General upgrade | Need help!

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

General upgrade | Need help!

Postby Zuki on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:45 pm

So, with a bit of wonga coming in i have decided on upgrading my pc, not peripherals but the actual pc its self.
I generally only game, so i dont need anything too fancy for video editing or anything like that.

Price range: Around £500 for a upgrade, having in mind that i dont need extra HD and a small possibility on a new processor.

Also if someone would tell me how to copy and past my pc specs here i would appreciate it :)

Rough idea of specs:(As i said dont know how to copy and past all my specs..)

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 640 Processor 3.00GHz
Ram: Dont know what type but i have 4GB
Last edited by Zuki on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zuki
Recruit Member

Player: Zuki ibis.a
STEAM_0:0:41635243

Re: General upgrade | Need help!

Postby Slavechild on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:45 pm

Non-retail gold sample Intel i7 990X (overclocked).
Nvidia GTX 660.
I only have 4gb of RAM so that's going to go soon.
Watercooling is fun if you have a OC'ed system.
Nice big case, I have a cooler master cosmos S.
SSD + HDD high RPM.

Only set me back £1100
Magical Facebook Fairy wrote:Image
Slavechild
Home Member

Player: Slavechild
STEAM_0:1:26412177

Postby Zuki on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:20 pm

That processor is quite pricey though, whats your view on your graphics card, has it lived up to your expectations?
Zuki
Recruit Member

Postby Slavechild on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:36 pm

The GTX 660 has been amazing, I was thinking that I may have to SLI it but it actually works really well especially with the latest drivers.
Slavechild
Home Member

Postby Zuki on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:27 am

My mate had the MSI Radeon R9 270X and he said it was relatively good, either going to get this one or the one you have, looked at some reviews and they are very positive.
Zuki
Recruit Member

Postby Slavechild on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:36 pm

If you're going to stick with AMD processors I would probably go with the Radeon as they tend to work well together.
Slavechild
Home Member

Postby SkeletalBOB on Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:54 pm

Use this to get a good idea of your specs in a nicely laid out manner. http://www.piriform.com/speccy

The processor you have is one of the better AM3 socket processor's you can buy, you'd probably be looking to get an AM3+ socket (almost certainly a new motherboard) if you wanted a better processor.

The number one best upgrade for the money at the moment is an SSD, if you haven't got one yet get a decent sized one (256GB) or maybe two (128GB's). The difference they make to any build is astounding, if you're not a fan of load times that is. My laptop can be ingame playing on a server, logged into mumble, playing music via winamp all within a minute after a full shutdown. I'm a big fan of SSD's.

You might want to think about getting the fastest possible RAM you can get if you don't plan to upgrade your motherboard, the increase's won't be great but with an aftermarket cooler for your processor and a little overclocking you should see good to great gains.

No idea what your GPU is but £200 should pick you up a decent upgrade. I wouldn't look to spend more than that though as you'll find the CPU probably bottlenecks anything worth more.
ImageImage
SkeletalBOB
Senior Admin

Player: SkeletalBOB on craptop
STEAM_0:0:41790546

Postby Zuki on Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:50 pm

thanks that has really helped me, i guess ill get a ssd then as i have read some reviews and its stupidly better, along with getting some faster ram as getting a new motherbored is the step after this, any suggestions on good ram to get? and what size, dont want to spend money on ram then the computer not using half of it.
Zuki
Recruit Member

Postby SkeletalBOB on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:30 pm

It depends on which motherboard you have as to how much ram you can take but you should be able to run DDR3 SDRAM up to PC3-10600 according to wikipedia. 8GB should be more than enough really.
ImageImage
SkeletalBOB
Senior Admin

Player: SkeletalBOB on craptop
STEAM_0:0:41790546

Postby Flare on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:23 am

One other tip / trick regarding RAM, try get 2 x 4 gig rather than 4 x 2 gig blocks of RAM, this will allow you to add RAM of the same type later if you feel the need to add some more RAM.
8 gigs is more than enough for now but it doesnt hurt to build in the ability to add more later, and its a relatively cheap upgrade to add some more sticks of RAM later down the line especially if you left some slots open for it.

I recently updated my PC to this : viewtopic.php?f=23&t=61271

There was a few things I did regret so read all the posts in that topic , costed me nearly £600... that was CPU , Mobo , RAM , SSD and case.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets