PC Problem (hardware)

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

PC Problem (hardware)

Postby Silkie on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:54 pm

Oh joy my cursed games PC having been fixed for a while has gone for the big one this time. Having RMA's part of the RAM, replaced the graphics card and taken the opportunity to upgrade to an SSD it decided that it would be jolly fun to pick right now to go for a more major fault.

Having had some problems over the last few days which indicated probable motherboard problems this morning it went all the way and started refusing to post. When it would post even left in the BIOS looking at the hardware monitor it locks while oddly enough still reporting the fan speed and CPU temperature. I stripped the machine down to basics removing all but the RAM, CPU and onboard graphics. The PSU tests OK on a testing device and just to be on the safe side I swapped out the keyboard.

This kind of points to the mainboard as it had been having an occasional cold boot tantrum. My problem is I have no other hardware available to test the CPU or RAM as my spare kit is too old.

So occasion first boot issues cured by a reset.
Deteriorating to the point where yesterday it hard locked, caused a problem with the OS that needed a partial auto repair.
Right now it simply won't remain responsive but that odd thing of appearing to continue to work while stopping responding to key presses.

New board? It seems that way but unfortunately that might also mean a new case, PSU and a cooler as the machine won't take a standard board.
"I prefer the company of animals more than the company of humans.
Certainly, a wild animal is cruel.
But to be merciless is the privilege of civilised humans."
Silkie
Experienced Member

Player: Silkie
STEAM_0:0:523712

Re: PC Problem (hardware)

Postby Flare on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:34 pm

Try reset the BIOS to default / safe settings... should be a CMOS clear jumper / button on most boards.

Check the compatibility between CPU and the Mobo , check which BIOS version supports what CPU.
Its possible the Motherboard could support a certain CPU but only after a BIOS update.

How many sticks of RAM do you have, you could try one stick at a time if you have multiples.

Is the PSU rated power well above the requirements of your system ? Cheaper PSU may peak to the rated power but can also dip well under when stressed.

Thats all I can think of at the moment, hope something helps you out.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Kaelan002 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:18 pm

Weird for a board to fail like that, usually it would be all or nothing, or at least a consistent problem.

How old is it? If it's old enough to still use the kind, I'd check for any burst capacitors (especially if I was made before ~2007), or if not, general blown components. If it's not the bios, it may be a component failing, but only intermittently/with a certain load.

Doesn't help you in fixing it, but at least you'll know it's the board.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby Silkie on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:40 pm

Well it worked in its original config for quite a while. Then I had a problem traced to faulty fans on the graphics card and failed RAM. It actually ran fine for a long time but then began recently to be stroppy on boot. BIOS was fully up to date before the fresh install when I upgraded it some months back. The machine was built 5 years ago while the graphics card and SSD are less than 6 months old.

As I said I can't isolate the problem to the necessary components due to a lack of test known good. I have no other board to test the RAM or CPU and no CPU for the board.

The RAM is a quality brand but I did have 1 stick of the 2 sets fail. The nature of the problem is so odd.

I can go into the BIOS and when it locks and stops responding to keyboard input you can still see the figures for the hardware monitoring update.

I'm torn as to what to do next. To replace it I could use an existing case and PSU but I'd need at least a mainboard/CPU/cooler bundle. Seems 1155 has been forgotten and the boards available tend towards 2 DDR only.

I'm not too lucky with computers. I finally find a replacement battery for my laptop and my gaming fails.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Kaelan002 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:24 pm

If you do want a cpu to test, I have an old socket 1155 pentium G20something you can borrow.
You'll have to give me £1 for the postage and ship it back to me, but it does work.

(It's crappy, and worth bugger all)
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby Silkie on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:49 pm

I certainly appreciate the offer. I threw my arm out yesterday so I decided to let it rest until the ice packs do their work.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Little_Devil on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:11 pm

Do you have a PC speaker attached.

Which BIOS is it ?

Depending on the BIOS the beep codes will point out what the possible fault is, but given this fault does not appear to be constant, does the fault change between first cold start and repeated latter cold starts. Definition of a cold start is where the power has been removed, waited a short while for everything to discharge, then plugged back in.

You can remove pretty much everything except the CPU and still listen to the POST, or if you know anyone who has a POST reader, it would be handy.

Check for shorts or even partial shorts, inspect the PCB as best you can.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_ ... beep_codes
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets