine i paid so much for. This company is still actively trading as a friend recently purchased from them so they are regularly checking their emails for sales enquries but when it comes to anything problematic they seem to be brushing them aside. So whats my next step? any advice would be greatly appreciated as you can see its getting out of hand.
m0lineux
UKCS Admin

Player: Tickler
STEAM_0:1:2177441

Re: PC Problem/ Company Problem

Postby syco cocker on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:13 am

Well its under guarantee & will be covered buy the sale of goods act, I wouldn't mess about send them an email & tell them sort it or off to court, small claims are easy to file online & quite cheap if they fail to pay up you can then for I think its about £100 you can employ court sheriffs they can enter commercial places & are not good to have after you link to their site http://thesheriffsoffice.com/
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad
not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
syco cocker
Senior Admin

Player: syco cocker
STEAM_0:0:11836468

Postby m0lineux on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:18 am

I was thinking something along them lines, the frustrating thing is they are blatantly ignoring my emails to them and if i was sending them messages saying i want e new PC this is rubbish i could understand but this is not the case. I sent them an email outlining the problems which i have had and the affects but stated that i would send it to them (paying the delivery fees) along with my legitimate Windows 7 installation CD so they could see the problems for themselves and yet they are not interested in helping their customers once they have completed the transaction.
m0lineux
UKCS Admin

Postby syco cocker on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:34 am

I'm afraid thats why I always build my own its down to me then, as I said don't mess about don't be nice go for the throat :wink:
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad
not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
syco cocker
Senior Admin

Player: syco cocker
STEAM_0:0:11836468

Postby m0lineux on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:38 am

I wish i was the sort to be blunt just not my strong point, but 2/3 months of not being able to game my hands are shaking.
m0lineux
UKCS Admin

Postby MrsSekhmet on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:32 pm

Send them another email, tell them they have till 20 December to reply to you with a sollution, otherwise you are forced to take other actions. Also, i do not know if that is possible in England, send a letter and post it so they have to sign it when it arrives, that way you know they got it and you can, if it goes to court, have evidence that you send them mails and post. Keep a copy of everything. Just make sure you have a date in it..

I am so glamorous i piss glitter and sh*t stardust

My life is a constant struggle between being bored and being lazy.
MrsSekhmet
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sekh
STEAM_0:1:40186891

Postby coldandtired on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:23 pm

m0lineux wrote:I was thinking something along them lines, the frustrating thing is they are blatantly ignoring my emails to them and if i was sending them messages saying i want e new PC this is rubbish i could understand but this is not the case. I sent them an email outlining the problems which i have had and the affects but stated that i would send it to them (paying the delivery fees) along with my legitimate Windows 7 installation CD so they could see the problems for themselves and yet they are not interested in helping their customers once they have completed the transaction.

You have a two year guarantee under EU consumer rules, and the shop is responsible for paying (or reimbursing) any costs incurred returning faulty goods. You only have a limited window from the time you first noticed the fault though.

You may have an additional guarantee with the producer of the PC, but the first step should always be with the shop you have the contract with.
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Player: coldandtired
STEAM_0:0:27915503

Postby Security on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:50 pm

coldandtired wrote:You have a two year guarantee under EU consumer rules, and the shop is responsible for paying (or reimbursing) any costs incurred returning faulty goods. You only have a limited window from the time you first noticed the fault though.

This is true but I believe the UK has it's own adaptation of this rule, I would have to look up the specifics tho.

In this case tho since the machine is not even a year old the store has to fix it or give you your money back.
Before you take legal action you should send one of those letters they have to sign to accept and state a clear and reasonable time within you expect them to give an ample reply etc.
You might want to check if the UK consumer authority (I have no idea how it is called) has an example letter or could advise you on this matter. At least here in the Netherlands you have to be able to show you have put some real effort in contacting the company (a handful of emails and phone calls are often not enough) before taking legal action without the court questioning if you have done enough.

If the UK law is anything like the Dutch one then prepare for the fact that after 6 months you have to proof the failing of the machine is not your fault which may actually be difficult since you said you took the machine apart and if the company knows that they will just claim that is the cause.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Phoenicia on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:21 pm

That's always a problem with building your own computer.
Phoenicia

Player: Pho
STEAM_0:0:5180655

Postby m0lineux on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:14 pm

Well i was contacted today by the company in question only for them to state i am two days out of the warranty and they will not assist me in finding a solution to fix my pc, where do i go with this now?
m0lineux
UKCS Admin

Postby ApacheFlame on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:24 pm

If you have evidence that the problem started while the equipment was in warranty then I dont think it will be a problem, they should still honour it.

It's not like warranties dont count if they have their fingers stuck in their ears singing 'la la la I'm not listening' when you try and inform them of a fault.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby EWJ on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:48 pm

Ok.. go online create a civil court ( small claims) form email it to them. they'll have to fix it or come up with the cash.. i presume you have a small claims court in the UK?

EDIT* start here http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/law_e/law_legal_system_e/law_taking_legal_action_e/small_claims.htm#Starting_a_claim

fill out the form.. and bingo.. watch how they squirm..
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Synaphix on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:52 am

ApacheFlame wrote:If you have evidence that the problem started while the equipment was in warranty then I dont think it will be a problem, they should still honour it.

It's not like warranties dont count if they have their fingers stuck in their ears singing 'la la la I'm not listening' when you try and inform them of a fault.

I'm sure email communication or whatever you used too would work as proof you tried getting them to rectify the issue with what Apache has said so however what EWJ has said do happens you can indicate communication was done via email to no resolve and they failed to fix the issue.
Interested in joining the CSGO Admin Team? Apply here.
Interested in joining the CSGO Map Team? Apply here.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

STEAM_0:0:000000

Postby m0lineux on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:53 pm

A little update on this as i have had no reply since my last email i have decided to take another step in action, i have filled out a letter of complaint highlight the problems and the situation along with a transcript of the emails which were sent to them. This was done using the C A B template on their website so i will sent that recorded delivery this afternoon and see what happens from here. Also considering filing a complaint to eBay as well see what assistance they are able to give me.
m0lineux
UKCS Admin

Postby Little_Devil on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 am

First of all do not send an email, write a leter of complaint. Emails are not considered to be secure or even a legal form, and can be ignored by any company. A registered letter is the preffered way, and make sure you take a copy of the letter.

Be polite in the letter explaining that you have sent a number of emails which have been apparently ignored, and that if you have not heard from them within 10 days, you will take the matter up with Consumer Protection and possibly persue legal action.

Mark at the top of the letter that is is a letter of complaint, this makes sure, if the company is reputable, that it goes to the correct person or department,
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Shuriken on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Nice reading there LD
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets