HDD Upgrade

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

HDD Upgrade

Postby astro on Sat May 11, 2013 1:39 am

So i blew up my external after many years of good service and now my poor 500gig internal is maxing out and i need to upgrade it all and not being that savvy with the hardware side of things / "price" of things these days was hoping someone could help me out.

Firstly, is it worth investing in a SSD - what are the real benefits of it other than your pc starting faster luls ... i don't play many of the "new" games so is it a case of a standard drive will do exactly the same ?

Secondly, its been suggested i should get a boot drive and then a big data disk for all my bits and pieces (films etc. ..) and if i decide to replace my current internal what's the best way to reinstall everything as i don't have many of the disks anymore.

My budget is around £175 and i will list what i have at the moment, hope someone can help out =)

i5-2500k
8 GB Ram
Gtx 460
500gig internal hdd (a cheapy one that came with the pc)

let me know if i missed anything important,
Thanks, Rich
astro
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: A*-
STEAM_0:1:9537458

Re: HDD Upgrade

Postby Deathtaker27 on Sat May 11, 2013 9:31 am

Rich, I would pop down to a local shop and buy CutomPC magazine, they did a huge SSD test this month so that will give you some insight into the speeds and uses for an SSD and the options available

As for data, how much do you expect you will need and how long will you be planning on keeping the drive.

eg: I personally have an additional 1tb of data around every 3 months. So I have 4x2TB drives currently.

/edit before anyone asks or thinks wrong, I do a lot of work with virtual machines, + I have backups etc so it quickly adds up
Last edited by Deathtaker27 on Sun May 12, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks Podge, speccy and Tao
Deathtaker27
Old Timer

Player: DT - RS
STEAM_0:1:22687060

Postby astro on Sat May 11, 2013 10:52 am

I usually just delete and keep at a steady level but i want to put all my music back on my pc so i would need around 2 TB.

Obviously my local is rubbish as they don't sell that magazine :P will have to check out Tesco later on.
astro
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby EWJ on Sat May 11, 2013 12:45 pm

SSd for OS, HDD for everything else.. or so i'm led to believe.. as for prices you can get a 3TB HDD for £90 from aria here

AS for SSD's someone else should advise as i know bugger all about them. :)
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Shuriken on Sat May 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Personally I like to have 2 SSDs and a HDD. One small SSD for the OS, one large one for games and apps that benefit from faster read/write access and the HDD for bulk storage. If you're on a budget I'd recommend getting something like: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/64gb-san ... 00-iops-ma for the boot drive SSD and something like http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3tb-seag ... ms-ncq-oem for your storage.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Kaelan002 on Sat May 11, 2013 2:12 pm

128GB Crucial M4 + a couple of TB of conventional would be my advice.

Unless you plan to install your entire steam library on flash, anything more than 128gb is unnecessary.
Any less and performance starts to degrade due to the way most controllers address the NAND.

The M4 is a couple of years old now, but still a great drive.
-Uses a Marvell controller, the drive was released before everyone started using Sandforce chips (which were later found to be terrible).
-Syncronous NAND, rather than the cheaper Async NAND.
-Sata 6 (III) with full TRIM support
-Regular firmware updates - they have had two years to perfect it.
-The raw transfer speed comes from the quality of the flash, rather than from fancy compression algorithms - which require(d?) a large amount of free space to work.

The bonus from raw speed increase is negligible. The real benefit of SSDs is near instant seek time due to not having to move a read head around.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby sNaKeBiTe on Sat May 11, 2013 2:35 pm

astro wrote:Firstly, is it worth investing in a SSD - what are the real benefits of it other than your pc starting faster luls ... i don't play many of the "new" games so is it a case of a standard drive will do exactly the same ?

With a SSD all the programs will load faster and generally be more responsive. It will not improve your fps in games. I'd say it is definitely worth it as it really is a much nicer experience.

astro wrote:Secondly, its been suggested i should get a boot drive and then a big data disk for all my bits and pieces (films etc. ..) and if i decide to replace my current internal what's the best way to reinstall everything as i don't have many of the disks anymore.

I would always go with a fresh install. As long as you still have your key, you don't even need any disks. You can download the latest windows image directly from microsoft, burn it and install it. Download the latest drivers and you're done.
There are data migration tools that will transfer your current system on to a SDD but I've never used them.

The m4 isn't bad but quite old at this point (i have one myself). Samsungs 840 series is a little faster and about the same price i think. Get a 128gb SSD and a 3tb HDD and use your 500gb drive as the backup drive for your pictures and documents and stuff.

sNaKeBiTe

Player: sNaKeBiTe
STEAM_0:1:10928581

Postby astro on Sat May 11, 2013 3:51 pm

http://www.ebuyer.com/409849-samsung-12 ... m=products

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004W2JKZI/r ... B004W2JKZI

Are these the correct ones ?

Thanks for all the advice, seems quite within budget as well
astro
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Kaelan002 on Sat May 11, 2013 4:26 pm

Yup, those are the ones.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby Little_Devil on Fri May 17, 2013 8:50 pm

SSD for laptops, or anything mobile, the benefits of an SSD over other types of drive are negligible. when it comes to many applications.

You would really have to think hard to come up with a good excuse to waste your money on something that gives you a small increase in speed over other types of drive, for the quite obvious increase in cost.

Hybrid drives (SSHD) give both a speed increase whilst giving you the size advantage of a normal hdd, and for even a laptop they are more reliable than a hdd, although not as good as the ssd, which have no moving parts to get damaged.

http://www.ebuyer.com/480284-seagate-1t ... t1000lm014

I use 3 of these drives, all my normal hdd's are now relegated to holding backup data, that is not accessed that often, so the reliability is not an issue because there are a lot less read/write cycles. Desktop computer boots up quicker than it used to and is faster than my i5 laptop with normal hdd, on both start-up and application launch.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Ragonz on Sun May 19, 2013 1:04 am

Personally i prefer a set up of 128GB SSD for OS then a 4 Drive Raid 5 setup for data/games, So long as you have a high end motherboard or get yourself a mid range raid controller its much quicker than a single drive (not as quick as raid 1 (I think that's striped, i can never remember which is 1 and which is 0) but more crucially gives redundancy, you can have a drive fail and 99% of the time be ok.

However anything over a 1TB drive in Raid 5 is risky as the rebuild process is more and more likely to fail rebuilding that much data, you would be better off with raid 10

Raid setups are expensive but the redundancy is so nice to have, especially if you have important data
Asus Sabertooth X58 Motherboard | I7 -950 @ 5.2Ghz | Crucial 18GB 1600Mhz Ballistix memory | Saphire HD7970 | Coolermaster 700W PSU | Watercooled

Xfire - Ragonz
Steam Rush Evo
http://www.Pingperfect.com
Ragonz
Home Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: -=TSH=-Ragonz
STEAM_0:1:2842690

Postby Deathtaker27 on Sun May 19, 2013 8:32 am

Or just have a good backup system if you can't afford RAID ;)
Thanks Podge, speccy and Tao
Deathtaker27
Old Timer

Player: DT - RS
STEAM_0:1:22687060

Postby Little_Devil on Sun May 19, 2013 2:14 pm

In the past we used RAID because drives were smaller and more unreliable, then back up all that data onto other storage mediums regularly.

These days it is more of a buzzword for I am a lazy git who cba to do any backups, so use RAID so that I don't loose much of the dross I keep stored on my HDD's, because I am even too lazy to housekeep my HDD and de-clutter the crap off it :P :D
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Flare on Sun May 19, 2013 2:30 pm

I use a normal good quality HDD for OS and most games + applications, a SSD for games that would benefit (like Metro, Black Ops II, Xcom) and a dual external HDD system for backing up stuff I really dont want to lose.
The OS is fast enough as it is so barely see any benefit from being on the SSD, but the size of the SSD is so small that the OS would take a pretty significant chunk right off the bat.
Dual external HDD's in case one fails I can replace and copy the stuff back from the working one, keeping at least 1 spare copy handy at all times.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets