need to change graph card, I am so confused..

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

need to change graph card, I am so confused..

Postby TheHypnoToad on Fri May 22, 2015 10:25 am

hey fellas,

I am struggling with my AMD ATI RADEON 7700HD 1Gb guess DDR3, black screens with hdmi and dvi signal lost, random stripes on screen and some minor issues, the problems appears always when I run games (ETS 2; Company of Heroes and even DODs). :scratch:

To solve the problems I actually run-down the card to 750Mhz for both gpu and g-ram (the ''standard'' set on ati CC is 850 for gpu and 1250 for g-ram) and raise the fan from 40 to 60% speed, I found this solution 'round the web and seems to work. If I forget to do that the problem comes in. :ill:

now, I am disappointed, and I decide to change the card, I cannot continue this way. :evil:

I am looking for an Nvidia Geforce, I am a bit confused on the choice 'cause the offer is exterminate :shock: . I don't need somekind of interstellar graph card, but something that allows me to play the games without going mad.

My budget cap is 150€ (110£ more or less) and without any tecnical background, I've pick almost with feelings the GTX750Ti, can you guys help me to make the right choiche this time? 8)

thanks!!!

A.
Si vis pacem para bellum
TheHypnoToad
UKCS Admin

Player: TheHypnoToad
STEAM_0:0:43624675

Re: need to change graph card, I am so confused..

Postby Slavechild on Fri May 22, 2015 11:00 am

If you're lucky you might be able to pick up a GTX 680 on ebay within your budget, I've had one a good while now and it's never failed me.
Magical Facebook Fairy wrote:Image
Slavechild
Home Member

Player: Slavechild
STEAM_0:1:26412177

Postby Flare on Fri May 22, 2015 11:51 am

A GTX 580 or 680 should be enough to handle most PC titles if you are happy to play with the settings, it should deal with DoD:S and Company of Heroes with no issues at all.

The GTX750ti sounds more powerful but the number 750 makes it a low entry level card, low performance... even lower than the high end 680 or even 580.
The 580 lacks the special nVidia specific Anti Aliasing feature but I tend to turn off AA anyway as it hurts performance for what I think is such a little gain in fidelity.
The 680 has the AA if you really want it.

I personally have the GTX 780, but that costed me about £300, but its performance has been rock steady even when I push the settings.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby TheHypnoToad on Fri May 22, 2015 12:02 pm

thanks guys!

so a 580-680, maybe with 2Gb can be the deal, I'll take a look :)

EDIT: the 580 seems going offproduct, and the 680 float around 600€ new.. :shock: :shock:

did I've made some mistake? :scratch:

A.
Si vis pacem para bellum
TheHypnoToad
UKCS Admin

Postby Slavechild on Fri May 22, 2015 12:37 pm

My card is the 02G-P4-2680-KR
It's not something you really find new but there's one for £120 on ebay atm.
Magical Facebook Fairy wrote:Image
Slavechild
Home Member

Player: Slavechild
STEAM_0:1:26412177

Postby TheHypnoToad on Fri May 22, 2015 1:19 pm

ok got it,

so used is the key, unless I cannot find good preformance and low prices as far as I understand..

A.
Si vis pacem para bellum
TheHypnoToad
UKCS Admin

Postby Flare on Fri May 22, 2015 2:01 pm

I found a few 580's in Scan (UK online shop)

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-har ... 2-cores%29

May be worth having a look.

A card may be going off product but it will still run for a long time and nVidia drivers support older products, even my back up GTX280.

I couldnt find any 680's.... must of been a short run on that line of cards, the jump from 6xx to 7xx to 9xx was fast if I recall correctly (IIRC)

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby TheHypnoToad on Fri May 22, 2015 6:11 pm

a GTX660 can do the job too?

I've find one here in italy with 2Gb ram a little over my budget..

A.
Si vis pacem para bellum
TheHypnoToad
UKCS Admin

Postby TheHypnoToad on Sat May 23, 2015 7:51 am

well,

I can Answer myself with a yes. With a little more time this morning I've google around and find this site who offer a comparison to different graph card:

http://www.hwcompare.com/13304/geforce- ... n-hd-7770/

as you can see the 660 is WAY foward my actual gcard :cheers: Guess I can easly pick the 660, it will be an improvement to my sistem with no doubt on it :)

thanks for the help anyway!!!! you guys are awesome! :D

A.
Si vis pacem para bellum
TheHypnoToad
UKCS Admin

Postby Flare on Sat May 23, 2015 8:39 am

I hope the card will serve you well, at the very least nVidia's driver support is superior to AMD/ATi and this lets the card squeeze a bit more out.

Just as a curiosity I compared the 660 with the 580, and confirmed my assumptions that the 580 was still pretty competitive.
I cant vouch for the 660 as I personally tend to stick to the x80 versions of the cards, I got burnt a long time ago getting a card I thought was superior and it was actually a downgrade :P
In your case it seems the 660 is a better card than the Radeon you had in there.
I did note that the nVidia cards do tend to run hotter than the Radeons and are considerably noisier.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby K3V on Sat May 23, 2015 10:04 am

I would strongly recommend saving a little longer to reach a budget of £170 and getting this mate : http://www.dabs.com/products/msi-geforc ... 0000&src=3 (UK site but maybe an ITA equivalent?)

A 960 will be a strong upgrade and future proof for quite sometime. I've gone the used path from Ebay a few times and have good and bad stories. There's a bit of luck involved of course. Bottom line - if there's not much in the price difference go new as a warranty will be your best friend if something goes wrong. £20 above that will get you a 4GB version in case you go higher res (What monitor res are you using btw?)

K3V
UKCS Admin

Player: K3V
STEAM_0:1:3871642

Postby TheHypnoToad on Sat May 23, 2015 12:12 pm

K3V wrote:I would strongly recommend saving a little longer to reach a budget of £170 and getting this mate : http://www.dabs.com/products/msi-geforc ... 0000&src=3 (UK site but maybe an ITA equivalent?)
A 960 will be a strong upgrade and future proof for quite sometime. I've gone the used path from Ebay a few times and have good and bad stories. There's a bit of luck involved of course. Bottom line - if there's not much in the price difference go new as a warranty will be your best friend if something goes wrong. £20 above that will get you a 4GB version in case you go higher res (What monitor res are you using btw?)

I've found a MSI with the GTX960 with 2Gb for 215€ (150£) circa, it's new and as just as you say the warrant is my best friend :) maybe I can squeeze my budget a little and try to catch it; the 4gb I've found reach 300€, branded asus, but it's like half of the money I've spend to buy the whole brand new pc :shock: I don't think I need so much :D

atm I am in dual monitoring sistem; the primary is an Asus 24'' (hdmi), the secondary is another Asus 19'' wide (dvi) both with a res of 1920x1080 @ 75Hz;

thanks!! :cheers:

A.
Si vis pacem para bellum
TheHypnoToad
UKCS Admin

Postby K3V on Sat May 23, 2015 3:02 pm

Well as long as not gaming multi screen then the 960 2GB will be more than enough, good cards - I'm hoping to get the 980 this year (or the new Titan if I get carried away). I've had the 780 for a year or so, and Lilly's got the 760 and they run everything great, had no problems with either. Everything I hear about the 900 series is that its a significant leap upwards too - can only be a good thing. :)

A good i5 (if you can get the Intel Core i5-4690K, thats the best one for gaming at mo - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-cp ... 32901.html) 16GB of RAM, that will be a sweet PC mate. :)

K3V
UKCS Admin

Player: K3V
STEAM_0:1:3871642

Postby TheHypnoToad on Sat May 23, 2015 3:15 pm

I've already an i5 the 4460 and 8Gb, I think I am going to upgrade to 16 this winter :) first I need to fix the graph,

ok, so monday time to change!!! :!: :wink:

A.
Si vis pacem para bellum
TheHypnoToad
UKCS Admin

Postby Little_Devil on Sun May 31, 2015 12:15 am

TheHypnoToad wrote:hey fellas,

I am struggling with my AMD ATI RADEON 7700HD 1Gb guess DDR3, black screens with hdmi and dvi signal lost, random stripes on screen and some minor issues, the problems appears always when I run games (ETS 2; Company of Heroes and even DODs). :scratch:

thanks!!!

A.

I had a similar problem where the card had hot spots due to a failing fan.

I bought this one and no more problems. Temperature runs at around 27 deg C off load, opposed to the 49 deg prior to its installation.
http://www.quietpc.com/gel-icy-vision-amd
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby TheHypnoToad on Sun May 31, 2015 12:16 pm

thanks little_devil,

my fan works properly, I've read a lot of theories on the failure of this ATI card. btw, tomorrow my new GTX960 comes in, I'll give you feedback on this new one :)

A.
Si vis pacem para bellum
TheHypnoToad
UKCS Admin

Postby Little_Devil on Sun May 31, 2015 12:40 pm

GTX 960 is a decent card.
tbh I would change the stock cooler for something better, depending on the type of cooling system the 960 comes with. Given that although stock coolers are designed to cool the cards down adequately most are not designed for longevity. However as there are so many different variations on the coolers depending on manufacturer, I could not rightly say it would be the correct course of action. I can only say I wished I had done that at the start.

I tend to think those with the dual fan assemblies are better that those with the encased type fan, but not because they are more efficient by any means, just that they are easier to clean out.
There are a number of problems with any cooling assembly, the first and foremost is the fans.
Now you may be forgiven for thinking that fans are not that much different when they are made for a particular purpose, but with any product a saving of just a few cents can make a massive difference to underlying profit margins, based on thousands of unit quantities sold.

Manufacturers fans are usual bush bearings with a MTBF (mean time between failure) of the warranty time plus a little extra, after all you do want sales :P
After sales fans are usually roller bearing type with an MTBF far exceeding the expected life of your card. Then you have air flow rate and noise to consider, the after market ones you have a choice depending on what you use your card for.
As I said ease of cleaning out heat sinks is equally important, the encased types, probably like those on your 7700HD, are the worst to maintain as even stripping them down is a major task. The open fan types are also less likely to clog up and you can easily see when they do start to get a bit gunky :)
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby TheHypnoToad on Sun May 31, 2015 5:37 pm

actually the GTX I purchase comes with 2 fans (guess the manifacturer is the MSI) I guess It's better than my actuall card fan, that is smaller and closed on a plastic chassis. the card anyways seems suffer some more problems other than cooling, I think something is going off and maybe stop functioning in a while, so I've decided to change It with something not ATI just for trying something else :)

A.
Si vis pacem para bellum
TheHypnoToad
UKCS Admin

Postby Little_Devil on Sun May 31, 2015 6:34 pm

MSI make decent cards and I can see the fan arrangement is better than some other manufacturers which have the closed case design.
I hope it works well for you, although I am sure it will :)
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets