New Monitor (opinions welcome)

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

New Monitor (opinions welcome)

Postby Silkie on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:42 pm

I had a bit of a scare this AM when my aged Samsung 24 wouldn't come on which reminded me of how old it was and that maybe I needed to get a 2nd one as I have two computers and would prefer to keep them in different rooms. I fancy a 144hz and with a budget of around £200 may have found a perfect candidate already but am open to suggestions or opinions.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-G2460PQU-Widescreen-Multimedia-Kensington/dp/B00C144AYK#productDetails

It seems to get good reviews plus has a nice style and great adjust-ability with some features I really like.

DVI-D lead and VGA lead included along with a UK power lead.
Fully adjustable to portrait mode for productivity or lets face it a cool pinball game display.
Built in USB hub with a charging port which would be great for my phone/tablet.
Really lightweight at 2.1kg.

This would let my Samsung take light duty on the file/media server and be easier on my eyes for gaming. Unless you have any better ideas?
"I prefer the company of animals more than the company of humans.
Certainly, a wild animal is cruel.
But to be merciless is the privilege of civilised humans."
Silkie
Experienced Member

Player: Silkie
STEAM_0:0:523712

Re: New Monitor (opinions welcome)

Postby Little_Devil on Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:49 pm

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/24-aoc-g ... 1-speakers

Amazon £219.95 + FREE UK delivery
Scan £175.49 Inc VAT £186.98 inc UK delivery.

Have you looked at 4K gaming monitors yet. I am not going to bother upgrading just yet, as the 4K Acers are around the £300 mark, which is forcing down prices in general on monitors.

Other models to look at Asus http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-vg248qe-24--3d-lcd-monitor-full-hd-1ms-dvi-hdmi-915D.html £239.98 pretty much rated by everyone as the gold standard monitor @ 144
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby Silkie on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:58 am

It's gone up about £15 since I bought mine. I'm still in the mode of getting to know all it's features but so far I'm a happy purchaser and that charging USB that works from standbye is a nice little touch.

I have to hang fire right now as I'm sorting the finances for a college course out so that's my last major purchase for a while.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby ApacheFlame on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:26 pm

More a thumbs up for AOC really. I have one of their IPS panels (E2357FM), that I bought almost exactly 2 years ago. It's a lovely quality monitor and very stylish. Speakers are a bit tinny, but what do you expect when most of us have good quality headsets/standalone speakers.

My one criticism is more a criticism of IPS vs TN panels. My second monitor is a much older Samsung TN monitor. The blacks are nowhere near as good on the TN panel and the IPS seems so much brighers in all regards, but again, that's more a difference between the technologies rather than a criticism of AOC.

My AOC has a gloss finish, which can be mildly irritating in the wrong lighting conditions, again, I knew what to expect as I have a gloss finish on my laptop aswell, but a matt finish on the Samsung monitor.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby Little_Devil on Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:50 pm

Silkie wrote:It's gone up about £15 since I bought mine. I'm still in the mode of getting to know all it's features but so far I'm a happy purchaser and that charging USB that works from standbye is a nice little touch.

I have to hang fire right now as I'm sorting the finances for a college course out so that's my last major purchase for a while.

I hadn't noticed the date of the post tbh. I was just curious as to why, with the 4K monitors, why someone would bother with anything else, unless it was purely down to price.

The last time I had an AOC, I bought it second hand from work, as they were upgrading to the latest multiple monitor setups. That lasted me until I bought a bigger monitor (3 years), which was assigned to the scrap heap only because everyone was buying more updated monitors, and not because of any fault with the monitor itself.

I have a Samsung 24" no idea which model but it is ample for work and play, being 2 years old with no problems. No speakers, DVI input.

As far as USB charging, my PC does that whether it is on or not, which is handy for phone charging.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby Silkie on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:36 pm

I have a set of Harman Kardon Soundsticks III and a pair of corsair vengeance 1500 for audio myself.

I resist the temptation to play Blood Rave from the Blade soundtrack on it with the bass up as I get on well with my neighbours and want to keep it that way. :lol:
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Little_Devil on Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:52 pm

I suppose they are OK for the money. Harman are well known and of course have many professional audio companies under their name, trading as JBL, AKG and the likes. However my preferences are geared more to the speakers we used to use in the recording studios and despite Harman being good, I personally don't like the sound they give out.

Although we used Yamaha for near field, we used to use Far field monitors, which were bespoke. The high end sound was handled by JBL, which we found to be exceptional for that frequency range, 12" Celestion mid range and 15" RCF bass units. Not ideal for the home huh. However both Celestion and RCF make some exceptional audio monitors.

At home I use 12" Celestion bass, Warfdale mid range and JBL tweeters. Again rather large for the Computer system, but gives a true rich sound that has a lot better bass than any other sound system, apart from KEF.

I do run a 5 way surround sound system in conjunction with it for the Home theatre system, all under a single remote, but lets me turn on or off different parts of the system :) The surround sound acts as a filler or when the large speakers are off, as a quieter sound system, relatively speaking.

The reason I was asking about the 4K monitor, was my idea to eventually get a 4K TV, then use it as monitor as well, thus assigning the computer monitor to another system.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets