Looking for a mouse

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Looking for a mouse

Postby Ama_ on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:09 am

I'm using a Steelseries Sensei Raw for 2 years; it's definitely the best mouse I ever had and I wouldn't change if I hadn't been diagnosed with a cubital nerve compression and carpal tunnel syndrome a few days ago.
I have heard that vertical mice help a lot relieving the pain caused by hours spent using a computer, sadly these are quite expensive and I have no idea if they'd be adapted for gaming.
I've already changed my desk, lighting and chair, so I am now looking to change my mouse if that can help relieve the pain.

I'm looking for a mouse that
- would have an adapted shape so that my arm would be less twisted when using it, in order to relieve the pain;
- would be good enough for gaming, knowing I mainly play FPS (TF2...) and hack n slash games;
- would be possibly wireless.

I'd be glad to read any suggestions from you and your input if you have used more ergonomic devices such as the vertical mouse.

Thanks for your help! :)

Ama_

Player: Λmα_
STEAM_0:0:37787598

Re: Looking for a mouse

Postby Kaelan002 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:30 am

Might not be what you're looking for... but these

are amazing. Switched back to a mouse for about a month after my first one broke and completely wrecked both my wrists. Never going back.

Games take some practive, but it's gotten to the point where I'm more precise with it, than with a mouse.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby Ama_ on Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:03 pm

I didn't consider buying a trackball thinking it'd take a lot of time for me to adapt but have you experienced arm/wrist pain due to the use of a mouse? If so did using the trackball relieve it? That sounds like an interesting alternative and it'd be cheaper than buying a vertical mouse...

Ama_

Postby Flare on Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:15 pm

Have you also considered a mousepad with a wrist rest padding ?

something like this :

http://www.ebuyer.com/74617-kensington- ... tAoddvUODA

Not sure if it would help in your case, and that model I linked is not something I am personally using...just the first link that popped up after a search, there is probably mush better (and expensive) ones out there but you should get the idea by looking at the mousepad.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Kaelan002 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:11 pm

I did, yeah, had to switch to my left hand before switching to a trackball. Been fine since.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby Ama_ on Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:02 pm

Flare wrote:Have you also considered a mousepad with a wrist rest padding ?

something like this :

http://www.ebuyer.com/74617-kensington- ... tAoddvUODA

Not sure if it would help in your case, and that model I linked is not something I am personally using...just the first link that popped up after a search, there is probably mush better (and expensive) ones out there but you should get the idea by looking at the mousepad.

I'm not sure it would help as I get pain from having the arm unnaturally positioned and twisted due to the use of the mouse. The wrist rest would maybe reduce the pain I get from having the bottom of my palm resting on the mousepad when holding the mouse but it wouldn't reduce the twist. I think a better shaped mouse would help more in my case as I've noticed that I have less pain when I don't twist my arm so much.

Kaelan: thanks for your input, I'll see if I can find reviews for that trackball.

Ama_

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets