oc'ing a 965 be.

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

oc'ing a 965 be.

Postby EWJ on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:58 am

Hi everybody!
I need help with oc'ing my CPU.

Its a phenom x4 965 BE 3.4ghz. the board is a 990fx extreme 3.
Basically the problem is, I haven't a fecking clue how to oc anything.
help with images and or step by step instructions would be nice. :P
Not looking for miracles just a liitle increase to 3.8- 4ghz
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Re: oc'ing a 965 be.

Postby Slavechild on Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:07 pm

Wait I thought you were a PC wiz kid man
Magical Facebook Fairy wrote:Image
Slavechild
Home Member

Player: Slavechild
STEAM_0:1:26412177

Postby EWJ on Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:08 pm

pfft. no I just pretend to know what I'm talking about.. I.e I'm full of shit.
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Flare on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:48 pm

Overclocking is risky but if you are prepared to risk a damaged CPU and Motherboard, try googling your CPU + Motherboard + Overclock , I got a few useful looking hits.

Thing is even a small increase leads to a higher temperature in the CPU, and the rest of the board, so you will have to get some decent cooling fans as the stock stuff wont be able to cope with much overclocking, then your power supply will be tested so if its too small the overclock will fail... you also have to stress test the thing, quiet often you can get a stable looking overclock only to have it crash out mid game with a blue screen of death.

It also shortens the lifespan of the CPU, basically burning the candle at a much faster rate will burn the candle out faster type of thing.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Little_Devil on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:02 am

Over-clocking is more of an education than most think.

What do you want to over-clock and why ?

There are multiple aspects to doing this, so you really need to educate yourself in the different parts and understand the reasons for this.
As anyone who has over-clocked knows, heat is an issue but there are ways around this, by either providing adequate cooling or stopping the increased clock rate using as much power.
People tend to increase Voltage to get the faster switching speeds and as far as the CPU is concerned this may be true, however when it comes to devices such as memory this may not be true, and depends entirely on the manufacturer of the device, and indeed a lower voltage may even be more optimal.
Its all a question of trial and error.

As long as the power supply was over specced when you bought the machine, then there should be no problems, however a lot of PC manufacturers want to sell cheap with the largest profit margin, so put components in that are adequate to the task, and no more.

You can try overclocking, but I would do it in small increments or at least find an article where it has been done on exactly the same spec machine as your own.

Use prime 95 or linX to test for stability after each change you make, when you get a failure, you back off to the previous setting then soak test over a long period, making sure you monitor temperatures.

I had a quick look at some other for OC that chip, and most can get it up to 3.7GHz without resorting to increasing the CPU Voltage, and it looks like a speed of 4GHz can be achieved, however at what financial cost I have no idea.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby EWJ on Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:45 pm

Have it to a steady 3.8. No issues with my cheap aftermarket cooler. Wasn't stable at 4.0.
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Little_Devil on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:05 pm

You have to increase the CPU Voltage to get it to clock higher apparently.

The problem with this is the increased Voltage can mean increased Watts, it all depends on how well the CPU handles it.

The clock pulse is supposed to be square wave as in 0 to V+ in 0 time but clock pulses vary from machine to machine, with either fast rise times and then overshoot or a slower rise time. The first can be better as the decay time of the bounce may be fast, so less current is drawn, it all depends on how good the CPU and the motherboard is.

My CPU fan broke down, or rather fell to bits in May, however having invested in a decent CPU cooler originally the machine still works OK without the fan. I am not over clocking for obvious reasons and tbh I would not bother doing so.

I always start from the premise of outside in, apart from the mother board being the basis of a good system. Peripheral devices need to be a decent spec, be that a mouse, modem/routers, HDD be that SSD or SSHDD. Then gfx card, memory and bus speed, the CPU last of all.
If you get all the peripherals working at optimum speed first, you will get a big improvement in game play. It does not matter how fast you clock a CPU over stock, if you cannot get good communication, between the external components.

Data throughput is the key to a faster machine, and a fast clocking CPU is not worth a penny if data cannot be stored and retrieved at a fast rate. People tend to think that higher CPU clock speeds will give a big improvement, but the biggest improvements come from these peripherals being optimised.
If you are getting 3.8 GHz stable CPU, you should be looking at the peripherals, such as RAM speed and Voltages, bus speed and Gfx card tweaking, and not bother trying to push the CPU any further. Trying to up the Voltage and increasing the clock speed will work apparently, but you are talking about having to get rid of extra heat, which may cost you in cooling parts.

I just bought a cooler for my gfx card, as the fan is making an awful noise now, together with a CPU fan £50 just to keep things cool.
This is the newer version of my CPU cooler. mine had a single fan http://www.quietpc.com/cnps9900-df
and this is the Gfx card cooler http://www.quietpc.com/gel-icy-vision-amd
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby Little_Devil on Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:24 am

Just out of interest, have you over clocked your gfx card and if so how much has it improved things. btw new gfx cooler has lowered the temperature of my card by around 15 - 20 deg C
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby EWJ on Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:26 pm

Was looking at it. I've a HD 7870 and amd provides its own oc'ing software. Might have a go when I'm off next week.
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby EWJ on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:02 pm

OK, after messing about with oc's I'm probably gonna update my system.
Options are:
A: upgrade CPU and Mobo. Thinking an i5 4690 not sure which mobo..
Or
B: upgrade GPU (HD 7870) to something like a 970 or 290x

Can't upgrade fully.

Basically, any ideas which of the above will work better for gaming.. Mainly playing Bf4, planet side these days.
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Security on Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:31 am

I believe BF4 leans allot on CPU power and I haven't got a clue about PS2 but I suspect CPU heavy as well.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby EWJ on Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:33 pm

ok.. after looking into this more i'd be bottlenecked if i increase the GPU.

now its a decision to spend on an i5 and mobo or just get a better AMD chip than the 965
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Security on Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:00 pm

You could see if you can get a AM3+ socket CPU (they also fit in AM3 sockets) for cheap as an upgrade, do check if your motherboard supports the CPU tho (you might have to do a BIOS update) before buying it.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby EWJ on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:09 pm

aye was thinking the 8370 or even 9370 chip would be nice. But looking online I'm not sure if its worth the cash.
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Flare on Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:16 pm

I tried a 'cheap' upgrade once, by just changing the AMD CPU and the result was lacklustre at best, hardly a noticeable change whereas a change from AMD to Intel was far more impactful in comparison, of course it was more pricey as I adjusted the RAM as well... so board, RAM and CPU (plus new thermal paste and cans of air dusters), just make sure you have a CPU fan and / or its compatible.

I would say its better to get a decent Intel board and a reasonably priced CPU with a mind to later upgrade that CPU when some spare cash comes along, just the change from AMD to Intel will give you some boost initially and if you select a board that can take a top end CPU later its a cheap upgrade later.

Not to smear AMD, but its forte is affordable CPU's whereas Intel do performance better, generally speaking.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Security on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:26 am

You will get the same performance difference when you upgrade to a modern AMD CPU... The key thing is that what he has now is his CPU from 2009 and not the fact that it is an AMD CPU and not an Intel one. ;)
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets