Openoffice vs MS Office

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Openoffice vs MS Office

Postby Dauntless on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:27 pm

I dont tend to use MS Office out of work and the inlaws are getting a new pc but need it for their own business, so before they shell out any money on MS Office, can anyone tell me if it is worth using OpenOffice which is free over the £95 MS Office 2013?

From what I can tell most of it will be to review other peoples orders/invoices and for creating their own invoices. Mostly word and some excell.

Any advice would be appreciated. Also if there are any other alternatives you could recommend.

P.s Their knowledge of computers is very limited.

Thanks peeps.
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Re: Openoffice vs MS Office

Postby moe_guays on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:39 pm

MS Office 2003 (cheaper than 2013 + probably easier to use)
Have you considered Office 365? £67 on Amazon... Its a year subscription with extras... 25GB Skydrive (online backup) + 60 Skype mins :cheers:
Image Image Image Image
-- UKCS Profile -------- Add me on Steam --------- Follow on Twitter -- Add on Facebook-
:coffee: UKCS CS:S Admin :coffee: UKCS TF2 Admin :coffee:
I'm also in charge of the maps you see on CS:S, If you find a map you feel will suit our UKCS servers then please post a link to the map Here. Alternatively apply to be on the map test team Here.
Happy Gaming :!:
moe_guays
Experienced Member

Player: ☠Moe
STEAM_0:1:28237563

Postby Flawless on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:30 pm

Use LibreOffice, OpenOffice got bad a long time ago and was forked to Libre. There is literally no point in paying money for office these days. When is the last time anyone actually "needed" to use office? It has a ton of wild and crazy functionality that isn't needed, can you think of the last time you use something that wasn't part of Office 2003?

If all they are doing simple stuff that is accomplished in word and excel just use libre plus no frigging ribbon UI which is the furthest thing from good usability.

moe_guays wrote:Have you considered Office 365? £67 on Amazon... Its a year subscription with extras... 25GB Skydrive (online backup) + 60 Skype mins

Are you a marketer? Subscribing to use office of all things for what looks like basic use?

Oh, and Office 2013? Not even once.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/20 ... transfers/
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby Kaelan002 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:35 pm

If you're going for open office, which I would highly recommend, you want to use Libre Office instead.

Most of the community left the original project after Oracle got their hands on it. Choosing instead to fork the existing code (Yay! Open source!) and continue under a new name.

=====

EDIT: Saying that - I'm still using office 2013 (they seem to have forgotten to de-activate the dev beta :p ) and it is very nice. The subscription/payment model is a complete mess though.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby Security on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:58 pm

Sometimes the layout of documents looks strange in LibreOffice when the original was made in MS Office (mainly with MS there latest docx / xlsx / etc. formats).
But what is stopping you from trying LibreOffice yourself, maybe ask for a document or two to see how the layout transition goes?

I have been using OpenOffice and now LibreOffice for 6+ years and never missed MS Office as I do not use office for anything special. :)

On a side note Oracle gave what is left of OpenOffice to the Apache Software Foundation.
I do miss Sun, that was such an awesome company for great open source initiatives.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Little_Devil on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:49 pm

I agree with flawless on this LibreOffice is far better these days. Oracle got heavy handed with the original software team who designed Open office, so they left en-masse and started LibreOffice. Open Office was Sun Microsystems answer to MS Office originally, and it is Sun's software team that has now created libreoffice.

http://www.libreoffice.org/default/

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

As far as MS Office is concerned, unless you get it for free, don't bother.

Review between Libre and Open office with history :)

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/76331.html
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Dauntless on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks guys, you have made my life so much easier. :)

I'm going to give these a try on my laptop at home with some of my work documents. I have a few weeks to sort it out before they make their laptop purchase.

Thanks again!
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Postby marciocruz on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:16 am

i always find MS office more user friendly :) and a lot more intuitive than open/libre office :)

marciocruz

marciocruz

Postby adz on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:36 am

Only problems with using open source like OOo or LO is that sometimes there are discrepancies between them and MS which can cause problems. At my work there are certain files from customers we have to open in MS otherwise we aren't opening the exact file due to OOo screwing it up. Not sure if what you are using them for will allow you to come into contact with those problems but some include form field formats.

Should be stressed that those problems are problems when using the files for programming purposes but figured I'd tell you anyway :P

adz
Home Member

Player: Adz
STEAM_0:1:7111525

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:48 am

I know what you mean, and it is usually a change by MS, who introduce something that is proprietary to MS, that other programs cannot use under copyright.

Imho People who want a basic word processor should not be paying a lot of money for MS, which is a good package, but is difficult for people to learn how to use properly and is expensive.

If you want Macros or integration between packages, then you need to make a choice. Private customers actually get the raw end of the deal with MS, whereas business is given very generous upgrades for little cost. MS first gave an upgrade from the older 2007 versions of office to office 10 for a very low price (can't remember the exact amount) then offered an upgrade to the latest version this year for the princely sum of £9, to employees of big businesses. Private customers however still have to pay the full price, 2007 to 2010 around £80, then another approx £80 to go from 2010 - 2013.
If you want to go direct to the latest cheapest version, Office Home & Student 2013 it is £109.99, however I think there are restrictions on this, so the next package is over £200.

Balance this against a free package with much of the same functionality as MS, then it is a choice between cost and what you are used to using, and who you send documents to.
As long as you remember not to send documents with macros, no matter what package you choose, then everything should work OK.

Simple choice to make really, if you have access to cheap software through a business and will continue to be able to get updates at free or little cost, then you could opt for MS. However given that PC's are on the decline, can anyone afford to stick with an archaic piece of software, when we have devices like IPAD and Android now flooding the market. When you get these devices, they certainly do not have MS office, and you have to choose another office package. This ofc means you loose any integration between different machines, so the macros become useless anyhow. At this point maybe you would like to choose a different package than MS.

Personally I used to like MS office, with all the goodies and it was a natural progression from MS works, however over time it has become less user friendly and is well over-priced for what you get, along with its compatibility problems.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Dauntless on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:03 am

Shortly after I created this thread my business offered us all a copy of new MS Office proffessional for our own use (full version not the yearly one). All it cost me was £8.50. I believe it is a part of a microsoft offer to large businesses, colleges and schools.
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Postby Deathtaker27 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Daulntless, it is actually an offer to any business that has a volume license agreement, if anyone else wants I can dig out the link that enables you to buy office at a huge discount?
Thanks Podge, speccy and Tao
Deathtaker27
Old Timer

Player: DT - RS
STEAM_0:1:22687060

Postby m0lineux on Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:29 pm

If you have a link to Office 2013/ 365 with a huge discount for students then send it this way. Will be going back to uni in two weeks need to sort this out.
m0lineux
UKCS Admin

Player: Tickler
STEAM_0:1:2177441

Postby Deathtaker27 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:02 am

4 year office subscription: http://software4students.co.uk/products ... university students only
Thanks Podge, speccy and Tao
Deathtaker27
Old Timer

Player: DT - RS
STEAM_0:1:22687060

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets