Updated with a request. New 3D monitor purchase... maybe...

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Updated with a request. New 3D monitor purchase... maybe...

Postby Lord Talan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi All,

I have just reserved what would seem to be the last LG D2343P-BN 23" 3D monitor in the whole of Kent, and plan to collect (and pay) for it tomorrow.

So, very quickly as time as getting very short...

any one out there got this monitor, and how do you rate it? Good or bad etc?

Please don't descend in to "wait 342342months for the new version of 3D to come out costing £329874892734.12" as I am not asking about that. This monitor is the one I have reserved and want information on (if anyone has any ^^).

Cheers

LT
Last edited by Lord Talan on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Early retired UKCS Full TF2 Admin Image I don't die. I just respawn
Lord Talan
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Lord Talan
STEAM_0:1:7454406

Re: New 3D monitor purchase... maybe...

Postby Shuriken on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:13 pm

One of the best non-active shutter 3D monitors imo. Only downside is it's a bit shiny so your room lighting might affect what you can see reflected and the perfect angle can be hard to find. On that note the perfect view distance for 3D is a litte touchy depending on the angle of the screen. Overall it's pretty damn good though, especially for the price.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Re: New 3D monitor purchase... maybe...

Postby Lord Talan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi

thanks Shuriken - I had read some reviews that said exactly what you said about screen reflection. The room I would use it in should be OK, if not I can always re-arrange a few things.

TBH, I am looking at a new standard monitor, which alone would cost £100-£120 for a 23-24" one, so to pay £150 for a 3D enabled one is not much of a stretch. I have read other good things about them, so I'll prolly collect it tomorrow. I can always return it (it's faulty... *cough*) if I don't like it ;)

Any one else know about these monitors please? :)

Cheers

LT
Lord Talan
UKCS Life Sponsor

Re: Updated with a request. New 3D monitor purchase... maybe

Postby Lord Talan on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi

Ok, I bought it last night and deliberately waiting until this morning (Sat'day) to set it up, thinking it would take a little extra with all the 3D stuff ..... I was right....

Normal 2D via DVI and HDMI is easy. Lots of options and a nice crisp display. No issues there.

But 3D use is another issue. I've read so many reviews along the lines "I press the 2D->3D button and it's brill". I press my button and it's shit.

I've tried moving back and forth from the screen and adjusting the 3D settings all to little effect. I am not an idiot normally on techy things, but this is now peeing me off.

So... does anyone know what I need to do? Am I missing something simple?

Also, I've tried TriDef and that just slows everything down, and doesn't help with 3D anyway, still looks crap (and yes, I do put the supplied glasses on).

In short, 3D and 2D->3D is not working even with lots of adjustments and the use and non-use of TriDef.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

LT
Lord Talan
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby sNaKeBiTe on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:31 pm

What kind of connection (i.e. cable) are you using? If I hook my TV (it's an LG with passive 3D) with a DVI to hdmi cable to my computer the picture looks pretty shit, too. I had to buy an HDMI 1.4a cable. Even an older hdmi cable I had laying around didn't work as it didn't have this 1.4a specification.

Make sure you test this with native 3D material and not with the 2D->3D conversion, as it is often doesn't look that good.

sNaKeBiTe

Player: sNaKeBiTe
STEAM_0:1:10928581

Postby Lord Talan on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi,

I have just updated to PowerDVD 12 (from 9) and ran a pure 3D film... and it worked!! (OK, the screen size shrunk a little....)

I am using just a HDMI cable at present, or Blu-Rays just won't play (HDCP security crap) - my DVI cable is unplugged atm. I am not too sure if my HDMI cable is just 1.4 (and not 1.4a) - is there a major difference? Should I make sure I have a 1.4a HDMI cable?

Btw, simple specs.... Gfx 2GB ATI 7870, CPU ATI 3850 8 cores at 4mhz, monitor LG D2343 (I will plug and unplug the DVI at different times, but the HDMI is always in at present.).

So, when I got Sanctum 3D to finally work, like already menetioned the screen shrank a little (but nothing too bad), but I literally had to sit about 12" away, no adjustments to monitor or software would allow me to pull back and still keep a good 3D effect :( Any ideas?

Then I'll tackle in game 3D - with or without TriDef (hopefully just using the monitors in built 2d->3d)

Cheers

LT
Lord Talan
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby sNaKeBiTe on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Lord Talan wrote:I have just updated to PowerDVD 12 (from 9) and ran a pure 3D film... and it worked!! (OK, the screen size shrunk a little....)

Personally, I only watch 3D in SBS with normal VLC, so I can't comment on BluRays. However, I think I read somewhere that PowerDVD wasn't the best programm for playing 3D and that ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5 was better suited for that. I've tried my files with all of these Programms and I can't see any difference, but maybe it's different with BluRay.
If you don't watch a BluRay and have SBS material too, you might have to change the mode, according to the picture (left/right or right/left).

Lord Talan wrote:I am using just a HDMI cable at present, or Blu-Rays just won't play (HDCP security crap) - my DVI cable is unplugged atm. I am not too sure if my HDMI cable is just 1.4 (and not 1.4a) - is there a major difference? Should I make sure I have a 1.4a HDMI cable?

I have no idea. Wikipedia say 1.4 should be enough for 3D. The cable specification is usually printed on the cable in small letters.

sNaKeBiTe

Postby Shuriken on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:50 pm

I know it sounds odd, but have you tried sitting off-center? When we were setting it up my buddy was pretty much ready to give up until he sat next to me and said "actually... it's a lot better on this side of the sofa" lol. Can't recall what software he's using but will try and find out, a standard hdmi cable should be fine though.

The setup time is no surprise though, we spent a whole saturday fiddling with it to get it to look right and I ended up staying the night and ordered a pizza as I had completely missed dinner at home lol. As for the technical aspects I'm at a loss, we went through the manual and menu a dozen times trying to figure out why it wouldn't look right lol.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Lord Talan on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:57 am

Hi,

another quick update....

This morning I loaded up Sniper Elite V2, which has inbuilt AMD 3DHD support, so I enabled that.....

... and if I sit at the correct height then it seems to work perfect....

Before I was trying my normal viewing 'angle' (ie height), but now I can move back and forth and as long as I keep the same 'height' then the 3D still works!!

Trial and error seems to be the thing at present, but at least I am slowly getting there and my annoyance level at it is almost gone (glad it's the weekend!! Would never had done this during the working week)

So, if you have a 3D monitor that appears not to be working, move yourself up and down with your viewing angle, you'll be surprised!!

Going to have to raise my monitor on a little stand of some kind later so that I am not straining myself to get the right height. I did try moving myself left and right (ie off centre) and that didn't help at all, but thanks for the suggestion Shuriken. There is no manual as such for this monitor (online help a little) so.... but I can see how you lost an entire Sat'day to it.

Snakebite.... what is SBS?? And since I have a Blu Ray player/recorder in my PC I will be watching BluRays (3D and hopefully 2D->3D) with it.

Going to try Sbiper Elite 2 later through the DVI later (was still using HDMI) and see if the screen still shrinks on it...

Cheers

LT
Lord Talan
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Lord Talan on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:37 am

Another very quick update...

... I enabled the DVI connection and did Sniper Elite v2 again...

...and...

... WOW!! ...

well worth it :)

Still a little learning and tweaking to be done, but I think I am getting there :) And to anyone out there thinking of getting a new monitor... think about spending a little extra and getting a 3D enabled one... especially one of these LG ones :) Like me you may hit some barriers when you first try it all out, but believe me when I say the results will be worth the time and little extra money (over a standard 2D).

I was dubious about getting a 3D monitor, but now I can say get one!! Just stick with it if 3D appears not to work straight away, but once you have it sussed... :)

3D movies (especially 3D made specific blu-rays) must be HDMI.

3D games via DVI (I know I am stating the obvious).

Any feedback (good or bad) from other 3D monitor users?

Cheers

LT
Lord Talan
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby sNaKeBiTe on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Oh lol, I thought about saying something about the horizontal angle, but I thought as you are using it as a monitor that you are probably sitting right in front of it :)

Lord Talan wrote:Snakebite.... what is SBS?? And since I have a Blu Ray player/recorder in my PC I will be watching BluRays (3D and hopefully 2D->3D) with it.

SBS means "side-by-side" (Mostly used in HSBS "half side-by-side"). It's a way to put 3D images in a normal (1080p) video file. HSBS looks like this: Image
You have 2 images side-by-side (1080p per eye for full SBS and 960×1080 per eye for HSBS) As with all passive 3D TVs on the market right now it can only display effectively half the resolution in 3D (effectively 720p as you need to put two images on the same screen) so you won't see a difference between full SBS and HSBS. It's also quite easy to play. You just start it like a normal video file and then enable 3D on the TV and the TV puts the 2 images together for the 3D effect.

You can also view youtubes 3D content that way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSGfN9rr78Q
Under 3D options you can choose the different types.

Lord Talan wrote:Any feedback (good or bad) from other 3D monitor users?
I don't use my TV as a monitor, and I never played any games on it so I can't comment on that. 3D in movies is great and I love it. However I think the 2D->3D conversion is just a gimmick that gets old quite quickly. Yes, it adds depth to the picture but it also doesn't work perfectly, depending on the scene. Bright objects tend to be more in the forground as they are supposed to be and darker objects are generally more in the back.

sNaKeBiTe

Postby Lord Talan on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:42 pm

Ahh,

side-by-side...

Gotcha now.

Nope tho, not how my monitor works. It interlaces instead, so more line-by-line.

I've yet to really get things working with the 2d->3d conversion - it may well be a gimmick that I don't get around to using, but it's there anyway.

Going to try Dirt Showdown later and use it's inbuilt 3d display and see how well that works (hopefully as good as Sniper Elite v2).

And yeah, I thought just 'sitting in front of a monitor' would do the trick - but it's doesn't, you need the correct elevation of you relative to the monitor (baffles me as to why...)

Cheers

LT
Lord Talan
UKCS Life Sponsor

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets