Mobile Phone advice needed

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Re: Mobile Phone advice needed

Postby EWJ on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:42 pm

On the moto g? Its the Google playmusic player on mine..
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Silkie on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Yes but I just found not having a bog standard player a bit odd. I might mooch through the store and see what I can find. Even if it cost a few quid to be ad free a nice player with a clean interface should do.
"I prefer the company of animals more than the company of humans.
Certainly, a wild animal is cruel.
But to be merciless is the privilege of civilised humans."
Silkie
Experienced Member

Player: Silkie
STEAM_0:0:523712

Postby hagz on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:41 pm

well if you find one silkie let me know
hagz
Senior Admin

Player: ES'9/Hagz
STEAM_0:1:5480023

Postby Security on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:22 pm

That is a very odd thing. :/
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Little_Devil on Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:54 am

Quality control is key of course, and just because a phone is branded, does not mean it has good quality control.

Take Apple with its earlier phones. The aerial was around the circumference of the phone, but this was not found to be an issue until the public started complaining about poor signal quality.
Quality control is never 100%, as it is a batch testing procedure and is based on a statistical tool.

Where Chinese phones break down, is the quality control being done on a larger batch size, however I have found that customer service is far better in most cases, than branded products.
I had reason to send a phone back recently due to a manufacturing defect, that could have happened on any phone, although I suspect it was because the production line was over capacity on the flow soldering. Basically the USB port was dry jointed so after repeated insertions of the USB charger, the solder broke. It took altogether 5 days to get a replacement phone, the Chinese seller being exceptionally helpful.

My problem with branded products is that you pay through the nose for the name, and get little benefit over and above that in terms of real quality. Paying at a minimum 3 times more for a product that is going to be outdated within a few years makes bad financial sense.

It a phone with bits added on, an advertising and market research tool for the O.S. producer and apps providers.

Every Android phone I have come across has a pre-installed music player, although I find it lacking in many ways. I use Music Folder, as this allows me to place albums in folders, and not have to worry that all the parameters for each song is correct. If for any reason the artist, track number, year, album etc are missing from any of the tracks, most music players don't want to include the whole folder as an album, but tries to separate it in the order it wants.

I found this one to be the best of the many I tried out, but there will be others, just that I found this then stopped looking as it does what I want. a folder is an album, play the album, done. :)

https://sites.google.com/site/zorillasoft/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... t&hl=en_GB

add free 99p

4.8 stars out of 5

I bought a second Android phone, just for the ability to use it for the Home Theatre system, with music files accessed from my server played over the music system. :D
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Silkie on Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:35 pm

Poor testing has long been the bane of the tech industry. Too many people volunteering to test stuff IMHO as a lot of people don't really hammer the equipment in the way a good tester should.

Still I love my new phone and after testing a trial version I forked out £1.45 for PlayerPro which seems to do everything I want.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Security on Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:01 pm

Little_Devil wrote:Where Chinese phones break down, is the quality control being done on a larger batch size, however I have found that customer service is far better in most cases, than branded products.
I had reason to send a phone back recently due to a manufacturing defect, that could have happened on any phone, although I suspect it was because the production line was over capacity on the flow soldering. Basically the USB port was dry jointed so after repeated insertions of the USB charger, the solder broke. It took altogether 5 days to get a replacement phone, the Chinese seller being exceptionally helpful.

Ah yeah a colleague of mine has a Doogie phone and it broke a couple of weeks after he got it, they simply send him a new one without asking questions (all he had to do was send the old phone back while the new one already was on it's way) which upped my trust in the cheap Chinese phones allot.

When it comes to Android I understand the feeling of paying for nothing more then the brand name but with Blackberry I feel that I am paying for a complete experience which just works (the software side is very good).
Apple is sort of the same, you pay for the complete ecosystem and not just the device, at the same time tho Apple has shown to go to extremes to increase there profit margin which actually lessens the same experience in multiple ways.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Little_Devil on Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:21 am

I like Blackberry as they do create their own ios and as such the phone works well. My only bug bear is the keyboard (which I like) being uncovered, and if they produced the keyboard on a slide phone it would be great.

Any phone that has its own IOS or modified IOS to work with the electronics is a bonus. I recently modified an android pad to cut through the layers of isolation to connect more directly with the drivers, the speed went up dramatically.

As far as the music player is concerned, if you are happy with it, then it is best for you. I shall have a look at it, but reviewers have said it no longer plays tracks in order, although you can never tell with some of these reviews if it is user dopiness or is a problem.
I did see this for the player, which you may be interested in.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .soundpack
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby heuji on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:46 pm

heuji wrote:
EWJ wrote:have the 1st gen Moto G. For its price its amazing. Wouldn't change it.. Well ok I would for the newest version.

same. still unbeatable in its price range. we also get lollipop soon-ish.

just installing android lollipop this very second <3

finally! :cheers:

heuji wrote:2 apps i use to keep mine clean are battery doctor and clean master both from CM. they come with 1 tap widgets and are great for ram optimising and killing irrelevent stuff. the widgets also have buttons to switch on/off data, wifi, screen brightness, volume, etc. to save digging in the settings. yes, they have ad's being 'free' but they are far from intrusive unlike some.

update on these two apps. progressively, almost after posting this, with each update these two apps got worse for ad's and constantly trying to get you to take the other apps they have. i also found that they, while good for general use, were bugging out games if i played them for a bit. also, because they were running all the time, if it was a power hungry game they would double the batttery use and it would drain really quickly. both have now been uninstalled.

either way, chuffed about finally getting android 5.0 lollipop. have you folks with other G's already got it? usually scotland is one of the last to get these things on rollout...
☁ every cloud has a silver lining, it's called rain! ☁
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Player: heuji
STEAM_0:0:5401050

Postby Security on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:38 pm

I vaguely remember something about licensing issues with Android phones and the music player where the solution for Google was to remove the standard player from Android, I could be completely wrong on this tho.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Silkie on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:48 am

Nothing here yet in England on an update.

I do like it but it has a problem about using the browser and music apps at the same time as it seems to like to kill the player and Spotify which is rather annoying. No music means having to listen to my tinnitus hum.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby hagz on Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:33 am

lol yeah no update for me yet either silkie
hagz
Senior Admin

Player: ES'9/Hagz
STEAM_0:1:5480023

Postby Silkie on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:08 pm

It's soon by the look of it as the Motorola software has updated and in the release notes said that it was to enable a future upgrade of your device to Android 5.0, Lollipop.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby EWJ on Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:59 pm

Mine ,and My wife's, Moto G updated 2 days ago. its coming! I quite like it and tbh haven't found much that annoys me yet.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Shuriken on Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:24 pm

And thanks to this discussion I've found my new phone, and dropped my bill by 3 quid a month :D
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby heuji on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:54 pm

Silkie wrote:Nothing here yet in England on an update.

I do like it but it has a problem about using the browser and music apps at the same time as it seems to like to kill the player and Spotify which is rather annoying. No music means having to listen to my tinnitus hum.

im using jet Audio, as i used that on my pc ages ago. it's not the best player around and has some odd quirks. i'm used to it though having had the pc version and stuck with android one. it will occasionally, do like you said, wierdly pause the music but you just app switch then double tap play/pause and it starts again. this is usually when doing something intensive though. i've not noticed it when just browing the web.

really liking lollipop. it is a LOT more than just an interface update. my only bug, which is small, is the unlocking passcode seems to be a little slower when keying in the numbers. the key presses register fine just it seems slower acknowledging it for some reason.
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Silkie on Wed May 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Hard to believe but still no update yet for me. Some people are waiting for the next version and I still haven't got the 1st.

:scratch:
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Shuriken on Wed May 13, 2015 7:29 pm

Wow damn, mine arrived Friday and updated immediately. Have to say I love the phone, the only time I've got it to crash so far is playing wheel of fortune.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Silkie on Wed May 13, 2015 8:11 pm

I swear the Midlands isn't even the map sometimes especially for stuff like this. I still like it but I was hoping to put an end to being left behind on updates like my last phone (ignored) and my Tablet which looks like it won't ever get any more updates.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby heuji on Sat May 16, 2015 7:14 am

there was something you had to manually update like 'moto phone updater' or some obvious app like that. i wouldn't think you'd be that far behind.
have you registered on the moto site? their online staff are extremely helpful.
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets