Might need a tablet PC

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Might need a tablet PC

Postby Silkie on Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:45 pm

I must say I've been very impressed with tablets but couldn't really justify the cost until I decided to put some effort into improving my education a bit. I think the combination of light and portable with enough capability to deal with any light work away from my PC makes them a better option than a laptop as well as my existing computers.

So which one to get? I'm not anti Apple but for practical reasons I'd much prefer an Android based one and do have a liking for Samsung thanks to quite a few household items all of which I've been very happy with. At the moment the front runner is the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (8" screen) which seems to have all the things I want in a nice compact package with good text input. I'm keeping an open mind though and so any suggestions or personal recommendations would be most welcome.
"I prefer the company of animals more than the company of humans.
Certainly, a wild animal is cruel.
But to be merciless is the privilege of civilised humans."
Silkie
Experienced Member

Player: Silkie
STEAM_0:0:523712

Re: Might need a tablet PC

Postby Shuriken on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:27 am

I've had limited experience with them myself, I can't justify buying one yet lol. From the few times I've used them the Nexus 7 is pretty quick, has good resolution and is nice and light. Compared to the note 8.0 it's got a 7" screen instead of 8" but it's slightly faster even though the processor speeds are marginally slower than the note.

What might help you decide is the peripheral/secondary uses. The note 8.0 supports a stylus, if you prefer to use one and the note also doubles as an IR remote. Storage wise, the note is better off plus includes support for microsd cards, something which the nexus decided against. However the nexus runs android 4.3, the note 4.2. Personally I'd choose the nexus, simply because of android 4.3, I hate using a stylus anyway and 32 gig is enough room for anything I'd need it for, within reason.

Edit: Or you could wait til later and see the latest offering from Tesco XD http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24201260
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Synaphix on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:52 am

I am not sure if Monk still has his but we both have Nexus 7 and they are amazing, it works fast and responsive for me, the applications from Android are great obviously and I loved it. Hard wearing too on the Nexus. I'm not a fan at all of the Samsung one as my house mates broke theirs a few times just from simple things or it hung when loading applications but then that could just be a fault in that specific one.
Interested in joining the CSGO Admin Team? Apply here.
Interested in joining the CSGO Map Team? Apply here.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

STEAM_0:0:000000

Postby EWJ on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:56 am

amazing coincidence.. i was gonna post a thread asking the same this morning.. After many googles of it, I'm also torn between the note and the nexus. But then to complicate it Google have brought out the New Nexus 7.. so which is it? Note, nexus(2012)or Nexus (2013).. :scratch:
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Synaphix on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:08 am

They should of added a micro sd slot into this new model =\ and tbh, you may as well get the 2013 as the prices are more or less the same unless you find an amazing offer if you went for the Nexus that is. According to a review its 16GB (£199/$229) or 32GB (£239/$269) whatever that is in Euro, not much more cost than the 2012/original model.
Interested in joining the CSGO Admin Team? Apply here.
Interested in joining the CSGO Map Team? Apply here.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

STEAM_0:0:000000

Postby Silkie on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:41 am

I already own a nice pen/stylus and would find the stylus useful for quick sketches and as a visual learning aid. The Nexus is one of the ones I was looking at as well but so far I haven't had a chance to get a look at one.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby ApacheFlame on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:48 pm

I guess I will be the token apple user here. I love my iPad, but am well aware that they have a stigma about them and are significantly more pricey than other android models available. A big factor was that I got 10%/20% off mine because Comet were going under, but that still made it ~100 more than Android devices, although they in general had 7 inch screens.

IMO I am happy to pay the extra as I think the build quality is worth it. I have used a friends Nexus 7 and I prefer the bigger display and metal chassis. I am a bit careless at times and my macbook has witnessed things that would make other laptops weep. I expect the same will be true in time with my iPad (although I have had it quite a while now).

I like iOS and the pad seems very responsive and quick. The iOS 7 update hasn't helped that much and I am still getting used to it, but there are some nice out of the box security improvements that make up for it. Particularly 'Find my iPad' which essentially calls home if it is lost and someone tries to use it.

I am not a total apple fanboy. I have an android phone and had an android pad (ASUS Transformer, which was essentially a pad that turned into a netbook) before. I realise this is a bit garbled, but if you are not sold on android and want to ask questions about iPads/my experience with iOS Vs Android then let me know.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby Deathtaker27 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:38 pm

I would like to add the surface RT for students (the current one not the new one announced today) is a very good price and comes with office etc for educational needs (Word, powerpoint, excel, one note which is seriously underrated as a program)

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msu ... .281767400
Thanks Podge, speccy and Tao
Deathtaker27
Old Timer

Player: DT - RS
STEAM_0:1:22687060

Postby Kaelan002 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:17 pm

I still have a couple of Lenovo thinkpad Tablet 2s [link] I'm looking to sell.

They're 10 inch x86 atom chip tablets, running /full/ windows 8 - Battery life is great, and they weigh nothing.

If anyone's interested, let me know - I've got two new and sealed in their boxes, and one which I was using a netflix machine.

</blatant self promotion>
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby Silkie on Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm not anti Apple but TBH they seem poor VFM to me. I'm very careful with my 'toys' and have budgeted for a protective case as my phone one has already paid for itself thanks to some idiot who didn't understand that you let people off a tram first. Still the look on his face as he realised the size of the critter he'd just tried to barge past was funny enough. Anything smaller than a car tends to come off worst in collisions with me.

I do fancy the idea of those remote features. Starting to look like I might go for the Samsung after all the bills are cleared but that leaves more research time.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Little_Devil on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:16 pm

Apple is like buying Reebok or any other well known branded goods, you pay for the name and the build quality is no different to many other devices, that are all made in China.

People are so stupid when it comes to buying goods, with a branded name, when there are devices out there which are equally as good and in some cases better quality.

I have a couple of pads, both Android, and both used for different functions. I could of course recommend one type or another, but because these change so rapidly in a developing market place, what may have been a good buy at the time I purchased, are now out of date, despite them both being not so old. O.S. ICS with capacitive multi touch screens. Now its Jelly bean 4.3 I think.

The only reason I would urge anyone to buy any branded device, is because of the backup but even the smaller companies can offer decent backup, however I think these all have over inflated prices, for what you get.

There are so many tablets on the market at present, that trying a few out at different stores should not be a problem, just remember that many of these will have software on that shows them in the best light, so don't be in a rush to purchase straight away. Try them out as to feel of the device, paying attention to the placing of the cameras and and function keys. Nothing worse than finding out the camera is offset to an upper/lower corner, and you have to tilt it so that the person you are talking to is not just looking at half your face and an ear :) or that when you hold the tablet in a certain way, you don't inadvertently switch it off, or decrease brightness. You can also check out the sound and wi-fi. Try running a few apps and kick in the browser to stress test the device, run google maps and then once you are satisfied you have the best one for you, research the reviews on that particular tablet.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Security on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:02 pm

Personally I have a Playbook but that is rather outdated these days compared to the newer Android tablets or iPad (not that I care :P).
The Androids big selling point really is there price and the ability to use custom roms while with Apple I would say the support (they seem to get at least 3 iOS updates during there life time).
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Silkie on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:56 pm

Well after much thought and a price drop I've ordered a Note 8 from John Lewis which hopefully should be ready to pick up tomorrow from my local Waitrose. I can see me having hours of fun with that stylus as I've wanted something like that for ages.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Kaelan002 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:25 pm

I have to ask, for that price, why on earth did you not get the Nexus?
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Silkie on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Higher spec, stylus features, colour, screen quality, screen size, IR blaster, 2yr guarantee, 2 cameras and a bit of brand loyalty. My Samsung stuff has pleased me greatly by being niggle free over the years. Really the Note 8 fits what I want to use a tablet for so well they need to rename it the Samsung Silkiegadget™ and I can see my PC ending up a bit neglected.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Kaelan002 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:13 pm

>Higher spec
>Screen quality
Sorry, but those two simply aren't true.

1280x800 TFT vs 1920x1200 IPS
Both run Quad Core ARMv7 variants, for all intents and purposes identical.
(And for that matter, both have front+rear cameras)

Fair enough on the rest, I'm not trying to argue that it's a bad product, but £340 seems quite a premium for what is.
Especially when you compare it to Google's pricing, heck, even the new Ipad Mini sells for less :P

Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Silkie on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:08 pm

It isn't that much. I paid £299 with a 2 year guarantee but could have got it much cheaper. As for the spec maybe theres a Nexus I haven't spotted but the ones I've seen are single camera with less RAM. Also AMD CPU, sorry but hack-spit.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Silkie on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Hmm. You know I need a plugin to check my posts for when my natural obnoxiousness leaks into them. I've possibly just had back luck with AMD CPU's over the years despite being very fond of their GPU range.

Sorry if I came across as more of an asshat than usual but sometimes I can be a bit of a grumpy old man. :wink:
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Kaelan002 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:33 pm

If you find such a plugin.. do send me a link. ;)

Re/ the last post briefly, you probably saw stuff regarding the original nexus 7 - which did have 1GB Ram.
The one they're selling now is the mk2, completely new build, but confusingly they kept the name.

Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Silkie on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:35 pm

I'm hopelessly in love with the stylus feature as when I think I like to doodle and trees have been good to me in the past. I trotted off and collected it today and once it had finished updating have only just managed to stop fiddling with it. To date my only problem is with the IR remote feature which I'm sure I'll figure out. Well that and the bill but Steam didn't get a penny of me this summer and it is a treat to goad myself into improving my education.

I'm in the oldest age group here at UKCS but I'm determined not to become one of those people who rejects new technology as I think that's the point when you start to get really old. New toys shall keep me young. :cheers:
Silkie
Experienced Member

Next

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets