Phone Line Extension Lead

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Phone Line Extension Lead

Postby Dauntless on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:45 pm

Due to lack of reasonable places for me to put my router I am having to extend my phone line to my spare room upstairs. This has recently led to some really bad connection speeds and at times can be reminiscent of dial up speeds.

I have tried putting the box down stairs direct without an extension lead and it has proven that the lead is the issue and I'm thinking this may be due to the quality of the extension lead. So basically does anyone know of any decent phone line extension leads that provide a good constant wireless connection?
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Re: Phone Line Extension Lead

Postby EvolvedMonkey on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:22 pm

No matter what phone line extension you get you will get the same problem. There isnt much difference between one set of two copper wires and another.

Best option would be to go for a homeplug kit that uses your electricity supply to send the data through ethernet cable. You can also get wireless homeplug kits as well.
But I'm feeling good, And if you don't exist, you're still one illusion that I can't resist
EvolvedMonkey
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: EvolvedMonkey
STEAM_0:0:183417

Postby re# Skilgannon on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:37 pm

those homeplug kits are awesome, we use one :)
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby hagz on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:01 am

I use the homeplugs too. but tbh you may just have had a badly made extension. I rewired my socket into my living room (I am an Openreach Engineer though) and suffered no loss of speed. If you do know of any local BT engineers ask them if they will move it for you. could save you a few quid.
hagz
Senior Admin

Player: Hagz/koalaty.ovh
STEAM_0:1:5480023

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:09 am

Could also be the socket you are plugging into. I have had poor connections because of the way the wire is put into the connector. What is supposed to happen is that when you push the wire into the forked wire connector, it is supposed to cut through the sleeving and connect to the bare wire. Sometimes you can get connectors which don't cut all the way through the sleeving correctly, so you end up with a poor partial connection.

Only sure fire way is to get someone experienced to remake all connections.

btw I use an ethernet over mains adaptor as well, for my WD TV box, and find it OK.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Dauntless on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:23 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it.
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Postby rgslane the trackpad on Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:41 pm

I'd look into getting something like a devolo: http://www.devolo.com/uk/Products/dLAN-650+

rgslane the trackpad
UKCS Sponsor

Player: mousepad returns
STEAM_0:1:43601753

Postby hagz on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:10 pm

dauntless i might have a couple of these homeplugs/powerline adaptors you can have in a week or so let me know and when i get them i will post them on.
hagz
Senior Admin

Player: Hagz/koalaty.ovh
STEAM_0:1:5480023

Postby Little_Devil on Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:49 pm

rgslane the trackpad wrote:I'd look into getting something like a devolo: http://www.devolo.com/uk/Products/dLAN-650+

Those have an ethernet connection which is fine and the type I use (TPlink which work well), they also do wireless types too now, at a slightly increased price.

A range of them here http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... m2h2we0e_b
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Kaelan002 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:02 pm

Just a note on the TP links, I've had a couple, and they've all had a pretty irritating coil whine. It's not too bad stuffed behind a desk, but I'd avoid if you're going to be right next to one.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets