Video playback problem

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Video playback problem

Postby Silkie on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:55 am

I have a strange problem after updating my AMD GPU drivers.

Before this all normal video files were happy to play in Windows Media Player 12 (Win7 Pro 64 bit) and some of the odd formats were handled by the VLC stand alone player rather than install codec packs. Now certain files won't play and immediately crash the player with no helpful message and rather useless event in the logs. VLC still plays fine of course but files that used to play fine just crash every time. MP4 files seem OK but older AVI are the main problem.

I could I suppose just stick to VLC but I hate the idea of something being broken in this fashion.

So far I've tried installing the XVid Codec just in case cleaning out the old drivers broke something there.

The next step will be 'sfc /scannow' and an attempt to reset MP12.

Any other ideas that aren't hammer related are welcome.
"I prefer the company of animals more than the company of humans.
Certainly, a wild animal is cruel.
But to be merciless is the privilege of civilised humans."
Silkie
Experienced Member

Player: Silkie
STEAM_0:0:523712

Re: Video playback problem

Postby ListerofSMEG-2 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:02 am

.........and here's your problem :D AMD GPU :D

Have you tried KLCodec pack? http://k-lite-codec-pack_full.en.softonic.com/ Chock full of all the latest codecs & video drivers.

Also comes with Media Player Classic which, like VLC, is a great video player
i37 i40 i43 i45(Spec) i46 i49 i52(spec) i55
ListerofSMEG-2
Home Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: ListerofSMEG
STEAM_0:1:5418592

Postby Flare on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:51 am

I suggest the CCCP pack (http://www.cccp-project.net/) it has all the codecs needed and comes also with the media classic player that is updated, I use it instead of Windows Media Player on Win 8.
The classic player with the pack is full of options and abilities to adjust the video to how you want to play it and the pack includes basically every single codec you will need to play virtually every type of media.
It easier to navigate and less annoying privacy intrusion issues (sending data, searching for album information, keeping a history of your playback, checking for updates, new codecs, new keys... ugh, the classic player optionally checks for updates and that is about it).
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Silkie on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks but I include codec packs under the heading 'hammer related' along with Nvidia and their various attempts to make graphics cards that suck up enough power to short out the national grid. :P
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Flare on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:18 pm

Codec packs are not complicated to install or use, the CCCP and K-Lite packs install easily and have a short cut to the classic media player, which is a basic ui application...its as easy to use as VLC.

... additionally the installed codecs are used by Windows as well by the Window Media Player so it may fix your issues at the same time. I have been using CCCP for quiet a while now and had no issues to complain about.

I assume by 'Hammer related' you mean you dont want a overly complicated solution that requires technical know how and fiddling with settings... both codecs offer a simple to install packs that are pre-configured for the vast majority of users, I have never needed to fiddle.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Little_Devil on Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:08 pm

You have to be careful when stating you just updated the AMD drivers, since the last update I had coincided with some windows security updates and some other fixes after which the video was broken. Net framework 4 screwed up on mine, so a complete uninstall and reinstall from MS of the net framework 4 and above, fixed it all. No idea why the net framework should cause a problem since the only thing I had was a security update.
I am not saying yours may be the same issue that I had, but its worth checking for any other updates you had around the same time.

You could even roll back your drivers to see if this is definitely the cause of the problem you are having.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Silkie on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:16 pm

I consider codec packs to be on a par with toolbars and things that want to add themselves to the system tray so I never use them. I want to fix it for peace of mind more than anything else as VLC is the superior player anyway IMHO. My only real concern is related to working on practice documents and presentations in which having to convert videos to other formats is going to be a bit of a pain.

I'm checking through the updates now because as you say it may just be a coincidence that I spotted this after the driver update. I suppose I could try and force Windows to reinstall MP as well. It's really me wanting to fix something before it causes me a real problem as some of the things can be replaced with place holder videos in MP4 for the time being.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Silkie on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:53 pm

Just for the record the problem seems to have been the 13.4 cats in some way. I've just finished installing the 13.9 and video playback in mediaplayer is back to normal. Ah the joy of owning a computer. How much are tablets again? :D
Silkie
Experienced Member

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets