OverclockersUK, really that good ?

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

OverclockersUK, really that good ?

Postby Flare on Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:29 am

I was wondering which UK based online (or physical) shop you guys use for your PC parts ?

I used to use Ebuyer and to be honest didnt really have any issues with them, but I swapped to OverclockersUK because I had heard so much about them but I have had bad parts off them... 2 HDDs and a now it seems my motherboard is a dud, the HDDs were refunded / replaced with no issues but support reckons I can only send the mobo back and WAIT up to 28 days for it to be repaired or replaced by Gigabyte.
I got the board in Jan, it had issues then but I wrongly suspected the power supply so I replace that instead... I did ask the support guy if I could get credit for the board and I would buy a new board rather than yank out my current board and be without a PC for that long.
PC does more than gaming for me, its my music playing device, video playing device, game coding device, web browser, e-mail system.... shit I even read some books on it :P

The issue with the mobo ? It start / stops until I perform the required ritual of switching it off at the plug, wait for the power in the board to dissipate (blue LED switches off) , then switch the plug on them power up ( I also needed to play with the RAM but I think its the switch off at the power supply switch and wait that does it, rather than the RAM switching).
I did troubleshoot the RAM and its not that.
When it starts properly the PC runs fine, in fact as long as I dont switch off the damn thing too often I haven't got any issues.

This has made me wonder at the quality of OverclockersUK, and I am not too happy with the response to the borked mobo, because on top of the pain of needing to re-install a mobo the support can only offer to repair / replace the mobo after I return it and I'll need to wait without a PC for up to 28 days.
I am considering a new supplier , like Scan or Misko or even going back to Ebuyer but other than the mobo OverclockersUK havent been too bad really... makes me wonder if I am over reacting to the issue with the mobo, or even than its not reasonable on my part to be unhappy that I cant get credit / refund on a nearly 8 month used mobo I bought from them.

... other question is : Should I go with Gigabyte again, the support guy said there had been issues with Gigabyte boards failing to boot past post... been looking at Asus or MSI boards, not planning to go on the cheap this time.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Re: OverclockersUK, really that good ?

Postby coldandtired on Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:59 am

The response about the motherboard is normal. Under EU consumer law the retailer has 30 days to repair/replace the item (they get to choose whether to repair or replace). If something breaks within the first six months it is considered defective from purchase and you might be able to push for a replacement (not sure though).

Within the first two years it's the retailer's responsibility, not the manufacturers, so make sure you send it to them and not directly to Gigabyte. They are also legally obliged to cover sending costs both ways.
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Player: coldandtired
STEAM_0:0:27915503

Postby Shuriken on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:48 am

I've boycotted OCUK since they sell stuff they don't own, lie to you about it, act condescending as fuck and are generally more expensive than scan.co.uk. I can't dissuade people from using them enough. Their only saving grace is their returns and that's probably because that's all they ever do.

As for Gigabyte I can't really say either way, I've only ever had a couple of their boards but neither have failed. Personally I prefer asrock but I've used Asus and MSI boards a dozen times each and all have been fairly solid.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Deathtaker27 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:10 pm

As someone who has had a family member work in the chain from which overclockers purchase their goods from I do not trust them at all.

I personally use scan.co.uk, cclonline.com or ebuyer.co.uk for the majority of my hardware purchases. Find much better customer support with them etc (and scan do free next day shipping offers which makes me biased towards them)
Thanks Podge, speccy and Tao
Deathtaker27
Old Timer

Player: DT27
STEAM_0:1:22687060

Postby hagz on Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:51 pm

i use Ebuyer.com for most of my stuff, never used OCUK so cannot comment. Scan were always very prompt in delivery and fairly priced.
hagz
Senior Admin

Player: Hagz/koalaty.ovh
STEAM_0:1:5480023

Postby Silkie on Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:55 pm

I tend to take advantage of their deals on graphics cards but otherwise CCLonline or Scan with KustomPC (based in Ayr) for some of the wackier stuff. I can't say I've had any real problems with them but I don't buy much kit these days TBH.
"I prefer the company of animals more than the company of humans.
Certainly, a wild animal is cruel.
But to be merciless is the privilege of civilised humans."
Silkie
Experienced Member

Player: Silkie
STEAM_0:0:523712

Postby Cap'n Neuro on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:16 am

I've never had a problem at all with OCUK. Stuff's always arrived on time and in perfect condition.

The closest I ever had to a problem was ordering keycaps for a friend. They accidentally sent black instead of purple, and before they even arrived I got an email telling me that they'd ballsed it up and were sending the purple ones, to keep the black ones too as it was their mistake, and apologized that the purple ones would arrive a day late.

Can't fault them at all.

As a side note, I've never heard anything good from anybody who's had a Gigabyte motherboard. Friend is constantly bitching about his.
"The best laid plans of mice and men often break down to inherent cross-species communication barriers"
Cap'n Neuro
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Neuro the Legit Samurai
STEAM_0:0:3125332

Postby ApacheFlame on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:56 am

I have never really used OCUK, always found their prices to be a bit higher than I wanted to pay. I used to use ebuyer, but their really poor customer service hacked me off and I wont use them again.

I now use Scan or Amazon. Usually Amazon are a decent price and I have prime, so it's next day delivery.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby Cap'n Neuro on Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:06 pm

Yeah, OCUK seem to have slightly higher prices, but then again their sale prices can verge on the silly so I guess if you're willing to wait it definitely at least evens out.
"The best laid plans of mice and men often break down to inherent cross-species communication barriers"
Cap'n Neuro
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Neuro the Legit Samurai
STEAM_0:0:3125332

Postby SkeletalBOB on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:47 am

ImageImage
SkeletalBOB
Senior Admin

Player: SkeletalBOB on craptop
STEAM_0:0:41790546

Postby Flawless on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:17 am

Their website looks unprofessional enough to put me off any order > £5, I've thought this for 8 years and it still looks like the same.
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby Enigma on Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Cap'n Neuro wrote:As a side note, I've never heard anything good from anybody who's had a Gigabyte motherboard. Friend is constantly bitching about his.
They're actually alright. I've never had any real issues with them apart from being useless for overclocking anything.
Enigma
UKCS Sponsor

Player: nice dead server lmao
STEAM_0:1:29505170

Postby Ragonz on Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:00 am

Ebuyer - Shocking Customer service, will never use them again. Was on the verge of going to hit one of them when they cost me £400
Scan - No problems, recommend them
OCUK - again no problems here, good service on the one thing I've had to send back
CCL - no problems, seem a little more expensive
Dabs - Meh
Amazon - no problems, but personally I prefer going to computer orientated companies rather than "We do everything" sites
Kustom - Excellent, Graham is a great guy
Asus Sabertooth X58 Motherboard | I7 -950 @ 5.2Ghz | Crucial 18GB 1600Mhz Ballistix memory | Saphire HD7970 | Coolermaster 700W PSU | Watercooled

Xfire - Ragonz
Steam Rush Evo
http://www.Pingperfect.com
Ragonz
Home Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: -=TSH=-Ragonz
STEAM_0:1:2842690

Postby kan on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:16 pm

OCUK sent me a mobo with no heatsink mount and penciled in overclock settings in the manual (was sold as new)

Took me forever to sort out so not a fan.

Huge thanks to Xerxes for the sig :)
kan
Executive Admin
Senior Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Cake =^o.o^=
STEAM_0:1:5367050

Location: Living room, near fire but not close enough to burn

Postby TheChugnut on Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:50 pm

I've not used them since they sold me a faulty PSU that would cut out randomly, which I bought it with other components for a build for my father. I ruled everything else out with thorough testing and told them it was intermittent. They wanted to test it which was expected, but they obviously didn't run it for any length of time as they sent it back to me the following day, stating their was nothing wrong with it. It cost me about £60 in total (including courier), and they ignored all further efforts to get it resolved. Because of this they lost a customer and I will always advise people to avoid them.

I've used Scan every time for the years since the above and have received amazing service from them. :)
Image Image
TheChugnut
UKCS Sponsor

Player: The Chugnut
STEAM_0:1:4630595

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:23 am

I shop around for the best price.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437