Looking for a Headset

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Looking for a Headset

Postby Dauntless on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi guys.
I have had a look at some of the older threads for headsets but none of them seam to suit my needs. I was hoping you could help me find a decent headset with the following being the things I am looking for the most (in no particular order):

1) Wireless - no compromise on this one unfortunately, it has to be wireless. I work and play from my laptop. I love my RAT mouse which is wired, I get very annoyed with wires so I cant handle any more, one is enough!!

2)Battery Life - Its a toss up on this one, I want long life 8-10hrs etc. but at the same time if it works whilst charging I am willing to compromise.

3) Dolby 7.1 sound - This maybe a push for my budget but I have only a noobs knowledge of headsets, I have never really owned one as I used to have speaker system on my old desktop.

My budget is around the £75 mark however I will push if I find one good enough and not too far out of budget.
I have seen this one below which was close to my budget but like I said I don't know enough to make a decision:
http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-2000-wireless-7-1-gaming-headset.html

As always thanks for your time and help! :D
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Re: Looking for a Headset

Postby ApacheFlame on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:30 pm

you may be able to get a Turtle beach X3 for that price. Nice sound, wireless and can play whilst charging (they give you a REALLY long charge cord too). I upgraded mine to a G930 as my px3s suffered an unfortunate accident (I shoved them roughly in a bag and then piled up rubbish ontop and they fractured). It has repaired nicely though.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby Dauntless on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:51 am

I did look at the PX3 but something on the Turtle Beach website made it sound that it wasn't wireless for the PC, only wireless for xbox and PS3.
If it is deffo wireless on PC then I only need to know which one is the better spec as both The Corsair one I linked above and the PX3 are about £70?
I prefer the look of the Corsair but if the PX3 is better I would go for that instead.

I did want a G930 but couldn't find anywhere with one even near my budget, even refurb ones where too expensive lol.
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Postby Dauntless on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:06 am

So much for a budget, i bit the bullet and just got myself a G930. :cheers:
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Postby ApacheFlame on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:18 pm

d'oh! Yes, the px3 is wireless for PC too. I haven't had experience with the corsair so couldn't comment. Hope you like the 930s, they are a nice piece of kit :cheers:
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby sNaKeBiTe on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:21 pm

For future reference. I've had the Sennheiser RS170 (only Headphones) for a couple of years now and they are awesome.

You also don't really need real surround sound (i.e. multiple speakers) in a headphone. You only have 2 ears and the software-surround has gotten so that you don't hear the difference.
If you don't believe me listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

sNaKeBiTe

Player: sNaKeBiTe
STEAM_0:1:10928581

Postby Little_Devil on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:18 pm

We always used one of three in the studios, Beyer, Belkin or Sennheiser The last being the lightest and best quality, however background noise was a problem when the volume was low.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets