Need a Noctua NH-D14 alternative so I can close my case!

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Re: Need a Noctua NH-D14 alternative so I can close my case!

Postby Seven. on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:14 pm

The only way to find out is to test it. Start without an OC, check temps. Increase OC and check temps. Until you reach your target speed and required voltage.
I used 100Mhz increments and the same voltage as the last increment. If it crashed during stress test I'd increase voltage by 0.010v in offset mode.
Once stable enough to last a 10 minute stress test I'd increase it by 100Mhz again and repeat.

I used these steps:
Disclaimer: This is a recommendation based on personal experience. Be aware that over-clocking a processor may result in hardware damage if not handled carefully. Yada-yada-ya, pompidompidom.

#Basic
    1. Adjust multiplier (OC)
    2. Adjust voltage +0.010v (offset mode)
    3. Run Prime95 for 5 minutes without crash. 5 minutes "warm-up" time.
    4. Check temperatures while Prime95 runs for another 5 minutes.

No crash? Repeat #Basic
Crash? Follow #Voltage Adjust

#Voltage Adjust
    1. Increase voltage +0.010v (offset mode)
    2. Run Prime95 for 5 minutes without crash. 5 minutes "warm-up" time.
    4. Check temperatures while Prime95 runs for another 5 minutes.

Once you reach your goal with acceptable temperatures and do not crash/BSOD for 10 minutes of Prime95. Run Prime95 for 30+ minutes (preferably 60+ minutes), no errors/crashes/bsod's means it's stable enough to run games on.
Some folks will disagree and say "run Prime95 for 12/24 hours!!!!". But that's their preference.
Seven.
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Colonel Seven.
STEAM_0:1:3465036

Postby Cr4z33 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:37 pm

Thanks Seven. and everybody else!
I am definitely going to buy a Noctua NH-C14 middle next month and follow those steps. :D
ImageImage

Cr4z33
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Cя∂حﻉﻉ™
STEAM_0:0:4580092

Postby Little_Devil on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:47 pm

Cr4z33 wrote:
Little_Devil wrote:Just thought you would be able to use the single fan option (65mm clearance), which gives you more board clearance, or even turn it by 90 degrees, which will give you the same clearance as you have now. 8mm is not much difference no idea what your present clearance is to the ram :) rotate the heat-sink by 90 degrees and the C14 has the same clearance as the N14 (Width (with fan) 140 mm)

Hmm didn't know I can put the fans on the sides! :shock:
I wonder now why Noctua support themself wanted to dissuade me from buying one of their products...

Thanks LD, I am going to investigate further! <3 :cheers:

*Update
Do you think that if I choose the single fan option I would still be fine with temperatures when my i7-930 is oveclocked to 4 GHz?

No you cannot put them on the sides, but you can rotate the whole thing by 90 degrees around its vertical axis. Given that your RAM is to one side of the heat sink and the width of the C14 can be made the same as the N14 on the side facing the RAM, you should not have a problem. This means you can either run with dual fans or still be able to use 1 fan and get adequate cooling.
The only problem with making a call about cooling, is that you are taking the operating temperatures of the CPU in isolation, but as we know, heat is a cumulative figure, so it all depends on how good the heat dissipation is inside your case from all other components. As has been said, lowering the Voltage of the CPU lowers the amount of heat generated, but the downside could be that you could get signal degradation.

The other option would be to use a Zalman CNPS9900-DF but I have no idea about the dimensions inside your case and the relative distances of clearance you have between the CPU and RAM

Which mobo do you have, sorry if you have already said
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Cr4z33 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:38 pm

Little_Devil wrote:
Cr4z33 wrote:
Little_Devil wrote:Just thought you would be able to use the single fan option (65mm clearance), which gives you more board clearance, or even turn it by 90 degrees, which will give you the same clearance as you have now. 8mm is not much difference no idea what your present clearance is to the ram :) rotate the heat-sink by 90 degrees and the C14 has the same clearance as the N14 (Width (with fan) 140 mm)

Hmm didn't know I can put the fans on the sides! :shock:
I wonder now why Noctua support themself wanted to dissuade me from buying one of their products...

Thanks LD, I am going to investigate further! <3 :cheers:

*Update
Do you think that if I choose the single fan option I would still be fine with temperatures when my i7-930 is oveclocked to 4 GHz?

No you cannot put them on the sides, but you can rotate the whole thing by 90 degrees around its vertical axis. Given that your RAM is to one side of the heat sink and the width of the C14 can be made the same as the N14 on the side facing the RAM, you should not have a problem. This means you can either run with dual fans or still be able to use 1 fan and get adequate cooling.
The only problem with making a call about cooling, is that you are taking the operating temperatures of the CPU in isolation, but as we know, heat is a cumulative figure, so it all depends on how good the heat dissipation is inside your case from all other components. As has been said, lowering the Voltage of the CPU lowers the amount of heat generated, but the downside could be that you could get signal degradation.

The other option would be to use a Zalman CNPS9900-DF but I have no idea about the dimensions inside your case and the relative distances of clearance you have between the CPU and RAM

Which mobo do you have, sorry if you have already said

Alright I will test the whole thing once the Noctua arrives. <3

I won't buy ever again a Zalman.
My last experience ended up with a noisy, expensive and completely useless heatsink.
ImageImage

Cr4z33
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Cя∂حﻉﻉ™
STEAM_0:0:4580092

Previous

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets