Ethernet controller card breaking down? - Solved

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Ethernet controller card breaking down? - Solved

Postby [FIN]JackBauer on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:59 pm

Having an annoying problem with my internet connection at the moment. There were many stages to me finding out what's going on, but I'll cut to the chase; whenever I have my Ethernet controller (Atheros ar8151 pci-e gigabit ethernet controller) enabled, my connection times out all the time. Impossible to do anything. It does the same even if I'm using Wifi. Disbaled the controller, all is fine again, yay! Problem is, the only wifi I can get is the hotspot on my HTC Desire and it isn't much. Updated the drivers for the controller, did nothing. The question is, what is causing this problem? Is the controller or my laptop breaking down or could it be something else?

May be worth wile mentioning that the problem started when a new wifi was installed into the house. Or it did around the same time, not sure if the two problems are related. The new wifi still doesnt get through the concrete to work, so that was a good effort by the manager of my student village.

On a relating subject, where would I buy a decent laptop, if I needed to, in Ireland? I can travel to Dublin if needed, but would prefer dealing in Athlone.

Thanks for any help in advance!
[FIN]JackBauer
Experienced Member

Player: aekson
STEAM_0:1:9679660

Re: Ethernet controller card breaking down?

Postby sNaKeBiTe on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:39 pm

Do you also get the problem if wifi is disabled but ethernet is enabled? When both are enabled, did you disconnect the ethernet cable? Are you using any kind of VPN? Have you tried to disable the firewall? What about the onboard controller?
It sounds like a driver issue, but I could be wrong. In my experience networking problems are the worst to diagnose, as there are so many possibilities. You could try to restore the system to a date when it still worked.
If that doesn't work I'd probably just change the network card as you can pick one up for just a couple of bucks and it might save you a lot of time and hassle.

sNaKeBiTe

Player: sNaKeBiTe
STEAM_0:1:10928581

Postby [FIN]JackBauer on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:55 am

Wonder if replacing a laptop network card is worthwile? I mean is it possible and how expensive would it be? :f

The thing about restoring system back to the date when it was working is that nothing actually changed; I didn't install anything, the drivers were the same. The connection just started timing out. And no, disabling wifi doesn't fix the problem with the ethernet. Firewall wasn't in the way either, tried disabling it for a short time.

Found a Click.ie store in the town I'm living in, will probably pop by there next week. If it was my tabletop messing around, I'd just change parts, but I'm not familiar with messing around with laptop's hardware at all :P Thanks for the tips though, they were worth a shot!
[FIN]JackBauer
Experienced Member

Postby sNaKeBiTe on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:12 am

[FIN]JackBauer wrote:Wonder if replacing a laptop network card is worthwile? I mean is it possible and how expensive would it be? :f

Oh, I missed that it's a laptop.... If your laptop has an ExpressCard slot you could try that. There are also USB solutions out there, but I have no idea if they are any good.

Windows update has the ability to change/update drivers. If it's set to automatically update it might have changed something without you knowing.

If you are thinking of buying a new laptop anyways, that's definitely the easiest solution :D

sNaKeBiTe

Player: sNaKeBiTe
STEAM_0:1:10928581

Postby Loser on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:54 pm

Changing the network card on a laptop is so simple its crazy! They are so small and cute! lol

My Alienware was blue screening and it was the wifi card. I literally replaced mine with one from a spare laptop I had. Worked perfect and they both connect great!

Just look up the laptop online and there is usually a guide :)
Loser
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Dr...Doom
STEAM_0:0:3618166

Postby Deathtaker27 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:53 pm

I suspect that the network card will be soldered to the motherboard and unable to change, unlike wifi and other laptop components these are generally not upgradable

+ 1 for usb nic
Thanks Podge, speccy and Tao
Deathtaker27
Old Timer

Player: DT27
STEAM_0:1:22687060

Postby EWJ on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:16 pm

What brand of laptop is it?
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby [FIN]JackBauer on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:46 pm

It's an Acer Aspire 4820. Thanks for the USB tip fellas, I'll stop by the local computer store to get myself an adapter :)
[FIN]JackBauer
Experienced Member

Postby EWJ on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:55 pm

Most laptops I've worked on,the actual wireless card is only attached to the mobo.

But anyway the quick fix is getting a usb adaptor.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby [FIN]JackBauer on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:11 pm

USB adapter works great and I have a stable, decent connection again :) This will be all I need for now, assuming nothing else on my laptop breaks down :D

Problem solved, this thread can be locked! Thanks for the tips guys, really appreciate it!
[FIN]JackBauer
Experienced Member

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets